Watch Freeks banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there are several different opinions. And I am also sure the different opinions are directly related to the level of interest/commitment of the speaker...AND the number & variety of watches he owns.

However - in general terms -

As I begin to build a modest collection of wristwear, will I be more likely to want to (be able to) remove links and/or change bands MYSELF...or is it more likely I'm going to take the watches to a professional (or send them in to the mother ship) for alterations?

I'm asking because I have been looking at the assortment of link tools and back-openers and pin removers etc., and I KNOW that there are going to be a couple of these various tools that are Bentley's...and the rest are gonna be Yugo's. And I don't wanna end up with a Yugo bcause I didn't ask first.

Likewise, I don't wanna spend $38 on a specialty tool that I will never use (or only use three times in 15 years) And again - this is not about the quality of the tool; I get that part. It's about the likelihood of using it.

Thanks in advance for all feedback!

**ADDENDUM**
I just went back to Amazon to have another look at the handful of tools I had saved to re-examine, and I remembered a qustion I had meant to put here:
Re: link removal tools: I would presume that the style with the threaded pin pusher would be superior to the style that uses a mallet(?) I do see the department store people bashing away on bands with that little mallet...and I have to wonder if maybe the smaller/quieter/more precise tool is the superior design(?) Just wondering.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can buy some nice starter kits that have some well made tools in them:
Thank you for that! It is the type of info I'm looking for. What is your opinion on the frequency of use? Given that I am a newbie -- and own just a "OTC" Eco-Drive & a Lum-Tec LZ10 -- is it likely that I will get the value out of a $30 link pin punch removal tool?

This is not about the quality of the tools; about this I have no doubt. But I have made the mistake before in buying specialty tools -- thinking they will be invaluable one day to perform some sort of most-people-have-to-pay-a-professional-to-do-this service -- only to discover that I void a warranty if I try to do such&such. Or that it is not as straightforward as I thought it would be. So I am just trying to get a feel for it before I buy something that I'll never use.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Here is what you need for sizing:
1) Good quality mini-screw driver set
2) Spring Bar Tool
3) Pin Pusher
4) Jewelers hammer
5) Band holding block
6) Needle nose pliers
7) Spring bars - assortment

For battery replacement:
1) JAXA type tool
2) Plastic tweezers
3) Case opener knife/tool

This kit has about everything you would need and a bit more.....
http://www.esslinger.com/watchtoolkit.aspx

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here is what you need for sizing:
1) Good quality mini-screw driver set
2) Spring Bar Tool
3) Pin Pusher
4) Jewelers hammer
5) Band holding block
6) Needle nose pliers
7) Spring bars - assortment

For battery replacement:
1) JAXA type tool
2) Plastic tweezers
3) Case opener knife/tool

This kit has about everything you would need and a bit more.....
http://www.esslinger.com/watchtoolkit.aspx
I'm looking to buy tools for opening watches and sizing bracelets. Are those good quality tools, or the less expensive stuff from China? Thanks!

AD

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
All the tools stated are good to have. A lighted magnifier of some sort is good to have as well. I started with a low budget set and gradually improved on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts