Watch Freeks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of an incredible stupidity on my side my bicycle, complete with GPS system and expensive rechargeable LED lighting system was stolen. I was working on another bike, changing the chain and I put my own bike (a hybrid with a full Deore XT set, custom fork with top-locker and custom handle bars with Brooks handles) against a fence where my bike shed is. And after I completed the work I completely forgot to put my own bike back and just walked away. To make it even worse, the 2-year (and high priced) insurance became void on 1 January because I did not renew it. Sigh.

A new Dutch science show will air this week. One of the presenters is on a program where he consumes one kilo of sugar every day. One kilo a day! He is monitoring his sugar intake closely, eating what at first glance seems ordinary and 'healthy' food but combined some of those complete daily meals contain 32 cubes worth of sugar. He supplements this with candy and soda to get to one kilo of sugar. He was on television yesterday, he's 16 days into the program and is feeling bad. His doctors warned him to stop right now. Another experiment they will do is to stop the main rotor of a helicopter in mid-flight to see what happens. Entertaining TV or complete lunacy? You tell me.

My latest watch purchase is on it's way so I have nothing on order any more. I will use the following months to see if I can scrape together the money for one of the watches on my wish list. The Obris Morgan Explorer II is sold out yet again, I e-mailed them to ask if there will be another production run. Word of advise: don't wait! Buy it right away at that very affordable rate. I hesitated and now it's gone again.

For now, have a great day/evening and stay frosty :D

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
So sorry to hear about your loss.
Thieves are the lowest of scumbags.

Hopefully they'll get their's some day.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Thanks for sharing those musings - bad news on the bicycle.

Where I live, working on a bicycle can have a completely different meaning!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Frans:

Sorry bout your bad luck with your bike.
Do you know the Dutch lead the world in bike ownership
per capita? China exported 31,000,000 bikes in 2015

Sitting at an outdoor cafe in Amsterdam with the wife and
we counted 72 bicycles pass. This was only in one direction.
Not counting the bikes goin the other way.

My son is an Ironman and rides an Argon Tri Bike.
I ride his handed down Trek Madonne. Wanting to buy a
Cervello.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frans:

Sorry bout your bad luck with your bike.
Do you know the Dutch lead the world in bike ownership
per capita? China exported 31,000,000 bikes in 2015

Sitting at an outdoor cafe in Amsterdam with the wife and
we counted 72 bicycles pass. This was only in one direction.
Not counting the bikes goin the other way.

My son is an Ironman and rides an Argon Tri Bike.
I ride his handed down Trek Madonne. Wanting to buy a
Cervello.

Lou Snutt

Yes, there are more bicycles than inhabitants and that is including infants and the very elderly. But (to be honest, I don't know the exact figures) there are also more bicycles stolen per capita than anywhere in the world. In my lifetime, this must be the fifth. One every 8 years on average.

But let the emphasis not be on this misery. For many office workers in cities, the bike is their primary mode of transport. And many companies, including mine, have a special parking space complete with bike racks. Ours is a closed building, only accessible with your electronic employee pass. There are also pumps and material and tools to repair a flat tyre. And showers if you really worked up a sweat.

I won't buy a hybrid multi speed bike any more. I used to work at another branch that was 8 Miles from home. Now it's just 2 Miles. I'm eyeing a light and vintage single speed Italian steel bike with some vintage accessories like Brooks saddle, saddle bag and leather handle bar tape. Plus those ultra thin aluminium Fifties style fenders.

·
Banned
90 Posts
I love bicycles so much. Perhaps my favorite vehicle. Unfortunately where I live, everyday going out in traffic is like playing russian roulette. So dangerous.

Wish I could use it to get anywhere in town but I don't want to die and I don't want it to get stolen (another risk...).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts