Watch Freeks banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I read all the time (not here, really) about people crying because they found their watch $5.00 cheaper somewhere else.

Or bought a watch for $800 a year ago that's now going for $450.

Then I read about people holding out for so long for "The Deal" that they suddenly find their watch is unavailable.

So which is it.

The watch?

Or "The Deal"?

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

For me it is the watch. First I identify the watch I am hunting and then I seek the deal. Never do I buy just because the deal is good. Now I might go for a watch down my list a bit if a good deal pops up. Recently I was hunting the Citizen Orca. Ran into some issue and grabbed a deal on the Seiko Orange Monster, it was #2 on my list. then the Orca popped up and I ended up with both. Lucky me....

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

For me it has the be The Watch first and then the deal. If I don't like the watch it makes no difference how good the deal is because I wont get it.

Now if I like the watch and the deal is good - bonus!

good question/topic Toecutter

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Typically the watch TC but I have held out for the deal also. In most cases holding out has worked........but missed a few that I would still like to have but will never pay the price they are normally advertised at. Kinda difficult for example to justify $880 when it's been as low as $500.

CJ

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Always the watch first and if it is a good deal then that is just a bonus. If I am not going to wear the watch no reason to buy it. An example of a nice deal/nice watch recent purchase was my wife getting the Scuba. Nice looking watch but the price was right too.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

For me, it's the watch first. I may end up paying the "higher price", in order to get one. However, there are a few models that I've waited until the prices dropped.

Then there are those watches (usually under $100) that I will buy because of "the deal" (like the Magico watches and SL GMTs that kept popping up). :)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

I don't see this recession really ending, so "deals" will keep getting better.

My plan is to wait for a really NICE piece that is insanely cheap for what you would normally pay.

Maybe somebody's second-hand luxury brand or maybe an Oris or Hamilton on a one-hour deal.

The GREAT opportunities to maximize what you get for dollars spent come around too often now for me NOT to take a shot with a nicer piece.

But that's just me.

David

·
Registered
241 Posts
imported post

I scour the web for a few minutes each day for the latest models. If I find something great, I note the model and look for it about 3 months later on all the deal sites. When the price is right I grab it.

Just snagged the SWI limited this way, and also got in on the magico/winder deal a couple of months ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.