Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i used to think limited editions were some great big thing, but now , it really doesnt mean that much to me..

for example, the recent bolt otv...........10,000 of them .....thats not limited to me..... and with this watch, whats the point . all they did was take a watch in current production, put a different dial on it and put it on a rubber strap.

and lets be honest, this is invicta, so we will for sure see a bolt on rubber again, it will just be another dial material............

for me , at this point, limited edition, has to be a real special watch in a very limited number of production.....like one watch, and only 50 pieces of it made for me to consider it limited.

halios for instance, came out with the halios holotype back in the summer, all sold out, only 300 made total, and now they sell for more than they went for.......because they will never be made again.

but with invicta, and some other companies, its almost a joke what they call limited, because they make a limited edition, of a watch thats already in production, and they sitll make thousands of them. and limited or not, invictas actual value is nothing, with the way they reduce prices so much, it doesnt matter what invicta watch you have, when you go to sell, youll be lucky to get half of what you paid........

and why is this a problem? people say dont buy invictas for resale value......well then why buy at all, do you realize how much money you are spending.......think about it, if you buy a more higher end brand, like oris, omega, brietling, your going to be able to get about 80% of your money back that you paid, and most people that buy these watches, dont look to sell them in the next 5 months after they purchase.

but look how many people are always selling the invictas and renatos.....even renatos, wich are supposed to be limited dont hold there value.

so you buy one of these watches, for say $400, and 6 months later, you dont want it, want to get something else and you have to end up selling for $250 bucks..........you've now taken a loss of $150.........and if you do this 5 times a year, thats $750 you have lost out on............, wich could have been a new watch...and a good one at that.

so my point is this, if your going to buy invicta, renato or some of these other brands, dont buy into the hype of limited, and all, and think your getting a product that will be worth something......if your going to buy one of these watches, buy with the intent to keep them......because when you start selling them, your just losing money,money that could have been better spent on other watches.............

long rant over..........you can all disagree with me now..............

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

"limited" for some companies means an actual special edition watch that is valuable due to the small quantities made.

"limited" for other companies means a special sales pitch for a watch they want to sell at a higher price point. It can basically be the same as another existing model, but this is "limited".

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
imported post

I don't disagree with you. I hear what you are saying. The bolt is limited. Not to 10,000 but to 1500 for the blk and silver, 2000 for the blue and silver,3000 for the black and gold, 3500 for the blue and gold. That is what the numbers are from what they said on TV. Bit when you can get a limited edition of 500 like the SAN IIIs with the 7750 in it. That is what I like.:):):):)

·
Registered
241 Posts
imported post

Limited edition, Lowest ever price, 1 of 500, limited to 2000 pieces, Limited production, Exclusive engagement, Out of production... The list goes on and on. In the end it's always a psychological ploy to move more product. Whenever I hear any of those terms I start looking for the BS flag.

However, if the brand has a past reputation of excelence and exclusivity (Omega, Rolex, Tag Etc.) The limited production pieces can be very worthwhile.

My opinion, your mileage may vary.
DingBat.

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

You guys are right on tonite!! i hate when a company comes out with an LE of a certain number of pieces, You buy the watch and its got an auto movement and lets say you paid 1200 bucks for it and two months later they come out with the same watch but it's quartz and they are blowing them out at 249.00!! Now everywhere you go people are like did you get that on the 249.00 specail, you try to explain this this is the automatic model and it's worth alot more but it just goes right over their head!!:?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

i suppose there's something to be said about exclusivity. Having said that, I haven't purchased a watch because of this. The 2 LE watches that I own were bought simple because I loved the watch. I guess it's a nice added bonus, but in the grand scheme, it doesn't mean anything because like Don mentioned, I would never be able to recoup the full dollars that I spent for them should I need to sell them.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

LE watches mean nothing by the average watch maker goes. Example Renato seems to produce a lot of LE watches, but they are worth Nothing really. Now maybe someday, but I highly doubt it. Personally when I here Renato say LE, I laugh. Why some might ask well too me they produce LE watches, and then change the dial and produce another set of LE watches.

Maybe I am nuts but unless it is a high profile brand producing a LE watch it means nothing to me!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Don, you're right on the money with your rant! For Invicta and Renato, LE means absolutely nothing. Renato especially. I bought the Beast Diver that was supposedly limited in number. Some time later, Renato says "Hey look, we found more in the vault" and then the number of the total produced went up. That meant that the LE number on the back of my Beast was worthless! I got so pissed with Daniel Mink, I sold the Beast Diver and vowed never to do business with them again.

For me, If it's a Limited Edition, it's gonna be with a reputable high-end watch company!

·
Registered
530 Posts
imported post

I hear what everyone is saying. I am with Brian, I got rid of all my Renato's because of the BS that happened months ago with all the L/E. I just bought another Beast from Greg because I like the design. But that is all you will see me own from them. Invicta and Renato just keep killing the market with all these L/E. Just like the Reserve line!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
139 Posts
imported post

I agree Don. It's all sales hype. Many of us who've been around a while know that for some companies it's just to sell watches. Other well established companies mean it when they call it LE.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I agree with Don completely

its normally IMO a sales pitch thing just trying to move product -in most cases they dont need to do this

BUT

where it is not a sales pitch or TV BRAND - LE means to me - out of my price RANGE!!!

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

bodypeersur wrote:
I agree Don. It's all sales hype. Many of us who've been around a while know that for some companies it's just to sell watches. Other well established companies mean it when they call it LE.
thats exactly my point. renato and invicta and some other just use limited edition as a sales tactic, a marketing gimmick.

invicta is devaluing their own brand right now, and they have no one else to blame but themselves. i just saw a 1 hour sale on akula's for $260 or something........akulas, that when they came out they were never reduced below $600, and mostly sold at $700 for a long time, no under $300.........

i say by the watch if you like it, but unless its a high end company, dont fall prey to the limited edition thing, at least , dont let that be the selling point to you, because it means nothing from companies like invicta and renato........

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Everyone has some really good points here...This is one reason why I'm putting up for sale soon all of my Invicta and Renato watches. So i decided to just take my collection in the other direction and only purchase higher end watches. Second hand or new makes no difference to me just as long as the second hand is in pristine condition...

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

same thing with the BOLT

IF i had purchased a BOLT for $700 earlier in the year and now you're selling them (on rubber) for under 300 or the auto for 4xx - I would be pissed to no end!!

i would never spend more than $500 on an invicta -NO WAY /NO TIME SOON

BTW i returned the SAS - just couldnt justify the money

tattoo chef wrote:
bodypeersur wrote:
thats exactly my point. renato and invicta and some other just use limited edition as a sales tactic, a marketing gimmick.

invicta is devaluing their own brand right now, and they have no one else to blame but themselves. i just saw a 1 hour sale on akula's for $260 or something........akulas, that when they came out they were never reduced below $600, and mostly sold at $700 for a long time, no under $300.........

i say by the watch if you like it, but unless its a high end company, dont fall prey to the limited edition thing, at least , dont let that be the selling point to you, because it means nothing from companies like invicta and renato........

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

this is a valid point if you look at your collection as an investment etc

but i would say other than 2-4 pieces -all of my purchases have been under $200 and i really like the watches i have - i dont anticipate any value for them other than my wearing enjoyment

the 2-4 pieces were EXPENSIVE -in my terms - of which i would say half of them were not worth the money - so 2 were a waste of $ and 2 i appreciate

i collect to wear and enjoy my watches ONLY

Jackprime1 wrote:
Everyone has some really good points here...This is one reason why I'm putting up for sale soon all of my Invicta and Renato watches. So i decided to just take my collection in the other direction and only purchase higher end watches. Second hand or new makes no difference to me just as long as the second hand is in pristine condition...

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

As far as Invicta or Renato, "limited edition" no longer has value with me. I just go by the merits of the watch.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
same thing with the BOLT

IF i had purchased a BOLT for $700 earlier in the year and now you're selling them (on rubber) for under 300 or the auto for 4xx - I would be pissed to no end!!

tattoo chef wrote:
bodypeersur wrote:

I have had this happen many times, and I have never been pissed. I always look at it as now I can justify a few more variations of the same watch. I quess this is what makes me a bit different, I dont have a watch collection, I have watches in boxes that I wear. This isnt an investment, it is a luxury!!!

I would never even wear a Omega Seamaster, why well to me the watch looks like every other ProDiver style out there. Yet some find this a grail and it is important to them and thats great. This why there are different watch makers out there.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
WATCHURSELF wrote:
same thing with the BOLT

tattoo chef wrote:
bodypeersur wrote:

I have had this happen many times, and I have never been pissed. I always look at it as now I can justify a few more variations of the same watch. I quess this is what makes me a bit different, I dont have a watch collection, I have watches in boxes that I wear. This isnt an investment, it is a luxury!!!

I would never even wear a Omega Seamaster, why well to me the watch looks like every other ProDiver style out there. Yet some find this a grail and it is important to them and thats great. This why there are different watch makers out there.
I agree with what everyone is saying and I have learned a great deal since listening to some of the folks on this forum. I love my Invicta watches especially my SAS and my SAN III but I will no longer invest that kind of money in their product for just the reasons mentioned above. They just don't feel quite as special. If I am going to put out $500 - $600 on a watch I will be looking at brands like Hamilton. I can't see myself ever purchasing a watch that costs more than $600. Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I look forward to future NFW purchases as well because the product and the company meet my expectations that I am starting to acquire. Great discussion imo with this topic. Very nice and helpful Don.

This doesn't mean I will never buy another Invicta or whatever but just will be more selective and price aware. You know what could really light a fire in me about Invicta is if the SAS on the rubber does the same thing as the Bolt and sells for a crazy low price and the shop turns around and bottoms out the price on the SS versions as well.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

i want to say that there is nothing wrong with purchasing and invicta or one of their limited editions, but some people get sucked in by the hype.

ripitron hit the nail on the head, saying dont buy the watches as an investment. buy them to wear them.

with that being said though, the issue is , alot of people purchase these so called 'limited editions" and think that they are gettiing something really special and the helps them determine if it is worth the selling price to them.

let me assure you, the limited editions from such companies as invicta and renato should not be a selling point to you. dont buy the watch based on that. buy it because you love it, and feel its worth it for the design, movt, etc, but dont get caught up on the hype.

also realize that if you do purchase these watches, and you decide to sell them later to fund another purchase, that with the way they market these watches and brands and they way the prices drop so much, that you will not get anywheres near the price you originally paid for it.

so buy to keep , and because you like it. but dont buy these thinking that you have something rare, or something worth money......because with these brands, you do not......

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Don, you're right on this! I just decided to sell my Invictas because I'm going after a grail for me, a Breitling. I decided that I wanted to have 1 real nice watch and a few low-medium priced pieces. I'm finding out that the prices that I'll probably get for my Invictas isn't anywhere near what they are really worth! Tht's because both Invicta and the Shop are selling them at such ridiculously low prices. All they want to do is move product without regard to current owners and their watch values!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts