Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently firearms are too sensitive for this worldwide audience so let's try some knife stories.
Even those living under repressive regimes generally have access to knives.

So what do you have?
In your pocket, on your belt, in the kitchen, tucked away in an accessible place.

As for me: I have several working knives, ALL from Benchmade, + many older cheap things left laying behind wherever.
A couple of quality (unworn) hunting knives (RIP); held in reserve to return to my grandsons one day.
In my kitchen I have both Henckles and Wusthof. I forget the brand in my RV but it is a decent brand that Consumer Reports recommended - 40+ years ago.

If there's any interest I will take pics to share.

·
Super Moderator
1,716 Posts
For food prep / cooking, I have a Güde Solingen Alpha 21cm (8 inch).

I can highly, highly recommend the brand. The quality is fantastic, it is perfectly balanced in the hand, is dangerously sharp and very maniable. Plus, they are made by hand in Solingen (unlike the robots used to make Zwilling / Henckles, Wüsthof etc).

That is not to say I do not have a few Zwilling Professional S and Five Star...

Having grown up in the countryside (and not the city), I learned you always need to have a knife on you. For EDC I have a couple choices, for dirty work (working outside, cutting down cardboard etc) I have an Ontario RAT 1 in D2. For cleaner / more everyday usage, I have a Spyderco PM2. I gave up on Victorinox (what I used to carry) as I researched steels that keep their edge longer.

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So we have some interest here:

This is my Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter w/ S30 steel; it stays in my motorhome / primarily fireside use.
I'm still looking for a something better (carabiner, lanyard) to slave the magnesium firestarter to the carry holster.

Wood Hunting knife Knife Gas Blade
Brown Handgun holster Gesture Sleeve Wood

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention that this camp knife also has a kevlar type case - but I can't use it as a strop; this older model hard leather works in a pinch.
Lots of complaints directed towards Benchmades newer cases.

Sorry if this offends (especially those exquisite German steels) but Benchmades are both reasonably priced and made in the USA.
While I hate doing so I have (occasionally) used my Osbornes as a Phillips screwdriver; with Benchmades warranty I'm somewhat comfortable doing so.

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earlier today while prepping for supper I reached for my normal kitchen knife (6") - when I remembered your preference was 8".
So as to not be shown up in the inches war I dug deeper into the wood block and found this 8 incher.
(I surrender, I prefer the shorter blade).

Sorry but I don't do photos well.

Tool Utility knife Knife Blade Cutlery
Writing implement Wood Natural material Everyday carry Tints and shades

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
No need to apologize Wrascal. 🙂(y) This is a wonderful thread here,
and these knives are beyond cool !! 😎😎😉

You know, it's something how in a funny way, watches are unbelievably
similar to watches right?! ..All of the style, as well as cpmpanies, or brands
behind them all. As well as the history of everything. It is pretty spectacular
if you really stop, and think about it. ..Thanks a ton !!!

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those would feel real good as a back scratch'r. Are they available?

Once very long ago (mid/ late 70s?) I came down on military orders to report to Thailand, on a strictly civilian basis. No uniforms.
Unforeseen events prevented me from this assignment and to this day I remain greatly disappointed.

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
FYI: I've only ever killed one thing intentionally. As a kid I chunked a rock at a chipmunk - he didn't survive; I still carry that baggage.
Unintentionally I've had a few bird strikes (and a chicken who strutted in to my path) with my car; sorry about that.

Full disclosure: I've mashed many a bug, gnat, skeeter, spider, etc. I hope that escapes judgemental sentiments.
Both firearms and knives can (and should) be employed peacefully, yet can serve us in life and death situations.

Make love, not war; my sorrowful sentiments go to the Ukraine peoples (and believe it or not, also to the sacrificial Russian solders who've performed their mandated duties).

·
Super Moderator
1,716 Posts
This is my favorite work knife, it's just sooo sexy.
A custom Benchmade mini Crooked River, G10 handles, S90 steel; never needs winding.
Slayed many an Amazon box.

View attachment 140878 View attachment 140879
Ooohh.. love the G10 handles and the S90V steel!

How often do you have to sharpen it ?

Also, I decided against geting a Benchmade because I heard the locking mechanism gets easily blocked by pocket fluff and the like. Have you had that happen? It's one of the reasons why I went with the compression lock on the Spyderco PM2, that and the steel, mine is the Blurple version with CPM-S110V:

Tool Utility knife Hunting knife Everyday carry Knife

·
Aspiring Expert
2,406 Posts
Looks nice, is it actually silver? Do you have to polish it often ?
Yes, it is, but if you use it often enough and clean it with a scotch bright pad it doesn't have a chance to tarnish... :p

All fun aside, back when, I did have a brief go in a knife fighting class, it was a real eye-opener that really shattered the ridiculousness of movie knife fights... ;)

Reactions: FBPB

·
Super Moderator
1,716 Posts
Yes, it is, but if you use it often enough and clean it with a scotch bright pad it doesn't have a chance to tarnish... :p

All fun aside, back when, I did have a brief go in a knife fighting class, it was a real eye-opener that really shattered the ridiculousness of movie knife fights... ;)
I remember my mother polishing silver knives, spoons and forks when I was just a micro-dot. She loved it when they could afford a new Stainless set (it was very expensive for some reason and cheap Ikea / MIC didn't exist yet). Into the dishwasher it went, no worries, no polishing etc..

For the knife class, wow, I would imagine. I don't have a knife to fight, only to work, but I would imagine if you were forced to, you would be glad to have done the class.

It's like a lot of things in movies, machine guns with unlimited ammo, oversized explosions, people being blown back after being shot, "instant death" from being stabbed in the gut with a knife, a 110lb person able to beat / throw around a 250lb person in hand to hand combat, etc. It's all for show.

·
Watch Freek
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Silver knives were essential back when vampires freely roamed this world; since their eradication silver has gone out of style. Left handed ones remain valuable.

I rotate my Benchmade pocket knives - one in S30 / 2 in S90; I generally use them for about 6 months before sending them back to Benchmade for a free sharpening session. Turn around time is about 2 weeks. I've never heard of pocket fluff interfering with lock-up let alone experienced it. However I'm not the type that flicks it open (or closed) - I'm deliberate in those operations.

My feelings are I wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight - and I prefer Darth Vador Black over colors (Burple).
Full disclosure: I have admired some dark forest green handles in the past. Manly colors <Grin>.

Tool Knife Blade Hand tool Wire stripper
Tool Knife Blade Hunting knife Rectangle

1 - 20 of 75 Posts