Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering in terms of lifespan whether more expensive quartz watches are really worth it?

I kind of assumed that a decent watches, quartz or not could potentially last a lifetime but I understand a quartz movement has a certain lifespan regardless of servicing, is that correct?

I admit to not knowing what's involved in replacing the movement but I assume it's a case of replacing the inner workings of a watch.

So in terms of expecting a watch to last 10, 20, 30 years+ am I expecting too much of a quartz or is an automatic the way to go?

·
11,664 Posts
I have a couple of Quartz watches that are more than 25 years old. Im not sure how much longer they'll last, but they've had a good run. Good automatics can definitely last a lifetime with proper servicing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only problem I've ever had with a quartz watch was with impact; I had a cheap no name quartz that I wore on the regular and it happened to slip from my hand as I was putting it on and fell onto a solid wood floor. It stopped moving, I figured something must have gotten knocked loose inside, potentially the battery.

As far as the lifespan of an undropped watch, I would echo the previous sentiment; my parents have quartz watches from before I was born that are still ticking.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,771 Posts
I recently got an Tag 200m Professional as a birth day gift, the watch was BNIB but hadn't been used since it was purchased 19 years ago. All it needed was a fresh battery and it's up and running like a champ.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I have a Seiko 7546 movement in my modified 6309-7040 diver that dates to 1978 and runs like a champ. To my knowledge it has never been serviced, and only received fresh batteries. I'd say, assuming no major abuse, I'd expect a very long life in most decent Quartz movements.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
I have a 1970 Accutron Spaceview. It has been serviced once and I change the battery when it needs it. I'd say 45 years is a good run.

·
1,022 Posts
I have a Seiko 7546 movement in my modified 6309-7040 diver that dates to 1978 and runs like a champ. To my knowledge it has never been serviced, and only received fresh batteries. I'd say, assuming no major abuse, I'd assume a very long life in most decent Quartz movements.
Let's just think about that: in those 45 years assuming it has continuously run (which, eh, sure. not quite but good enough) would have activated the stepper motor to move the second hand just over 59 million times. Assuming the oscillator functions at the "standard" 32,768 Hz, that fork has vibrated 1.937 TRILLION times.

Crazy.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have a Seiko 7546 movement in my modified 6309-7040 diver that dates to 1978 and runs like a champ. To my knowledge it has never been serviced, and only received fresh batteries. I'd say, assuming no major abuse, I'd assume a very long life in most decent Quartz movements.

over here is another seiko 150m divers that has been running for quite some time. bought in 1986 as a high school graduation present. its still running strong. its been all over the world and abused like no watch should ever have been. 10 of those years was used frequently for diving.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've got a Timex Ironman that's from the very early 90's. Maybe 90 or 91.

So say, 25 years old. Keeps good time still and it's been cooked on the motorcycle, heated up so much it blanked out, been mountain biking more than I can count, has has battery changes by guys in laundry mats, by myself ... anyway, it's still going strong :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some great replies and some excellent information too.

I guess I've always assumed that if you buy a relatively expensive watch it would last forever if services.

It seems as though Quartz or mechanical it potentially will if cared for.

Maintenance on a mechanical watch consisting of replacing 'service parts' possibly entailing the entire movement anyway which you would on a Quartz if required.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a few Quartz watches from the seventies, and all work fine. The oldest being a Benrus that I found in a box of old stuff. I put in a new battery and it lives.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's impressive to think that it's 40+ years old and works fine.

Guess I have little to worry about with my more expensive quartz watches. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,931 Posts
What an awesome question Alex. ..Actually never even knew about how long each would last.
So thanks so much for the question, and also answers everyone ! :smileyface_hand_cla :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was worried it was a bit of a silly question but certain brought plenty of info forward!

This is a nice forum to be on I must admit.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
IMO it really doesn't matter the cost of the watch but the movement inside! I have had big brand name quartz watches that crapped out in 7 years or less and several old Timex watches dating back to the early 70s that are still going strong!

I have found that some expensive quartz watches share the same Swiss and Japanese movements as the much less expensive brands. I have also discovered a lot of so called in house quartz movements are actually regularly available movements that are just branded or re-branded for that specific watch company so they can charge more. Truthfully it is no better than a movement of the same caliber with the manufacturers name on it like Ronda or ETA.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Grand Seiko 9F movement quartz watches are recommended to get serviced once every 50 years... aside from battery replacement every 3 years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IMO it really doesn't matter the cost of the watch but the movement inside! I have had big brand name quartz watches that crapped out in 7 years or less and several old Timex watches dating back to the early 70s that are still going strong!

Oh I'm in no doubt of that. Like many premium brands be it cars, electronics, watches etc they all share components from cheaper brands.

I was wondering more whether an expensive Quartz is really worth the money as say you spend around £1k on a Quartz that won't last or another few hundred on an automatic that will last a lot longer.

It seems it's luck of the draw but also that Quartz movement aren't as disposable as if been led to be believe. Which I'm pleased about.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I remember reading a post here from a watchmaker that he could replace the movement in a Phillip Stein for $7. The watch had two and cost about $600. I guess you never know.

·
Long Time Member
946 Posts
I was worried it was a bit of a silly question but certain brought plenty of info forward!

This is a nice forum to be on I must admit.
Alex

Great question!
I've wondered about this from time to time ...er no pun intended!
My oldest is a Seiko chrono from the mid nineties that's never been serviced except for battery swaps & still runs great

Best ... Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
starbrown

I prefer quartz over mechanical, and have some fairly expensive quartz watches. One is a Rolex Oysterquartz purchased pre-owned from Tourneau. Early 1990's and running perfectly. One might wonder what happens to some of these mechanical watches with very complex movements- will they be fixable over time?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts