21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
http://www.squalewatches.com/

And. you can always contact these guys. They worked closely with Squale
https://www.pageandcooper.com/blog/squale-1521-legend-continues/

And it seems like they have a lot more history than Steinhart, which are made in the same region of Switzerland as Squale.
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/blood-in-the-water-water-in-its-blood-a-brief-history-of-squale
That's odd, since if you go to Squales Swiss site, where they actually manufacture their watches, you won't find an example of their 1545 models other then a two tone quartz model. Appears to me Gnomon is having Squale outsource the 1545 elsewhere?

http://www.squale.ch/squale/

·
Long Time Member
1,720 Posts
I wish the moonphase models were moonphase, not day/night, that would be cool. Despite everything else, and I think it is all valid, depending on your viewpoint, the prices on these are nice for 9015 watches.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Pics of Squale's 'Swiss' factory are notably absent on their website.

If I had a Swiss factory I'd want to show it off.

Check their facebook page

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
527 Posts
Check their facebook page
That's exactly my point. It's an assembly room. It even shows some of the cases arriving in a styrofoam box.

Apart from the Sub style watches they sell, I actually really like their original designs - they are classic looking pieces with a cool vintage vibe. But I don't like the smoke and mirrors, conveniently edited histories, and obfuscation of facts regarding origin of manufacture (not just Squale does this, of course) that abound in the industry.

Dear Squale, please show me your Swiss factory stamping out 1545 cases.

But anyway, this is about Tisell Sub copies. And I'm pretty certain where they come from.

·
Administrator
11,428 Posts
If you take a good look at the case on the Tisell it looks more akin to a Tudor Black Bay then a Sub, and the crown guards are not Sub like at all, take another hard look..
The case looks like the new maxi sub cases.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Neato.

I just ordered a TISELL 40mm Pilot MIYOTA 90S5 Automatic Type B.

Will report back when it arrives.
Like that watch, now if the crown was a tad smaller, I would be tempted

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
A Tissel "Kermit" (black dial, green bezel) is now on the way, will report back when it arrives.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was looking at their website, some images are broken in my browser. Kinda sketchy site. I do like the Marine Dive green dial green bezel though. Does it concern anyone else that there is no warranty that I can find on these watches? If anyone saw warranty info please share.

·
6,238 Posts
I like the 'flieger' models mostly because the value for money they seem to represent and the design as well. The following is my own opinion and therefore not necessarily the truth.

The country of origin of these watches, be it South Korea, The Netherlands, Germany, etc. does not really matter. Well is does matter with warranty issues, returns, etc. In that case and having the choice I would go for a European brand. Close by, regulated warranty and no customs rules to deal with.

Why doesn't it matter? Because most of the parts now a days are sourced from China. Just go to the site with the name from a well known tale: NAME OF SITE (and the Forty Thieves). Get it? :D So watch brand A has the same the case made by the same factory as watch brand B.

Sub case and bezel sets are abundant and I'm sure the rest is as well. And that's where my main objection to all those watches stems from. Using a Sub case, Sub dial, Mercedes hands and that distinctive bezel, just like what this brand does, has been done by countless other 'brands'. It's too easy. It's lazy.

If you like the watch buy it, if you like it because it looks like a Sub buy it, if you like it because it's affordable, buy it. If you like for all of the above by all means buy it.

I just will not and I will never buy a watch that looks like that. For the reasons stated above. Having said that, I do own a couple of homages and that seems to be in contradiction with my own statements. But the manufacturers (assemblers if you prefer that) went the extra mile. Less cookie cutter designs and very well made. And the watches used as example are virtually unknown models from makers that have faded into history, like Z.R.C. (ZR what?).

Rolex has come up with the ultimate 'form follows function' dive watch design (a bit borrowed from Blancpain perhaps) that has been an inspiration for decades. Water resistant (duh, it's a dive watch), high contrast dial, big hands and that dive time bezel that has become standard. That I like, but not on the hundreds of thousand of copies that flood the market today. Because that inspiration has turned into 'me too' copies without a shred of fantasy.

With the vintage design boom that seems to be going on right now, I understand that manufacturers with a brand that stems from that era want to ride the wave. Perhaps watch sales are declining and re-issuing older (vintage) models will bring in some money as long as it lasts. I like the Squale but only the 100 Atmos model from the Seventies.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's it. Fleiger!!! I bought the pilot watch with the subdial. Then I looked up the movement and found tons of watches that look like the one I ordered for under $90. I'm not upset about it, though. Opened me up to finding cases, hands and dials. So, I did some research and found out that the movement will fit into my Invicta 5755 case. And, since I pretty much hate the Invicta, I'm gonna mod it into a "nicer" mechanical watch. (Technically, the watch was free since I bought it in a lot of seven for $50 and sold one watch for $50).

But, I'm not a fan of homage watches. I try to avoid them as much as possible, save for the one I just ordered. But hey, if you have a grail that you just can't get, and the homage looks close enough to hold you over, then go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just discovered this Korean watch brand, Tissel. They seem to specialize in homage watches, not rip offs.

Their catalog shows aviator watches similar to Laco and Bauhaus models similar to Nomos. They also do Sub homages in several dial colors.

The Subs have cases 40mm wide and 12mm thick. The movement is the excellent Miyota 9015 and the crystal is sapphire, and best of all the bezel is ceramic with engraved markers. WR 200mm

These can be ordered without the cyclops.

Tisell Moon Phase

Checkout their models on this site, I’m planning on trying one out real soon, perhaps a Sub to replace my now DOA and discarded Invicta Pro Diver, to be my designated “Bond on the cheap” watch

The Sub is $195 delivered. Check it out.

Welcome to joyful online shopping!

P.S. WUS already has a 140 page thread on this brand, with hardly any negative remarks.
I saw the Type A and B Flieger watches they make. Virtually faithful to what the Luftwaffe was issued. Shame Laco sells black hour and minute hands instead of heat treated blue hands for its lower end watches.
Tisell delivers. Even the crown is diamond shaped just like the WW2 watches. Though it does not use the ETA 2824, it uses a Seagull ST25 which is said to be reliable and dependable and to be fairly accurate.

For its price point I need to add these to my collection. The Laco or Stowa I can get another time. But I do want to buy a Steinhart ETA UNITAS 6497 BIG WATCH.

BACK to Tisell: they won me over.
I may just get the Type A and B fliegers from this watch company.

Their timepieces are virtually time period accurate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I laugh at people who use and abuse the word fake or homage. In any given day you have american car companies who plagiarize or steal the looks of asian car companies.
We call it " benchmarking" as we are to slightly alter and improve the design. And you can see a Ford Focus borrowing elements of a Toyota look wise. The Kia or Hyundai sedan borrows elements of ancient Nercedes Benz.
The patents of watches last only so long the become public domain. Swatch and Rolex know this. Swatch's ETA 2824 is now public domain and anyone can make then. I am sure Seagull makes perfect cheap clones by now. Probably the same with the Valjoux 7750.
It's annoying when any company has a monopoly on any design for too long.
We love free enterprise because we all want cheaper, better, faster.

I love the idea that the Asians can make vastly cheaper but durable , reliable ,accurate version, of a ETA 2824 AND VALJOUX 7750.

Steinhart makes excellent homages of Rolex sunmariner even functioning at 1000ft.

Neymar has a diver watch that can be had for less than $600 using a Seiko NH36 and even ETA 2824 and rated at 1000m ie 3000ft..
Sure it looks huge and built like a tank. So what.

I can wait for any asian to recreate an homage or near duplicate of a Breitling Navitimer with a highly capable clone of a Valjoux 7750 aka Asian 7750 or A7750.
And be sold for well under $500.
Well Tisell, Parnis, Corgeut. Make one and I will buy the ersatz Navitimer.

Hamilton and many others make homage watches of the famous Flieger A, B and C (multi subdial chronograph) type watches.
I get annoyed having to pay more than a $1000 whose movements are no longer expensive and readily available in ebay and amazon. Now if the engine is inhouse then I can see the firm charging what it does because it costs quite a bit to design, develop, prototype and durability test time puece. Innovation and development costs.but if you follow japan incorporated strategy of incremental improvements you can pretty much keep costs low.

Why some mark are ridiculously expensive? Marketing and huge distributor overhead.
Steinhart sel6l directly hence no middle men and relatively low costs without sacrificing quality. China has regulations that prevents suppliers from gouging.

So Rolexes need not be expensive but they probably limit how many they make. Same with A&P , Patek Philippe , etc.. then its demand exceeding supply hence higher costs.
Then the ridiculous use of gold, silver or platinum on a watch.
I WANT A TOOL NOT A MUSEUM PIECE!

Hence I am grateful for the asians to get in on the act and sell well made, durable, extremely affordable accurate homage time pieces.
All they need to do implement excellent quality control and durability test their products and they can shut up the pro swiss crowd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I laugh at people who use and abuse the word fake or homage. In any given day you have American car companies who plagiarize or steal the looks of Asian car companies.
We call it " benchmarking" as we are to slightly alter and improve the design. And you can see a Ford Focus borrowing elements of a Toyota looks wise. The Kia or Hyundai sedan borrows elements of ancient Mercedes Benz.
The patents of watches last only so long that they become public domain. Swatch and Rolex know this. Swatch's ETA 2824 is now public domain and anyone can make them. I am sure Seagull makes perfect cheap clones by now. Probably the same with the Valjoux 7750.
It's annoying when any company has a monopoly on any design for too long.
We love free enterprise because we all want cheaper, better, faster.

I love the idea that the Asians can make vastly cheaper but durable , reliable , accurate versions, of an ETA 2824 AND VALJOUX 7750.

Steinhart makes excellent homages of Rolex Submariner even functioning at 1000ft.

Neymar has a diver watch that can be had for less than $600 using a Seiko NH36 and even ETA 2824 movement and rated at 1000m ie 3000ft..
Sure it looks huge and built like a tank. So what.

I can't wait for any Asian firm to recreate an homage or near duplicate of a Breitling Navitimer with a highly capable clone of a Valjoux 7750 aka Asian 7750 or A7750. And be sold for well under $500.
Well Tisell, Parnis, Corgeut. Make one and I will buy the ersatz Navitimer.

Hamilton and many others make homage watches of the famous Flieger A, B and C (multi subdial chronograph) type watches.

I get annoyed having to pay more than a $1000 whose movements are no longer expensive and readily available in ebay and amazon. Now if the engine is inhouse then I can see the firm charging what it does because it costs quite a bit to design, develop, prototype and durability test time pieces. Innovation and development costs their money . But if you follow japan incorporated strategy of incremental improvements you can pretty much keep costs low.

Why some marks are ridiculously expensive? Marketing and huge distributor overhead.
Steinhart sells directly to customers via internet hence no middle men and relatively low costs without sacrificing quality. China has regulations that prevents suppliers from gouging.

So Rolexes need not be expensive but they probably limit how many they make. Same with A&P , Patek Philippe , etc.. then its demand exceeding supply hence higher costs.
Then the ridiculous use of gold, silver or platinum on a watch.
I WANT TO BUY AND WEAR A TOOL NOT A MUSEUM PIECE!

Hence I am grateful for the asians to get in on the act and sell well made, durable, extremely affordable accurate homage time pieces.
All they need to do implement excellent quality control and durability test their products and then they can shut up the pro Swiss crowd.
Forgive the typos.
I meant can't wait where I said can wait

·
Administrator
11,428 Posts
Chinese companies are notorious for stealing IP. These modern submariner homages are a product of that, components made in the same factories that knock out fake Rolodexes and the toss a different dial on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just discovered this Korean watch brand, Tissel. They seem to specialize in homage watches, not rip offs.

Their catalog shows aviator watches similar to Laco and Bauhaus models similar to Nomos. They also do Sub homages in several dial colors.

The Subs have cases 40mm wide and 12mm thick. The movement is the excellent Miyota 9015 and the crystal is sapphire, and best of all the bezel is ceramic with engraved markers. WR 200mm

These can be ordered without the cyclops.

Tisell Moon Phase

Checkout their models on this site, I’m planning on trying one out real soon, perhaps a Sub to replace my now DOA and discarded Invicta Pro Diver, to be my designated “Bond on the cheap” watch

The Sub is $195 delivered. Check it out.

Welcome to joyful online shopping!

P.S. WUS already has a 140 page thread on this brand, with hardly any negative remarks.
Here is where I stand. If you have too much money, buy the Rolex, A&P and PP etc. If you do not, and want to buy an homge watch, or comfortable buying a fake one with near identical mechanicals ie no quartz, and plan on keeping it forever , then buy it. Buy what you can afford. I can not afford Valjoux powered watch, but I can buy a Seagull powered watch. I now I will get crucified for saying this heretical thing, I saw an fake Breitling Navitimer with an Asian 7750. I might buy that cuz I can not afford the real thing.... YET!

I too have been eye balling Tisell. Fine watch. Their flieger Luftwaffe Type A and type B makes the effort to try to be close to the original, save for the casing. Tisell casings are modern. Laco using black on the basic flieger watches not have them blued like the more expensive wares. So, yeah, buy a Tisell, i believe they even got the onion or diamond crown to a tee. I may buy a Steinhart. Why? The make their own watches and manage to buy ETA 2824s and Unitas movements at reasonable costs so they can sell their watches at very affordable prices.

But Tisell is my extreme second runner up.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts