Watch Freeks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have noticed a photo of my Citizen Eco-Drive with this gnarly scratch dead smack on top of the Citizen logo. Pics:

I tried removing the scratch by purchasing a "diamond lapping paste" kit through Amazon and following the steps found on this website. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Took me the better part of an afternoon trying to get the scratch off but it didn't even fade.

Next step was to see whether my local Citizen AD would replace the crystal. Thankfully they do, and for a measly sum of 60 bucks I gave them my watch for five days and picked it up today. Also dropped by Best Buy to pick up a few straps that I purchased through their website last night.

Close-up of the watch. No more ugly scratch!

Speaking of Best Buy, they have NATO straps on clearance for less than 4 bucks. The pickings are slim and are only for 22mm lugs, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to share. Here's the link.

Oh, and I got to try on this bad boy. Can't wait to get it next month!

Reactions: arogle1stus

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Very nice ... lol, I didn't know Best Buy carried straps :p ... really. Looks great! I have used that diamond paste but it is a slow process. If the scratch is deep replacement is better.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice ... lol, I didn't know Best Buy carried straps :p ... really. Looks great! I have used that diamond paste but it is a slow process. If the scratch is deep replacement is better.
Apparently some smart watches can accommodate a NATO strap. Dunno if that will affect the functionality of the watch, but it can be done. The clerk thought it was for a Moto 360 smartwatch, but I told him it was for a regular watch.

I'm guessing the diamond paste could work if I had a Dremel, but that would have left a bit of a curve on the crystal and would have warped the view of the dial. That would mean I would have to treat the entire crystal evenly. Plus, the scratch was really deep to warrant a new crystal anyway.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I picked up a few of those straps before they ran out. I think there might be a few left online. Perfect for my Luminox.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Bentfish:
Too bad I couldn't click on "Like" but once.
Luv all these watches.
Small scratch? What small scratch? Hardly
noticeable.
I've bought 2 Deep Blues from their "Scratch
and Dent" section. Like the scratch on your
watch You'd have to be a Hawkeye to see it

Lou Snutt

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Looks brand new again Fish ! Holy cow, they did a spectacular job it seems ! :smile-thumb2: Plus it sounds like they gave you a really great deal !!! Boy oh boy, just came out perfect. :) Those NATO's look really nice as well. Didn't even know Best Buy had watch straps ! :eek: What a terrific week for you Fish, and that Seiko is coming soon too ! Triple congrats !!!

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Was the original crystal sapphire or mineral? Because for $60 you perhaps could have replaced it with sapphire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts