Watch Freeks banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

After several days of research I ordered my Flieger from Laco last week and it finally got here today. Here is my quick overview:

It is the Laco Beobachtungsuhren (B-Uhr for short) which means observation watch. These were put in production for the German airforce in 1941. The dial on this model is the B type which came out in 1943 I believe. There are many companies that put out flieger replicas but being the history buff that I am I went with Laco because they are one of the original 5 companies that produced them in the '40's. Here are the specs on this piece: Stainless Steel 42 mm case
12mm height
Scratch resistant mineral crystal
Display back
Miyota 8215 Movement
Made in Germany
I went with the Miyota instead of the ETA 2824 for two reasons 1) Miyota was over $100 cheaper 2) The ETA movement had a date window at the 3 position which I didnt like. On to the pics!

The case size is 42mm but it wears much bigger like a 44 or 45 due to the case being mostly all dial. The original models were 55mm but thats a little too big. Laco sells this model but its like over 2 G's. Also, the original models had a sterile dial but I dont mind the company name.

The strap is a great aspect of this watch. It is a replica of the type they used in the '40s. Its a reddish brown leather (almost oxblood color) with brass rivets and the unique part is where the leather splits and lays over the buckle. Neat look I think.

More detail of the strap and the Display back showing the Miyota Movement.

Has a decent height to the case

And the lume shot. The hands are nice and bright - The dial markers are so-so.

All in all I really like this watch and the history behind it. I have a feeling I am going to wind up eventually with the Type A dial also which doesnt have the inner ring markings on the dial. If you are interested you can get these through the Laco site itself, however I got this watch through TimeQuest.us as the Laco site was sold out. I gave the owner Tony a call and the watch was shipped out the next day and arrived in perfect condition.

Well, thanks for taking the time to check out my new arrival. I always like to put pics of the new ones up here as no one else I know is into watches and WF gives me a chance to show off a little!:lol

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

CONGRATS! That is one sweet looking watch and THANKS for the history lesson. I will be getting one of these into the collection. BTW, do you happen to know what type of movement was in the original pieces? Just wondering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.