Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just read an article announcing the introduction of not one but two retro inspired radio-cassette recorders with a distinctive 1985 look. Yes, under the hood they are equipped with modern technology (MP3 player, USB ports and SD-card slot) but on the outside the best 1985 had to offer. IKEA has launched a very successful series of 1960s replicas of their furniture, over here all sold out and now collector’s items.

The watch world is brimming with reissues (much to my content) and even large breweries over here have started to market beers made according to ‘old’ recipes and packaged in ‘vintage’ bottles that, I must admit, look the part.

But is this just plain laziness, lack of fantasy, crafty or are they just catering to the wave of nostalgia that seems to be rolling across our societies? (Hipsters be aware :D).

What is your take on this? A blessing or just a scheme to rake in more money?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I feel it's likely a combination of blessing and of money-grabbing scheme. It stands to reason, since fashion and design are undeniably cyclical that it just makes good business sense for savvy companies to be aware of when and where and what to "bring back".

And then factor in an older demographic with money who'd like to scratch their nostalgic itch, and you've got good reason to reintroduce once-popular designs all over again to them too. I have no problem with it, really. I love the '60s IKEA replicas!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I feel like we're entering the Disco era with silk shirts and taco meat with these overly large mechanical devices on our wrists. The push back to that is to bring back restraint and refinement from the past. Well see where it goes

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I think it's a natural ebb and flow things. I'm into gaming too, and all those retro systems are pretty sweet. No doubt the various industries are money grabbing too. Eh, it's just part of consumerism I think.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's a natural ebb and flow things. I'm into gaming too, and all those retro systems are pretty sweet. No doubt the various industries are money grabbing too. Eh, it's just part of consumerism I think.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I currently have the NES Classic Mini (and its NesPi counterpart), the SNES Classic Mini (and its SuperPi counterpart), the C64 Mini, the Sega Megadrive Flashback (and its MegaPi counterpart) and the Atari Flashback 8 Gold DeLuxe. The Sony PlayStation Classic is on order (release date: 3 December) and I'm waiting for a good deal on a NEO-GEO Mini. The Nintendo 64 Classic Mini is pulled from release, we will have to wait.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I currently have the NES Classic Mini (and its NesPi counterpart), the SNES Classic Mini (and its SuperPi counterpart), the C64 Mini, the Sega Megadrive Flashback (and its MegaPi counterpart) and the Atari Flashback 8 Gold DeLuxe. The Sony PlayStation Classic is on order (release date: 3 December) and I'm waiting for a good deal on a NEO-GEO Mini. The Nintendo 64 Classic Mini is pulled from release, we will have to wait.
Nice assortment. I have nearly every game console I ever bought going back to 1980 or so. Mainly Atari, Nintendo and Sony. Never had a Sega system. They all get used by either myself or my daughters.

Except the unloved Nintendo GameCube.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice assortment. I have nearly every game console I ever bought going back to 1980 or so. Mainly Atari, Nintendo and Sony. Never had a Sega system. They all get used by either myself or my daughters.

Except the unloved Nintendo GameCube.
Forgot: I also have an Atari 2600 Jr.

Reactions: enricosonic

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Neo Geo isn't even cool enough to hang there. :(
There are rumours there will be a GameCube Classic Mini as well, somewhere in the future. Anyhoo, I have now revealed myself as some kind of retro-nerd. Nothing new of course :D

There's a redecoration of our living room in the planning and there will be a wall filled with book- and display cases with LED lighting. One of them will house these mini consoles and some books on retro gaming and computing. I just have to convince Mrs. Goodwatch that this is a good thing :D

There will be a PC Classic Mini as well, I've seen the prototype. This is, well, a bit far fetched but knowing myself it will probably land on the bottom shelf :D

Reactions: rinzler

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I just have to convince Mrs. Goodwatch that this is a good thing :D
Yes, well best of luck! Mrs. 'sonic is 12 years my junior and never really appreciated the early console systems, they usually are relegated to a cabinet behind a solid wooden door. I do get away with a few 1/18 scale model cars behind glass display shelves however.

I take what I can get.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, well best of luck! Mrs. 'sonic is 12 years my junior and never really appreciated the early console systems, they usually are relegated to a cabinet behind a solid wooden door. I do get away with a few 1/18 scale model cars behind glass display shelves however.

I take what I can get.

Well, it's different in my household. I run that ship! If I tell her that I want to take the garbage out there's no one going to stop me! :D I'm my own boss! :D :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh come on! The Dreamcast is amazing! It had some awesome titles and I believe it was the first console to feature internet connectivity. Don't quote me on that.

And the GameCube... some seriously fantastic games there too! You fellas are brutal!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Oh come on! The Dreamcast is amazing! It had some awesome titles and I believe it was the first console to feature internet connectivity. Don't quote me on that.

And the GameCube... some seriously fantastic games there too! You fellas are brutal!
The GameCube is a steaming pile! Oh alright... I played it ad nauseam and there’s a reason I’ve kept it. It just sort of marked the spiraling downfall in home console sales.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ever since I started watching 'The Last Gamer' YouTube channel I feel inadequate :D The only time in my life I was really into gaming was when I owned a Colecovision. After that I just lost interest and the stuff was very expensive back then.

Earlier this year I decided to get my teeth into an abandoned project, Retropie on a Raspberry Pi 3B. And after some searching on the 'Net I found a site where you can download complete images to put on an SD-card and off I went. Even our daughter rolls her eyes sometimes. This project sparked my interest into retro gaming and the rest is history. I'll stick with the minis but play the games on one of my Retropie machines. As we speak I'm gathering all the parts to assemble a bar top arcade machine. I have a 19" LCD monitor, the HDMI to VGA/analogue sound converter, the cables to that and a 20 WATT amplifier. A Raspberry Pi 3B+ for that as well.

I hardly ever mention this to my co-workers as hardly anyone understands or even knows what I'm talking about.

You are never too old to be a child.

Reactions: rinzler

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Ever since I started watching 'The Last Gamer' YouTube channel I feel inadequate :D The only time in my life I was really into gaming was when I owned a Colecovision. After that I just lost interest and the stuff was very expensive back then.

Earlier this year I decided to get my teeth into an abandoned project, Retropie on a Raspberry Pi 3B. And after some searching on the 'Net I found a site where you can download complete images to put on an SD-card and off I went. Even our daughter rolls her eyes sometimes. This project sparked my interest into retro gaming and the rest is history. I'll stick with the minis but play the games on one of my Retropie machines. As we speak I'm gathering all the parts to assemble a bar top arcade machine. I have a 19" LCD monitor, the HDMI to VGA/analogue sound converter, the cables to that and a 20 WATT amplifier. A Raspberry Pi 3B+ for that as well.

I hardly ever mention this to my co-workers as hardly anyone understands or even knows what I'm talking about.

You are never too old to be a child.
A friend of mine had a Colecovision. I can see how you’d lose interest!

My father bought a table top arcade machine recently, I think it has something like 600 classic 1980s games. His thinking was the kids and grandkids will all get sucked into playing it but... only I have. He offered to give it to me recently but he’s in San Francisco, otherwise it’d be in my basement.

I wouldn't know how to build one.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I feel it's likely a combination of blessing and of money-grabbing scheme. It stands to reason, since fashion and design are undeniably cyclical that it just makes good business sense for savvy companies to be aware of when and where and what to "bring back".

And then factor in an older demographic with money who'd like to scratch their nostalgic itch, and you've got good reason to reintroduce once-popular designs all over again to them too. I have no problem with it, really. I love the '60s IKEA replicas!
Absolutely. There's no other way is there? Other than round and round and I do agree that there are some lovely designs from that era

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is often stated that fashion, and virtually anything of human interest run on 30 year cycles. Look at Dodge cars for instance. The 70's came rushing back right after the turn of the new century with their new line of retro inspired styling ! The fashion industry drive peoples interests in multiple catagories. For many years these industries have told us how to dress or how to look or what to buy to be "noticed" or part of the "cutting edge" of anything. Look at how tech and electronics are sold ! Be young, be noticed and mostly, the in the middle of social media. If you care, of course. If you miss the wave, don't worry. It will be back for sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts