Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If I could just stop eating all together I would be able to afford ALL of the watches on my "wish list"

This morning I went to Super Walmart to get food for my wife, son, and I. I shop very carefully and always look for the best deals, prices, coupons, etc. I could care less about brand name because pinching pennies is important, especially these days.

But with my watch obsession it is becoming harder and harder for me to spend money on anything, without thinking to myself - "damn this same money could almost get me the watch I have been looking at". Who else does that?

So this morning when the person at the register said $94.85 (which was lower then some normal trips to the grocery store), all I could think of was how I would rather spend that almost $100 towards the chase durer I have been looking at, or the Orient diver watch I really want, etc etc etc.

Amazing how your thinking changes when you really love watches.

Oh yea, I did actually get the food for my family and the watch......will sadly have to wait for now.....

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

This is the one thing I refuse too do, go to the grocery store. My wife has done this for us for the last 12yrs thank goodness, because my last memory of this was so bad I damn near went to jail.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

Priorities, priorities my man. I would say that's a pretty reasonable trip the Walmart. I spent just shy of that taking my wife and kid to a a late lunch yesterday. A watch didn't enter my thinking at all as a matter of fact. I'm at the point to where I need to curb my enthusiasm with watches. I have a grail in mind and if I truly expect to get it, I'm going to have to make sacrifices.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
This is the one thing I refuse too do, go to the grocery store. My wife has done this for us for the last 12yrs thank goodness, because my last memory of this was so bad I damn near went to jail.
lol that is funny Ron.

I even have problems now spending money on clothing I know I need, because I am always calculating how those funds could be better spend on watches I want. pretty funny (and maybe a little sad)

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
lol that is funny Ron.

I even have problems now spending money on clothing I know I need, because I am always calculating how those funds could be better spend on watches I want. pretty funny (and maybe a little sad)
Yeah you need help brother LOL!!!

There is nothing worse then being out of your element and asking a grocery store person with 4 teeth, and greasy hair where this is and the dumb ******* sayand I quote " Do I look like customer service too you"! I damn near slapped the final four teeth out of his mouth!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
Priorities, priorities my man. I would say that's a pretty reasonable trip the Walmart. I spent just shy of that taking my wife and kid to a a late lunch yesterday. A watch didn't enter my thinking at all as a matter of fact. I'm at the point to where I need to curb my enthusiasm with watches. I have a grail in mind and if I truly expect to get it, I'm going to have to make sacrifices.
sacrifices really suck, lol
but I totally understand. If I am going to really concentrate on obtaining a few quality pieces instead of a big mass of unworn watches, I will have to do the same.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

the other day i needed to get some car repairs on both of my old trucks - ended up being $600 on one and $400 on the other

1st thing i thought was -DAMN there goes 5-6 Invicta's!! LOL

yeah i think the obcession is getting out of hand!! LOL

nowadays - i'm looking at getting away from the I brand

looking @ maybe a Citizen Eco drive Orca or an Orient PD

or maybe the Deep Blue 1000m PD

still $1000 is a good 3-4 watches

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
still $1000 is a good 3-4 watches
exactly !!! that is the hard thing to consider.

and if you look at it more it is 7 good Zodiacs or many other brands with prices around $100 per watch.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

UKWolfeman wrote:
Peanut Butter and Jelly makes a fine breakfast, lunch and dinner.
very true! maybe I can just eat 50 cent Rama noodles for every meal and in a few weeks have a Breitling!!!! woo hooo. lol

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

No kidding....thinking in terms of watches, got nailed by a shopping cart at Costco yesterday, $400 to repair the paint!!!!:x:x:x that's one nice watch I'm not getting!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Seattle wrote:
No kidding....thinking in terms of watches, got nailed by a shopping cart at Costco yesterday, $400 to repair the paint!!!!:x:x:x that's one nice watch I'm not getting!!
now that sucks big time. Every time I go to Sams Club or Costco I am worried about the crazy parking lot and huge carts. Sorry to hear that happened CJ.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Thanks James.....you try and try to keep nice things, oh well. I guess even parking away from everybody doesn't always work.
Really thinking about getting a straight 6, 66 Ford truck, 3 on the tree in gray primer to take when shopping!

CJ

TVDinner wrote:
Seattle wrote:
now that sucks big time. Every time I go to Sams Club or Costco I am worried about the crazy parking lot and huge carts. Sorry to hear that happened CJ.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I got 2 OLD trucks (91 Nissan Pathfinder & 94 Nissan Pathfinder -as long as the engine & tranny work -thats fine for me

got wife 2 kids & a mortgage so watches are last on list

Son is allergic to Peanuts so no peanut butter here!!!

and wait James -$94 is nothing -double that at least up here LOL

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

I did the same thing yesterday!!! Spent about $95 at Walmart, then went across the street to Sam's Club and dropped another $85. While at the Sam's Club....I saw they had the GMT QRD's on Sale for $99...and I didn't get one...my wife was very happy!!!! Then...late last night...before Jim and Daniel M. got finished with the Renato show...I broke down and ordered the Renato OTV Dual Time watch in the Two Tone. Jeeze...I am such a sucker for Two Tone watches in Blue and Gold...I cannot resist them!!! Oh well...I finished paying off two of my 4 watches that were on VP's at the Shop...so whay not add one back!!!!! LOL...my wife finds out...and I am in the dog house for sure!!!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Certianly not hard to do James.

I went in the other day and hadn't been able to buy groceries for almost a month, and spent $189.00 CRAZY!

·
Registered
119 Posts
imported post

know how U feel tvdinner, but...

I have to cut way back on watches to maintain

house and animals...oh, yes,,,and self.

:twitch:

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

James, If you spent less then $100 on groceries your doing much better than I. My wife spends twice that and some in one week on groceries. She is killing my watch fetish.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:
So sorry to hear, but I expect this kind of action from selfish careless people and their kids in the parking lots, so I park out as far away as I can even if its raining.

I would rather get wet than have to come up with or just live with damages due to@#$%^ in the parking lots.

I had an 2005 Chevy Cobalt LS in all Black, even though I parked out away from all the other cars, some@#$%^ actually keyed my hood out of sheer jealousy. I buffed out the clear-coat, I got lucky, but it is unreal what people will do accidentally, carelessly, and even maliciously to other's cars in the parking lots!

·
Registered
185 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
If I could just stop eating all together I would be able to afford ALL of the watches on my "wish list"

This morning I went to Super Walmart to get food for my wife, son, and I. I shop very carefully and always look for the best deals, prices, coupons, etc. I could care less about brand name because pinching pennies is important, especially these days.

But with my watch obsession it is becoming harder and harder for me to spend money on anything, without thinking to myself - "damn this same money could almost get me the watch I have been looking at". Who else does that?

So this morning when the person at the register said $94.85 (which was lower then some normal trips to the grocery store), all I could think of was how I would rather spend that almost $100 towards the chase durer I have been looking at, or the Orient diver watch I really want, etc etc etc.

Amazing how your thinking changes when you really love watches.

Oh yea, I did actually get the food for my family and the watch......will sadly have to wait for now.....
Happens to us every other week. Month of October total so far at the grocery approaches $350.00 for two plus one visiting daughter each weekend. I will say, it includes cleaning supplies and paper products.

And it doesn't get better as you age because you then get nailed at the pharmacy or the direct debit to the checking account from Canada Drugs dot com. Once your annual drug cost limit is reached, you pay close to $5k (an Omega maybe?) out of pocket before you are covered again.

Looking on the positive side, we're still mobile and I did buy the Croton Super C OTV earlier this year; my only purchase for 2009. I'm really looking forward to January 2010 when there might be enough to seriously consider something new. I just can't get a grip on how there are so many buyers of multiple watches on the 'other' forum. I must have done something wrong while I still worked because I rarely bought more than one a month.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts