Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Senior Freek
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, 9.5 years ago, I bought a Seiko Kinetic to wear to my oldest son's wedding, and that started my watch colllecting. While, I've bought watches for myself "just because", I did buy an Orient Bambino v4 with gray sunburst dial and rose indices for my 2nd son's wedding. Now with number 3 getting married in February, I'm looking at a watch to wear special for the wedding. The groom's color is Mystic Blue and I believe the bride is mauve.

Doing some internet searching last night, here are some that caught my eye. Ayy feedback on these particular watches would be great, I am open to other suggestions. These watches are roughly in the $350-550 USD price range. The main thing that stops me from absolutely pulling the trigger on this one is they use IIII instead of IV for the 4. $344 USD

Orient Star Automatic 40.4 mm case, display caseback, mineral crystal, 20 mm lug width

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock
Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Gadget

Mathey-Tissot Edmond Automatic 42 mm case, display caseback, sapphire crystal, lug width ? Would anyone know the lug width? Is Mathey-Tissot a good brand? I know it is a different brand than Tissot. It has a Peseux Caliber 225. $550 USD

Watch Analog watch Product Rectangle Clock
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Gadget

Glycine Combat Automatic 40 mm case, display caseback 22 mm lug width sapphire crystal $349 USD

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Watch accessory

Revue Thommen Heritage Automatic 39 mm case, closed back 18 mm lug width Sapphire crystal Is Revue Thommen a good brand? THis watch is about $423 USD

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

I appreciate your input.

·
Senior Freek
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed, of the selection given, I think it's the only Swiss Made one.
The Mathey-Tissot is also swiss made. Not that I'm influenced much by that. Most of my watches are either Japanese or Chinese. Oh, and the Glycine puts Swiss Made on their dial.

·
Senior Freek
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Revue Thommen is probably the classiest looking of the bunch now that I keep looking at them. The open heart style is interesting, but not sure I want it in a wedding watch.

·
Super Moderator
20,231 Posts
First off sir, a GIANT congratulations on your son’s wedding coming up !! 😀🎂

I know it will be an unforgettable day for everyone, and I love how you
are looking for a special watch like this. 😉😎 ..Actually each of these
watches would be great, or work perfectly. It’s really a matter of what
is your favorite among them. Also, would you like something different
brand, or company wise? Or is it the design that calls to you?

I know that you enjoy Orient, and the Orient Star Auto looks incredible
in that hypnotic blue. 😲 So that gets a thumbs up without a doubt, but
the Revue Thommen really is gorgeous as well, and ALSO gets a thumbs
up. So what I have perhaps done here is confuse you more Gary. 😄

Might it be possible to wear both? Or get both just to make sure you
have both of these beauties? 😊

·
Senior Freek
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm open to other suggestions. I do have a Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer with small second hand, silver/linen dial, that I wear on a blue alligator leather strap.

But a blue dial watch started calling my name for this time, and since I'm not planning to wear a tux for the wedding, I thought the touch of blue might be nice.

·
Senior Freek
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I showed these photos to my wife, and her favorite is the Mathey-Tissot. So far I’ve ruled out the Glycine

·
Long Time Member
469 Posts
Revue

maybe check out some Seiko Presages

A nice picture of it.
Watch Analog watch Light Azure Clock

There are different colors

I still like the Revue though.

Some nice looking Midos for sale. A pretty good price for Mido’s, none blue, but the other colors look good.

·
Senior Freek
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Revue

maybe check out some Seiko Presages

A nice picture of it.
View attachment 145064

There are different colors

I still like the Revue though.

Some nice looking Midos for sale. A pretty good price for Mido’s, none blue, but the other colors look good.
I did check out the Presage cocktail times, but decided I didn’t want a date complication on this watch. I had looked at the Midos on Ashford (that’s where I found the Revue Thommen) but none of them inspired me this time around.

Im leaning towards the Revue myself.

·
Senior Freek
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For about 3 times the price you can get this Citizen at around 2k yes the finishing on the Citizen is stunning but for the money the Revue Thoman is awesome.

View attachment 145065
Yeah, too rich for my wallet right now. They do have the RT on a bracelet for about +$30, but I’m liking the leather. Here’s the RT on a bracelet. On Ashford with a discount, I could pick this up for under $450

Watch Analog watch White Light Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
20,231 Posts
Really any ONE of the ones you already have, or are showing would
fit the bill Gary. 😎 On top of that, the ones everyone’s showing are
wonderful options. (y)(y) However, if your better half likes that cool
Mathey-Tissot, maybe that’s the way to go. 😉

But, just to add to the blue dial brigade for you sir, I tracked a few
more down for fun for you:

·
Senior Freek
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I saw some of those, but not all in my searching. For this watch, my vision is no date complications, and no Arabic numerals. Either Roman numerals, or just the indices.

·
Senior Freek
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is nice looking, but I feel like the bezel makes it look more like a sports/dive watch than a dress watch. It's the same feeling I get from the 3rd Tissot and one of the Certina's Atomic Tom shared. Thank you for sharing, all of these posts are helping me "crystallize" my thinking.

·
Super Moderator
20,231 Posts
I saw some of those, but not all in my searching. For this watch, my vision is no date complications, and no Arabic numerals. Either Roman numerals, or just the indices.
That is nice looking, but I feel like the bezel makes it look more like a sports/dive watch than a dress watch. It's the same feeling I get from the 3rd Tissot and one of the Certina's Atomic Tom shared. Thank you for sharing, all of these posts are helping me "crystallize" my thinking.

(y) Understood sir, at least you’ll have these nice blue dialed watches
here for you in the thread to always look at in the future. But yeah, the
ones which originally called to you are really tough to beat. 😉😎

Thank YOU just for thinking to ask for our input Gary !!!

Looking forward to seeing what you end up going with.

·
Senior Freek
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is fun to look at all of the watches, and it wasn't until I started seeing some of the options, that my thinking on it became clearer. Of course I'm gonna share with all of you, I knew I could count on all of you to help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts