Watch Freeks banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a NEST thermostat a couple of months ago, partly because of the 'cool' factor and partly to conserve energy. And it really works. It's set and forget once the learning period has ended. I've made some manual adjustments to shut down the heating all together during some hours of the day but apart from that it works like a jiffy. Once the NEST does not sense motion any more it stops the heating. It means that everyone in the house is away. And it adapts to your daily routine. I like it.

Apart from two lamps that contain circular TL lights, all the rest are LED. It started with a government campaign to give us all one LED light bulb for free (when they were still 39 Euros) but now the price has dropped and the light colour has improved, we don't use incandescent lights any more. They can't be bought in my country, they are banned from public sale. (But there are tricks to still get them should you want to).

All this, combined with the extra coated double glazing we got in 2012 and a home automation platform that controls all the major light sources in the house, considerably dropped our energy bill. But it still isn't making us a cent because of the initial investments and our government that keeps finding excuses to raise taxes on all forms of energy. :mad:

The 'things to do' list keeps growing and growing. Chores, a study to start (ITIL Foundations), an exam to take before 1 March (company exam on safety with a mandatory 100% score), old clothes and stuff to sort out and dispose of, the list is endless. But my energy level is currently low. So why am I writing this? :D

I'm longing for the Spring, for the weather to get better and the days to grow longer. To make vacation plans and to smoke a cigar on my balcony!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Know the feeling
Spent $7000 for artificial grass, removed trees and 27 rose bushes, to reduce water use
I live in Yorba Linda Ca. Government won't give tax credit

The water use dropped 75%
We were asked for 36% per household

Then the water company, ag]fter giving a 28% raise to employees, said they are not selling enough water to cove overhead
They raised the rates and I'm paying more than twice as much

Soon, same complaint on gas taxes, lower price means lower revenues
The gas tax is for road and bridges... Yet for years they robbed the account for bus riders
And general fund. So now it's raise taxes.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Know the feeling
Spent $7000 for artificial grass, removed trees and 27 rose bushes, to reduce water use
I live in Yorba Linda Ca. Government won't give tax credit

The water use dropped 75%
We were asked for 36% per household

Then the water company, ag]fter giving a 28% raise to employees, said they are not selling enough water to cove overhead
They raised the rates and I'm paying more than twice as much

Soon, same complaint on gas taxes, lower price means lower revenues
The gas tax is for road and bridges... Yet for years they robbed the account for bus riders
And general fund. So now it's raise taxes.
You have described exactly what is going on here! 100%. Now the energy and petrol prices keep dropping for a prolonged period there are suggestions made to fill the gap with extra taxes. For the 'benefit' of the environment :mad: To make us 'more aware' of our energy use. Because I live much closer to work now, my car use has dropped considerably too, what do they want more?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts