Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for this topic and did not see it so here goes. This is a hypothetical situation.
You are to be given one watch to use forever. Price is not object but there are no do overs. This watch is your only watch. You are allowed lubrication and adjustment for being fast and slow but no replacement parts. Basically this watch has to last you the rest of your life or as close as is possible, and if it breaks you can't replace it
So the question is: What brand and model (or movement) would you get?
My choice would be an Omega speed master with the 321 movement ( however the more I read about the Seiko spring drive, the more I might go that way)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I would have to stick with one I already own a 1994 Rolex GMT Master 16700 gifted to me from my Dad. In way I am very pleased that I will never be able to top this one. uploadfromtaptalk1454274461028.jpg Have been wearing it today.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
This question has been asked many times before in many different forms. On a deserted island, only one watch, if you have to sell all but one, and so on and so forth. In this and all the other galaxies :D. It is an easy question to ask but difficult to answer. We don't know what watches will last a life time (say 85 years) because watches like the Seiko Astron are on the market for just a few years now and thus nothing is known about their longevity. We also don't know if the watch batteries that we are using now are still available 50 years from now so that rules out those watches that depend on them. I'd go for a Rolex Sub without date. As simple and sturdy as possible. Well maintained exemplars from the Sixties still run so that's reassuring. As you didn't mention accuracy I have left that out of the equation.

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
No replacement parts? I guess I would go with a Citizen Eco-Drive and abandon mechanicals, if I had to depend on only one watch for the rest of my life.

If forced into a choice of mechanicals, either a Rolex or something from Seiko their SKX movements and the 6R15 movements, all are pretty bullet proof, but no parts....hmmm?

Reactions: okcmco

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Rolex Explorer II........

Reactions: Roarry and okcmco

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Unfortunately, no matter the reputation of the watch or company, things break. Under the assumption that I could in fact service it as needed and keep it forever, I'd likely still be rocking a Seiko. Maybe my MM300, although I question how many years I could wear it daily before it gets too scratched and scuffed. A vintage 600 meter automatic Tuna would probably be the perfect choice for me. The 6159-7010 (or the more rare reissue):

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Only one watch huh?
Like to have one of those "watch I'd like to have back" watches.
About 60 + years ago I owned a war surplus A 11 WW2 watch.
If my memory isn't too dim, mine was made by Hamilton (4
watch companies made em for the military) had the 239 cal.
movement, 36mm case. Green dialed. 17 jewels (I think).

Lou Snutt

·
Super Moderator
10,596 Posts
Oh man okcmco, honestly have such a hard time answering these questions. Think I might have to be spontaneous with the brand. Could be anyone, but would maybe go for a funky hand winding diver from the sixties/seventies. ...Those are so neat ! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hmmm. One watch for life? Well, me being an offshore oil field worker, I'd need something water proof, desire something solar or mechanical, and something that could take a beating in case things go to ****. This would also serve as my zombie apocalypse watch.

If the tuna came as a chrono, it would be the most ideal for me, but the tuna as it is now would fit the bill.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts