Watch Freeks banner

Knives

4K views 81 replies 8 participants last post by  AtomicTom 
#1 · (Edited)
Apparently firearms are too sensitive for this worldwide audience so let's try some knife stories.
Even those living under repressive regimes generally have access to knives.

So what do you have?
In your pocket, on your belt, in the kitchen, tucked away in an accessible place.

As for me: I have several working knives, ALL from Benchmade, + many older cheap things left laying behind wherever.
A couple of quality (unworn) hunting knives (RIP); held in reserve to return to my grandsons one day.
In my kitchen I have both Henckles and Wusthof. I forget the brand in my RV but it is a decent brand that Consumer Reports recommended - 40+ years ago.

If there's any interest I will take pics to share.

#3 ·
For food prep / cooking, I have a Güde Solingen Alpha 21cm (8 inch).

I can highly, highly recommend the brand. The quality is fantastic, it is perfectly balanced in the hand, is dangerously sharp and very maniable. Plus, they are made by hand in Solingen (unlike the robots used to make Zwilling / Henckles, Wüsthof etc).

That is not to say I do not have a few Zwilling Professional S and Five Star...

Having grown up in the countryside (and not the city), I learned you always need to have a knife on you. For EDC I have a couple choices, for dirty work (working outside, cutting down cardboard etc) I have an Ontario RAT 1 in D2. For cleaner / more everyday usage, I have a Spyderco PM2. I gave up on Victorinox (what I used to carry) as I researched steels that keep their edge longer.

#5 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention that this camp knife also has a kevlar type case - but I can't use it as a strop; this older model hard leather works in a pinch.
Lots of complaints directed towards Benchmades newer cases.

Sorry if this offends (especially those exquisite German steels) but Benchmades are both reasonably priced and made in the USA.
While I hate doing so I have (occasionally) used my Osbornes as a Phillips screwdriver; with Benchmades warranty I'm somewhat comfortable doing so.

#6 ·
Earlier today while prepping for supper I reached for my normal kitchen knife (6") - when I remembered your preference was 8".
So as to not be shown up in the inches war I dug deeper into the wood block and found this 8 incher.
(I surrender, I prefer the shorter blade).

Sorry but I don't do photos well.

Tool Utility knife Knife Blade Cutlery
Writing implement Wood Natural material Everyday carry Tints and shades

#7 ·
No need to apologize Wrascal. 🙂(y) This is a wonderful thread here,
and these knives are beyond cool !! 😎😎😉

You know, it's something how in a funny way, watches are unbelievably
similar to watches right?! ..All of the style, as well as cpmpanies, or brands
behind them all. As well as the history of everything. It is pretty spectacular
if you really stop, and think about it. ..Thanks a ton !!!

#9 ·
Those would feel real good as a back scratch'r. Are they available?

Once very long ago (mid/ late 70s?) I came down on military orders to report to Thailand, on a strictly civilian basis. No uniforms.
Unforeseen events prevented me from this assignment and to this day I remain greatly disappointed.

#10 · (Edited)
FYI: I've only ever killed one thing intentionally. As a kid I chunked a rock at a chipmunk - he didn't survive; I still carry that baggage.
Unintentionally I've had a few bird strikes (and a chicken who strutted in to my path) with my car; sorry about that.

Full disclosure: I've mashed many a bug, gnat, skeeter, spider, etc. I hope that escapes judgemental sentiments.
Both firearms and knives can (and should) be employed peacefully, yet can serve us in life and death situations.

Make love, not war; my sorrowful sentiments go to the Ukraine peoples (and believe it or not, also to the sacrificial Russian solders who've performed their mandated duties).

#15 ·
Ooohh.. love the G10 handles and the S90V steel!

How often do you have to sharpen it ?

Also, I decided against geting a Benchmade because I heard the locking mechanism gets easily blocked by pocket fluff and the like. Have you had that happen? It's one of the reasons why I went with the compression lock on the Spyderco PM2, that and the steel, mine is the Blurple version with CPM-S110V:

Tool Utility knife Hunting knife Everyday carry Knife

#18 · (Edited)
Silver knives were essential back when vampires freely roamed this world; since their eradication silver has gone out of style. Left handed ones remain valuable.

I rotate my Benchmade pocket knives - one in S30 / 2 in S90; I generally use them for about 6 months before sending them back to Benchmade for a free sharpening session. Turn around time is about 2 weeks. I've never heard of pocket fluff interfering with lock-up let alone experienced it. However I'm not the type that flicks it open (or closed) - I'm deliberate in those operations.

My feelings are I wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight - and I prefer Darth Vador Black over colors (Burple).
Full disclosure: I have admired some dark forest green handles in the past. Manly colors <Grin>.

Tool Knife Blade Hand tool Wire stripper
Tool Knife Blade Hunting knife Rectangle

#22 ·
"My feelings are I wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight"

That would hold true with don't bring a gun to a tank battle... :p
In the UK, where guns AND pocket knives that are longer than 3 inches and/or can lock, are not available to the general public / are illegal to even posses in your home. So, many violent crimes are done using kitchen knives. So you can imagine an 8cm pocket knife being of little use to defend oneself against an opponent wielding a 21cm kitchen knife..

#23 ·
I beg to differ; have you not viewed our American West movies?

The little Mexican guy would throw an invisible knife 5M (15+ feet) directly/ accurately into the heart of his enemy ... before he could clear leather. Then he'd down his 4th Tequila and ask for the worm to be in his refill.

#27 ·
Nice Gerber (does she have a sister)?
What work does she assist you with?
Any pictures of her sister?
Well thank you sir ! 😉

Unfortunately she doesn’t have a sister yet, but who knows
what the future holds. (y)😀 It would neat to have a sibling
for her to play with. ..Or help open a package, or two. And
that’s really the only thing I have used this one for if I am
being honest.

I’m so glad you enjoyed.

#29 ·
That’s fantastic that they actually do that like that Wrascal. 😎
Plus they do it for free?! 😲😀 You can’t ask for more when
it comes to customer service right?! ..You have the top notch
knives, but then service also. It’s pretty great just to hear sir,
or really great actually !

#30 · (Edited)
I speculate that this service improves their sales; I know it was a consideration to me. Plus I needed help sharpening their super hard steels.

I very recently lost a watch bid (I led with the highest bid for about a week, then lost it in the last 30 Min). So what should I do with this cash?

Bid on another un-needed Benchmade Knife? Yup, I did. A lowball bid, but maybe.

#31 · (Edited)
I found another one a few min. ago, hidden away in my shave kit (prepping for an upcoming week long camping trip).
It was obviously well loved (in the long ago past) as it was full of pocket lint.

A three blade Buck knife; much shinier than these pics show.
Closed length is 3.25 inch, both blades open measure 7 inch.
Unknown steel but its tight, no wobble in the hinges; the main blade shows much use.

Helmet Knife Natural material Wood Utility knife
Wood Natural material Composite material Automotive exterior Blade

#32 ·
Man, you have some wonderful knives Wrascal !😵😯

You seem to be finding them all over the place too as if they are
unfound Christmas gifts or something. 🎄 It's fantastic ! With this
one looking as if it's got a vintage feel about it honestly. It really is
beautiful sir.

Oh, and so is the fact that Benchmade services their knives like
that too by the way. 🥇I wonder how many knife brands/companies
actually do that. Very very cool !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.