25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Blog activated 12/9/12

·
Registered
142 Posts
imported post

A thank you to TVDinner for setting this up for me.

I'm sitting in my hotel room in Shanghai China. Staying at the Renaissance Yu Garden hotel. Nice accommodations.

Planning on doing some shopping in Shanghai old town tomorrow.

I'll post pics of the watches I picked up from my last trip here when I get home. I'll be traveling back to Seattle Tuesday Dec. 11.

I've only picked up a couple of Christmas gifts so far. A watch winder for my wife'sautomatic and an Invicta watch she likely doesn't want. I'll need a backup gift! Although she did ask me to pick up an authenic game of Mahjong using the tiles. I've seen those in the market for about 500 RMB whcih can be had for less with some bartering.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
imported post

Back from China.

I must have picked up a bug on the plane so have been recovering the last 18 hours but starting to feel better.

Back to work tomorrow. Did publish trip report (audit reuslts) today.

Keenan came by to say hi. He needed a bit of $$$ asthe Kenworth Job did not pan out. Althoughhe has his old jobback starting tomorrow. We'll get together for the Seahawk gamethis Sunday and try to take in the new James Bond movie. I'll have to wear my Omega Seamaster for that one! Also need to celebrate Keenan's 22nd birthday since I missed while in China (Dec. 7). He mentioned taking him to the Melting Pot restaurant in Tacoma. Fondu is great so we'll have to set that up.

My wife and I opened some ofour gifts early. Shame on us but it is only us after all...

She did like the invicta dive watch and the watch winder. I'll take pics and post tomorrow. She also enjoyed the Mahjong board game a brought back from China. The thing weights a ton with all those tiles. I ended up paying 600 RMB for a larger board with the original price at 1000 RMB.

BTW - how do you embed multiple photos in a single post? Perhaps I have to have them archived on the web? I see the embed icon but it forces a web location which I don't currently use, might be time...

I'll be picking up a new Surface Table with Windows 8 tomorrow. Gift for the home :c

Good to be home!

Oh, interesting article about the Apple map application on the new iPhone 5. It's use canapparentlylead to your death!

:madd

http://www.businessinsider.com/motorists-stranded-without-food-and-water-after-using-apple-maps-2012-12?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=linkedin

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/09/australian-police-warn-against-apple-maps-citing-potentially-life-threatening-misdirection/

And another thing...it's 12/12/12. combination won't happen again until 2100-something....Apparently many folks are targeting today for their wedding, easy to remember.

All 4 now.

Pic. below is of the Shanghai Oldtown Market just outside the hotel.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
imported post

Picked up my Windows phone 8 yesterday, an HTC 8X. Very nice phone. Also has wireless charging.

Playing with the new tablet from MSFT, the Surface RT. I like it. Cool soft-touch keyboard that also acts as protection for the gorilla glass touch screen.

:c

more later....

·
Registered
142 Posts
imported post

One photo from thecollection. My Sea-Gull Auto.

Consolidated my watch collection in that I removed some from the original packaging and placed in collectors boxes, although I did keep all the orig. packaging in the event I ever try to sell any of the watches.

pics of my Sea-Gull auto which I purchased in Suzhou China and one (not pictures) in Hangzhou China. I like to find different watches from diff. countries with their own movements. Swiss and Japanese are great but I like to see what other countries bring to the table as far as their movements. I need to add Russian, German, Frenchand I'm sure many others.

I have Swiss, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, and Korean...

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
imported post

Been off-line for a while. Busy with the Holidays. Great Chrsitmas. We had family join us on Christmas Day. A rather untraditional dinner...Mac & Cheese and Irish Shepards Pie. It was very good. I think untraditional works!

No watches under the Christmas tree this year but that's okay. I did buy a watch as a gift but did not end up giving it; just wasn't sure if it was a good fit for the recipient. I intend to return it, although tempted to add it to the collect. It's a Victorinox Infantry with a leather strap, very nice.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2013 to all !!!:c

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

keefejm wrote:
Picked up my Windows phone 8 yesterday, an HTC 8X. Very nice phone. Also has wireless charging.

Playing with the new table from MSFT, the Surface RT. I like it. Cool soft-touch keyboard that also acts as protection for the gorilla glass touch screen.

:c

more later....
How are you liking the windows 8 phone? Is it that much better with the new operating system?

What phone did you have previously?

The wireless charging sounds very cool.

·
Registered
142 Posts
imported post

Hi TV,

I had the HTC Trophy previously (with Verizon). Also a Windows phone, Windows 7.5.

I like the windows phone interface - the live tiles. I like being able to look at the start menu and see realtime updates for stocks, weather, facebook, emails, text messages, etc.

I'm still adjusting to Windows 8 on myHTC 8X. I like the 8X. It has a larger HD screen, front and rear facing cameras, and better speakers/sound.

Also with Windows Phone 8 you have the ability to add more live tiles to the start menu, almost 2X the number versus Win phone 7.5.

If you have younger kids that like to borrow you phone the Win 8 phone has parental control options so your kids can't change any of your settings or accidentally call Kazakhstan :)

The other think I like is I use Windows at work and on my home PC's so having one OS accross all platforms is awesome. I'm still adjusting to Windows 8 (trying to find things) but I like it. To take full advantage a touch screen is needed.

The wireless charge is made by Nokia but works with any smart phone. The charging plate is still wired but your phone no longer has to be so the idea would be to find a location where you can just leave the charger plugged in like other applicances.

Full disclosure - I have a bias for Microsoft.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
imported post

WOW, Last day of 2012.

We survived the Mayan apocalypse. Even more ghastly we survived another U.S. Presidential election.

2012 was a tough but rewarding year. I spent over 110-days in China this past year supporting NPI. It takes a toll.

In 2013 I’m going to focus on optimizing my health.

I think work-life balance is a myth…kind of like multi-tasking is a myth.

ALT-TAB

My wife and I have no big plans for NYE. We may do some shopping for kitchen items and/or some furniture. Then make Sheppard’s Pie and start our 2-person party. Likely in bed by 9:00pm after we watch the New Yorkers raise the Big Apple.

2013 is going to be a great year.

2013 is the year of the Snake in China. Ironic if you happen to be Christian.

LOVE LIFE!!

HAPPY 2013!!!

:b

Hong Kong New Years Eve 2013

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
imported post

Holy Smokes, first entry of 2013. Where does the time go?

Happy St. Patricks Day!!

In Suzhou China - they don'tcelebrateSt. Patrick's Day in China. That's fair, the USA doesn't celebrate Chinese New Year.

:)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts