Watch Freeks banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started to like leather straps and purchased a few. How does one go about breaking them in? Not all, but a couple of them are somewhat stiff. I was just wondering ,other than wearing them how to soften them a little. I was told to wet them and wear them, but I'm not sure. Thanks ahead for any information.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
You could bend them in your hands if you want, like you would say break in a baseball glove.
Do it while watching tv or something.
What kind of straps did you get. Straps especially custom leather can get crazy expensive but most don't require a break in period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, I tend to wear mine for a couple days to break them in. If I don't want to wear the watch immediately, I set it in my case on another watch to help form it. I did this when I bought two straps from strap code for my primo. I wore one for a couple days, and left the second one on a different watch for probably a month before I decided to wear it on the primo. I worked them both by hand for about 5 minutes be for I wore either one just to soften them up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put them on watches I don't wear and put them on a piece of PVC pipe for a few days. that should work. They are from Watchgeco not to expensive. I will try working them with my hand.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just wear them. It's the best break in unless your wrist is a pvc pipe.
Nature of the beast. They'll ultimately feel better if you break them in on the wrist.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:biggrin1:I was wearing the stiffest one all day today and it feels better already. Can I use a little Mink Oil to add a little water resistance to it? It never seemed to hurt my work boots. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
The majority of my leather straps are Hirsch waterproof ones, and none of them was overly stiff to start with.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I wouldn't put anything on them, especially like a mink oil that will definitely change the color of the leather and may end up being something you really dislike.

That being said there is "good" stiff and "bad" stiff. Bad stiff is typically uncomfortable. If after wearing for a day or three a strap is uncomfortable, it will likely always be uncomfortable. However some straps have a lot of body and take a wearing or two to completely conform to your wrist. Kain Heritage comes to mind and I love Roy's straps. They are comfortable, durable, and thick.

Jeremy at Prime Straps makes some really thick straps too, but they are always butter soft.

Other makers and manufacturers vary but really most everything you have to use for a while to see if it suits you. Some makers will attempt to describe the leather they use and most are not very accurate as what is soft to them may not be soft to you.

I would not recommend doing anything to a strap to "break it in" other than wear it. The oils from your skin and the heat from your body should make the strap conform to the shape of your wrist. This is why I don't like straps that are overly soft or thin. They tend not to support larger or heavier watches very well and that is what I wear ;) .

PVC pipe does not have any oil from your skin OR heat from your body and will likely not do a very good job as serving as a surrogate arm :p .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldn't put anything on them, especially like a mink oil that will definitely change the color of the leather and may end up being something you really dislike.

That being said there is "good" stiff and "bad" stiff. Bad stiff is typically uncomfortable. If after wearing for a day or three a strap is uncomfortable, it will likely always be uncomfortable. However some straps have a lot of body and take a wearing or two to completely conform to your wrist. Kain Heritage comes to mind and I love Roy's straps. They are comfortable, durable, and thick.

Jeremy at Prime Straps makes some really thick straps too, but they are always butter soft.

Other makers and manufacturers vary but really most everything you have to use for a while to see if it suits you. Some makers will attempt to describe the leather they use and most are not very accurate as what is soft to them may not be soft to you.

I would not recommend doing anything to a strap to "break it in" other than wear it. The oils from your skin and the heat from your body should make the strap conform to the shape of your wrist. This is why I don't like straps that are overly soft or thin. They tend not to support larger or heavier watches very well and that is what I wear ;) .

PVC pipe does not have any oil from your skin OR heat from your body and will likely not do a very good job as serving as a surrogate arm :p .
I agree, if anything do what I do and if you have any close friends let them barrow a watch of yours with a new strap on it (I have a buddy that loves thick stiff straps) and let them break it in a bit, haha it makes it less painfull for me and more enjoyable for them and I'm usally cool about it and give them one of my new watches that I recently received the fact that he knows hes wore it more then me just makes him that much more of a good friend :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts