Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, July 29th, is the last day to take advantage of the free Windows 10 update. (I suppose)

Guess who's going to be updating. :laughing:

Actually, I'm quite torn. I have Windows 10 at work. Not particularly thrilled with it. (of course I started out with DOS, so)
But, on the other hand, I'm a cheap SOB.

I was hoping to get Alexa to do it for me, but she keeps telling me she doesn't understand the question.

Or, maybe I'll just get a new laptop. (but then I'll have to transfer all my files)

These dang satanic machines!:)

Reactions: GoodWatch

·
Registered
250 Posts
A year or two ago I had to go switch to 8 because Microsoft fiddled around with Windows 7 updates and now they are VERY VERY SLOW.

It takes almost a day to scan and install most of the Windows 8 updates on a fresh install so 8 was the way to go despite being a PoS compared to 7.

I switched to 10 for a few months now and I don't understand why people don't like it.

I like it. It's a newer version of 7. It's still not polished and needs plenty of updates (service pack) but it'll be better and better.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
We use 7 at work. Works fine. I have 10 on a Parallels VM on my iMac for when I need to use Windows. And Windows for Workgroups 3.12 just for fun. From the time Windows was just a program running on DOS.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Today, July 29th, is the last day to take advantage of the free Windows 10 update. (I suppose)

Guess who's going to be updating. :laughing:

Actually, I'm quite torn. I have Windows 10 at work. Not particularly thrilled with it. (of course I started out with DOS, so)
But, on the other hand, I'm a cheap SOB.

I was hoping to get Alexa to do it for me, but she keeps telling me she doesn't understand the question.

Or, maybe I'll just get a new laptop. (but then I'll have to transfer all my files)

These dang satanic machines!:)

We run Win 7 on all of our office computers in 7 offices. No one runs Win10 unless on a tablet or laptop that can convert to a tablet. Some of our clients did upgrade and came to regret it quickly. More of a phone or tablet OS then a real business version IMHO.

For the last two weeks I have had techs out trying to resolve problems people had with drivers, incompatible software....

I will stick with Win 7. I would rather have vista than Win10. Been doing this for 40 years now and I really wish they would stick with one platform and just keep the patches going. Hell I think even Win 3.1 is better than Win7

Reactions: toecutter

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a PITA, updating. But not as bad as it could have been ;-)

·
Registered
677 Posts
What I find interesting is that MicroSoft has such an abysmal record of burning it's users over the years that practically everyone has a horror story and for the most part are terrified of up dating and losing some/all of their data.

It's to the point that even a free upgrade won't motivate users. That has to prove how bad it is. For me the only safe install is a clean install to a new drive. It's the only way to be sure you won't be a victim of an update gone bad or a uselessly slow computer.

There are two types of people in the world,

Those who have lost data
and
Those who will.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
I resisted upgrading my desktop to the very end even though I had upgraded all the laptops at home (3) very early on. The Desktop upgrade took 22 hours. But it did upgrade and I only had the same few printer issues that I had with the laptops. So far so good.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just updated mine about 3 weeks ago with no problems. I have another computer that I updated months ago with no problems either but a 3rd one seems to have lost my pictures folder, only the most important one on the whole system. :( Luckily I practice strict back up procedutes so nothing was lost.

That said I still prefer Windows 7 but wanted continuity over all my computers and windows phone.

Still have 2 computers running Win 2000 and would still be running it on others if microsoft still supported it. There was an OS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts