Watch Freeks banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone, I inherited this watch and have been trying to research it, but results have been dry. All I have been able to find out was that the company is (was) an offshoot of Gallet & co. The face says Jules Racine, Quartz, swiss made and the movement is marked Harley 6 jewel unadj swiss 375. Also the in inside of case back is marked racine swiss. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
imported post

Courtesy of nawcc

Jules was the American distributor for Gallet. They didn't make watches, as all components were supplied by Gallet - although they were branded "Racine" or "Gallet by Racine".
It is a bit unclear what happened to Racine, although I suspect that they were absorbed back into Gallet, just like they did with Excelsior Park, during the 'quartz crisis' of the 70's.
As I understand it, Enicar was started by another cousin, but through a falling-out, set out on his own path. I don't think there is any direct corellation between the two companies.

That's about all I can find too. And this

after about 1960 the connection gets pretty vague. I have a feeling that Jules Racine wanted to make a name for himself rather than relying on Gallet - although it was Gallet that supplied the vast majority of cases/ movements to them. I have a couple Gallet watches with "Gallet by Racine" on the dial, I bet it was after the 1960's that he dropped all external reference to Gallet.

Also here, scroll down and there's a remark about Racine.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2usau&1098284422

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

tinknocker wrote:
Courtesy of nawcc

Jules was the American distributor for Gallet. They didn't make watches, as all components were supplied by Gallet - although they were branded "Racine" or "Gallet by Racine".
It is a bit unclear what happened to Racine, although I suspect that they were absorbed back into Gallet, just like they did with Excelsior Park, during the 'quartz crisis' of the 70's.
As I understand it, Enicar was started by another cousin, but through a falling-out, set out on his own path. I don't think there is any direct corellation between the two companies.

That's about all I can find too. And this

after about 1960 the connection gets pretty vague. I have a feeling that Jules Racine wanted to make a name for himself rather than relying on Gallet - although it was Gallet that supplied the vast majority of cases/ movements to them. I have a couple Gallet watches with "Gallet by Racine" on the dial, I bet it was after the 1960's that he dropped all external reference to Gallet.

Also here, scroll down and there's a remark about Racine.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2usau&1098284422
Thank your for your response and information. It seems as though after Jules Racine went off on his own the information trail ends. Now it makes more sense that the movement in my watch is from a different company, once Racine left Gallet he would have had to get parts from elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
imported post

If you dig into watch history, you will find Daniel Jean Richard may have had a hand in the mix and match development. Swiss watches were often cobbled together to save money, companies got bought up for factories names sold. Pop up again, it's really a conundrum
Example is Eterna, the developer of the eta line.
Pretty sure patents were amen and name sold. To a Chinese company. Still ongoing. Makes for great reading if interested.
I may be wrong.... Always check..... This is just from my recollection, names and dates elude me. Pretty sure though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

tomsimac wrote:
If you dig into watch history, you will find Daniel Jean Richard may have had a hand in the mix and match development. Swiss watches were often cobbled together to save money, companies got bought up for factories names sold. Pop up again, it's really a conundrum
Pretty sure patents were amen and name sold. To a Chinese company. Still ongoing. Makes for great reading if interested.
I may be wrong.... Always check..... This is just from my recollection, names and dates elude me. Pretty sure though.
Thanks for the information, I didn't realize watch history was that complex.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apologies for opening an old thread but the Jules Racine shown above is a watch that I've been trying to track down for several years!

I can't really add to what's been posted above other than the case and bezel on this is identical to that used on an old military issue watch that was made by Precista back in the early 80's. The dial and hands also have some similarities too.

Ironically I've been trying to source a Jules Racine like the one above for years but without success - now this!

So why my interest? If you're into military watches you may have come across the 82 Precista - Eddie at Timefactors has recently made a modern homage to this watch but the one I'm talking about is the original military issue Precista that was only issued in very small numbers in 1981 and 1982. I have an original 82 issue but it's missing its bezel - hence my interest in the Jules Racine. I've tried to contact the owner of the watch through the forum to see if we could agree a deal but unfortunately I've not had any replies to my messages.

So if anybody has a similar watch to jg1688's please let me know!

This is a pic of 2 of my military issued Precistas (there are 7 issued Precistas, all of which I now have, but that's another story) - the one on the left is a 93 issue and the one on the right with the missing bezel is the 82. I've since had the 82 cleaned up, serviced and a new tube & crown fitted but I still need that bezel!:(

Cheers,
Phil

·
Registered
4,593 Posts

Eterna and Corum now have controlling interests held by the Haiden group (Chinese) both of these companies are still being allowed to operate with autonomy. The Chinese have a thirst for Swiss Luxury watches and they want to market them, but keep them Swiss.

Both of these companies are still headquartered, manufactured and operated in Switzerland, and both of these companies still manufacture in-house movements.

In an analogy, this would be the same situation as Jaguar Motors being owned by Tata Motors, and Indian company since 2008. did that diminish the brand?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts