Watch Freeks banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, recently my hands have been itching to get a German dress watch to fill in a gap in my collection, which are all divers and gshocks. I've looked at the swiss offerings such as Tissot and Longines but none of them really speaks to me, their dress watch somehow lacks of something imo.

I narrowed it down to Max Bill and Club Campus as my pick. Both are good in their own way but:

Max Bill: Interesting backstory but will the "can't never go wrong design" looks muted after a while? It's meaningful from the backstory perspective but

Club Campus: Fun design but is it worth it since its more expensive? plus the long lugs make the strap appear far apart from the case which does look quite annoying when worn on wrist.

Which one would you pick and why?

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
Hi savywist81 ! 🙂

And welcome to WatchFreeks ! 😀

This is a tough one actually, and since I really have no first hand
experience, it's difficult for me to give you any real insight. I mean
both watches are very nice, and have a somewhat similar personality.
So it depends on which one calls to you more in the end.

The Junghans maybe offers you a neat sleek look for a little more
bang for the buck so that's great. 😀However, the Club Campus is
crazy cool too ! 😎..So as you can see I have been of no help. 😊

The best thing to do as always, is to just go with your heart here.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Can I ask what your budget is? There are a lot of German watchmakers around today, some may be more interesting from a horological stand point (like Dornblüth).

Also, the Junghans Max Bill and Nomos Club Campus are both great watches, however their design is miles apart. So from that aspect, it's down to your personal preference.

I can say that in real life, Nomos watches look "underwhelming" to me personally and tend to look a lot smaller in real life than on a website.

Also, which Max Bill do you have in mind? There are several different versions (automatic, hand wound, chronograph etc)

Water Resistance: The water resistance on the Club Campus is 10bar, meaning you can shower with it.. the Max Bill is listed at 3bar, meaning it is likely only splash proof.

If I can also interject another German brand that merits consideration, it is Mühle Glashütte:

Both the 29er:

And their Panova:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi savywist81 ! 🙂

And welcome to WatchFreeks ! 😀

This is a tough one actually, and since I really have no first hand
experience, it's difficult for me to give you any real insight. I mean
both watches are very nice, and have a somewhat similar personality.
So it depends on which one calls to you more in the end.

The Junghans maybe offers you a neat sleek look for a little more
bang for the buck so that's great. 😀However, the Club Campus is
crazy cool too ! 😎..So as you can see I have been of no help. 😊

The best thing to do as always, is to just go with your heart here.
Appreciate your reply mate! Thanks for the welcome note too. I totally get your point. I myself is standing on the grey line on which one to ultimately go for. Sadly still couldn't make up my mind firmly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I ask what your budget is? There are a lot of German watchmakers around today, some may be more interesting from a horological stand point (like Dornblüth).

Also, the Junghans Max Bill and Nomos Club Campus are both great watches, however their design is miles apart. So from that aspect, it's down to your personal preference.

I can say that in real life, Nomos watches look "underwhelming" to me personally and tend to look a lot smaller in real life than on a website.

Also, which Max Bill do you have in mind? There are several different versions (automatic, hand wound, chronograph etc)

Water Resistance: The water resistance on the Club Campus is 10bar, meaning you can shower with it.. the Max Bill is listed at 3bar, meaning it is likely only splash proof.

If I can also interject another German brand that merits consideration, it is Mühle Glashütte:

Both the 29er:

And their Panova:

Hey there, thanks for sharing this. my budget is in the $1000 range and willing to fork out extra for the Nomos which Im considering.

I particularly like the Max Bil automatic classic with numerals silver dial. The iconic one as people calls it. Yeah the Nomos do have some better specs and durability as compared to the MB, but the MB do have a far more interesting history to it.

The Muhle Glashutte looks great with far better quality but the designs somehow didn't really goes well with my eyes. Not so sure on this, but in general cant really find interest in them so far. Anyway, thanks for this recommendation! Awesome to learn about this brand too, never heard of it before this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I totally missed out on my quest to either get a Junghans MB or a Nomos. Still hasn't made up my mind since the day I posted my question in this thread. Recently I saw an AD in Malaysia - Their website: https://mywow2.com/collections/junghans which is selling Junghans models with some free gifts. It says customer will get the free gifts stated in the picture with every purchase of a Junghans watch.

Seems like a good deal? What you guys think? Most likely I'm gonna get one since I'm leaning more towards MB after considerations. Picture above from the AD salesperson.

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
It does sound cool getting the extras like that savywist81.🙂

However, FBPB makes a great point above. 😉

But I know you have been eying these watches for some time now,
and if the gifts are attractive to you, then go for it. Without a doubt
you know a lot more than me about these watches, and what is a
good price, or deal. (y)

Really appreciate you thinking to ask us for advice though, and
updating us !

·
Long Time Member
146 Posts
Hey @savywist81, 1st of all... W E L C O M E ! !

Don't know if you have made a decision or what budget is (this is probably in line with the Nomos), but I have this one. Lusted over it for a long time and an opportunity came up and I grabbed it.

I think this look classy as either a dress up or dress down, either one! The dial and bezel hark back to an earlier version and they did a very good job of staying with the original concept.

This has to be the most legible watch in my collection... which is saying a lot! Those syringe hands make it so I can precisely set this to coincide with the seconds hand (If that sort of thing interests you!). The hands also curve at the tips to match the curved dial - very subtle! Just a very classic/classy watch and I love it!

I think the price is about right, especially with all of the swagger thrown in!

·
Watch Freek
83 Posts
If you are looking at Nomos and Juhngans you might want to check out Dekla watches they are also a German brand, a hidden gem that is not much talked about but outstanding quality, a very classical look that will always remain relevent through the years.
Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Watch accessory

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It does sound cool getting the extras like that savywist81.🙂

However, FBPB makes a great point above. 😉

But I know you have been eying these watches for some time now,
and if the gifts are attractive to you, then go for it. Without a doubt
you know a lot more than me about these watches, and what is a
good price, or deal. (y)

Really appreciate you thinking to ask us for advice though, and
updating us !
Yes for sure, really do appreciate you guys in joining this thread and discussing on it! (y) Been eye-ing on the MB and Nomos for months now. I'll definitely share what I get in the end here too :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey @savywist81, 1st of all... W E L C O M E ! !

Don't know if you have made a decision or what budget is (this is probably in line with the Nomos), but I have this one. Lusted over it for a long time and an opportunity came up and I grabbed it.

I think this look classy as either a dress up or dress down, either one! The dial and bezel hark back to an earlier version and they did a very good job of staying with the original concept.

This has to be the most legible watch in my collection... which is saying a lot! Those syringe hands make it so I can precisely set this to coincide with the seconds hand (If that sort of thing interests you!). The hands also curve at the tips to match the curved dial - very subtle! Just a very classic/classy watch and I love it!

I think the price is about right, especially with all of the swagger thrown in!
This is a beauty! I've handled the Pilot before and like you said, it's really legible in person. The curve hands with the curve dial I believe its Junghans secret sause in producing such viewing angles with depth :ROFLMAO: The Max Bill has the curved elements too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Post Update: Hey everyone, I've made my decision and eventually went with Max Bill. As promised by the seller https://mywow2.com/ , they shipped the watch to me with freebies included. I got a 2 horween straps (brown and black) and a leather watch roll. Seems like a good deal for me since the quality of the items are really good imo.

Nevertheless, I'm now a proud owner of the iconic Junghans Max Bill!

Watch Brown Analog watch Hand Arm

The Max Bill sits really nicely on my tiny wrist. Perfect dimension I'd say for me.

Product Sleeve Material property Electric blue Fashion accessory

Here are the freebies I gotten from the AD. 2 well made leather straps and a peeble leather (I think?) watch roll.

What you guys think about the Max Bill on my wrist? Would love to hear from you guys!

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
Well, honestly have to say it looks wonderful savywist81 ! 😀

The style alone takes your breath away actually, with your eye
not knowing what to enjoy first. 😵It's fantastic, not to mention
a lot of fun just to see in pictures ! Because a lot of times we
will see pictures of these off of a website, but not really get the
feel for how neat the watches really are. However, here we can
almost feel the impact that amazing dial, as well as crystal, and
case have. 😎

There's this great blending of something of something old, with
something that is hundreds of years in the future with these. 🛸
It's wild, yet elegant all at once really. A GIANT congrats on both
it, and those cool extras too !!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, honestly have to say it looks wonderful savywist81 ! 😀

The style alone takes your breath away actually, with your eye
not knowing what to enjoy first. 😵It's fantastic, not to mention
a lot of fun just to see in pictures ! Because a lot of times we
will see pictures of these off of a website, but not really get the
feel for how neat the watches really are. However, here we can
almost feel the impact that amazing dial, as well as crystal, and
case have. 😎

There's this great blending of something of something old, with
something that is hundreds of years in the future with these. 🛸
It's wild, yet elegant all at once really. A GIANT congrats on both
it, and those cool extras too !!!
Thanks for the comment AtomicTom! I fully agree with you on this, each time I look at it it gives off a 'soothing' viewing experience if you get what I mean :ROFLMAO: with the curve dial and glass. As most of my other watches being flat, this is really something new for me. I catch myself looking at it many times without actually having the intention to read time :ROFLMAO:

·
Watch Freek
282 Posts
Bit late to this thread -- apologies.

Firstly, congratulations @savywist81 on the Max Bill. It's a gorgeous piece, and looks very good indeed on your wrist.

As my lamp was rubbed by @forzaferrari (do you have the story of Aladdin in the US?) on the subject of Nomos, I'll give you my views.
Mine are Zürich models: 39.8mm diameter -- but do not "wear small" because of the relatively long lugs (48mm L2L) -- and the gap between the watch and strap is an acquired taste.
On the positive side, they feature a genuine in-house movement -- which is not the case with most other brands which have been mentioned here.
Overall, Nomos (providing you can get comfortable with the style) provide, in my experience, stylish, well specified and well made pieces for the money.

My wrist size is 185mm (or 7.3 inches).

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
Thanks for the comment AtomicTom! I fully agree with you on this, each time I look at it it gives off a 'soothing' viewing experience if you get what I mean :ROFLMAO: with the curve dial and glass. As most of my other watches being flat, this is really something new for me. I catch myself looking at it many times without actually having the intention to read time :ROFLMAO:

You are very welcome ! :)

It's true, this watch seems like one of those that we would look at,
but not always to tell the time. 😄(y) In fact, you don't even maybe
care what time it is. And really just want to dive into the extraordinary
details this beauty has.

What's amazing too, is the watch is seemingly supposed to be subtle,
as well as understated in theory. However, it is out of this world cool
actually ! :cool: :D

P.S. Yokel, wow, really wonderful Nomos marvels too !! o_Oo_O

1 - 19 of 19 Posts