Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may have noticed from my signature, four watches are gone. They were all analogue quartz watches. Two of them Chinese made 'Swiss Expedition' chronographs that I bought in Indonesia and that came in very nice presentation boxes with many extras. My wife Anne now has two very proud nephews who are sporting 'awesome' watches :D The third one, an analogue DCF (time signal receiving) watch is binned. The battery is dead and for the likes of me I can't open the back with any of my special tools. It was cheap so no loss. The fourth, a Casio Duro 200, will also find a new home soon.

In my humble (and illogical :D) opinion, the quartz watch is what the direct drive turntable is. Once heralded as the next thing in record playing, now most of them (Technics) are DJ equipment and vanished from the living room. When I first thumbed through the brochure I was awestruck by the pictures and specs. Wow! Quartz-lock direct drive, with a stroboscope to set that RPM ever so accurate. Belt driven turntables are now still considered to be the most natural and relaxed sounding record playback devices. Not the direct drive ones, although lately it's more like comparing apples with pears. Belt driven turntables have evolved into elaborate and sometimes extremely expensive works of engineering art whilst the direct drive turntable hasn't changed very much.

So, to make a long story short: quartz watches are very accurate but without a soul and mechanical watches are 'natural and relaxed'. And inherently more inaccurate but who cares?

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own both quartz and mechanical.
Neither has any semblance of a soul. Watches are as likely to "sing to you" as they are to have a "soul".
Let me repeat a part of the first sentence of the second paragraph: "In my humble (and illogical :D) opinion". That says it all.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I mostly agree with the quartz vs mechanical opinion, though I feel there are exceptions to every rule.
I still feel like my Quartz Tuna has more "soul" than many automatics I have owned. I'd never unload my watches Ailey based on the type of movement, only because the movement is only part of the package. There is a lot more to a watch, and that is one of the reasons this is such a personal hobby.

At the moment I only have two Quartz watches in my collection, and they both happen to be two of my favorites.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mostly agree with the quartz vs mechanical opinion, though I feel there are exceptions to every rule.
I still feel like my Quartz Tuna has more "soul" than many automatics I have owned. I'd never unload my watches Ailey based on the type of movement, only because the movement is only part of the package. There is a lot more to a watch, and that is one of the reasons this is such a personal hobby.

At the moment I only have two Quartz watches in my collection, and they both happen to be two of my favorites.
There are exceptions. I've owned several Citizen Aqualand Pro divers which I (and many others) still consider one of the best dive watches ever. Although I must stress I'm not qualified to form an opinion on this because my deepest dive is 3 meters, in a swimming pool :D And there are several important pieces that I admire very much, the Rolex Oysterquartz and the Omega Marine Chronometer. That sounds like a cheap escape from a firm stance but these are watches that could belong to my collection any time.

Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
There is an intellible factor to a mechanical watch that defies logic. Common sense tells me my citizen eco-drive AT watches are all I will ever need , but the mechanical mystique soon cacels that out.

·
Registered
375 Posts
For me, this argument of Quartz or mechanical is repeated in many other aspects of my life. In guitar amps, there are new digital modeling amps that mimic the sound of classic tube amps. The magnetic capture of music on vinyl or tape is an actual physical process as compared to digital.
In many ways, these systems are superior. They are certainly easier and cheaper.
But it is not for me at this stage of my life. I am old school in many ways and it is not always a logical move.
It like what the music aficionado said when asked why he insisted on vinyl over CD. he said "mostly for the added expense and inconvenienece."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Freeks:
I gotta get a new rationale in respect to gifting watches.
5 grandsons were presented with five of my watches,
from my over crowded watchbox.

In checking (but saying nothing) all 5 of them aren't
wearing the gifted watches. Whyzzzat? If they had no
intention of wearing them, why accept them?

My sons (3 of them) are wearing the watches I gifted
them (unlike their sons)

Mystified with grandsons (not really). They shun my
gifts for cells, Garmins?

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
389 Posts
I feel more attached to (most of) my automatics. My Seikos all get a ton a love. My tisell gets lots of love also. Mostly because I have to take care to wind them due to lack of a winder. Lol.

My only quartz watches I'm really attached to are my citizens. Other than that, I just keep the rest around to match what I'm wearing that day.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Freeks:
After wearing watches, lo these many years, I have some definite
choices NOT TO BUY!!!!
Number one. No Kinetic watch ever conceived.
No 2. No Tourbillions, Tanks, Skeletons, or Open Heart watches.
They simply don't fit my pistol.
No 3. Nothing but Affordables.

Just my 2 cents worth. Autos, Hand winds vs. Quartz? Depends on
the watch

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I own automatics, manual wind and quartz (including HEQ). They all have their place in my collection and get worn (eventually).

LOL, more then a few of my "eventually" watches, haven't seen wrist time in over a year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts