Watch Freeks banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'd like to play Berzerk on that thing.
They are $59.95 but sold out on the AtGames website. I picked one up from eBay for $45 but the shipping and import duty doubled that :mad:

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Let's see now: watches, mini games consoles, vintage range finder cameras, Bolex clockwork film cameras, flight jackets, knives, books and assorted knick-knacks. OMG, I'm and addict! :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Let's see now: watches, mini games consoles, vintage range finder cameras, Bolex clockwork film cameras, flight jackets, knives, books and assorted knick-knacks. OMG, I'm and addict! :)
Yeah you got problems, buddy. Not me though! I only collect like 3/4 of that stuff... plus a couple other things 😉

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
And to justify this I tell myself that I don't blow my money in bars or spend it al on two Rolexes :) That's it, I feel better now. In fact, by NOT buying two Rolexes I saved money!

·
Super Moderator
9,363 Posts
It's a disease :) When I start collecting, well, I start COLLECTING! :cool: The arcade one is the current NEO-GEO Mini. Not what was expected so many hope for a NEO-GEO AES Mini to be released (including myself). I also did a pre-order on an Evercade some time ago but that has been postponed by a month.

😄 Well it sounds ridiculously fun, and I love just seeing everything !
It's insanely cool learning about all of the old, but also brand new
systems, and games that are out there now. 😵😎 I mean just seeing
the old sytems brings back memories, but all of these new ones like
that Evercade you are showing. Look like they can make some really
terrific new memories. Looks like you can play that on the TV, or go
in portable mode like the Switch !

So so neat sir. Thanks a ton for the pic, along with info, and link !

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

I was perusing some vintage Braun electronics and found this Dieter Rams designed television and thought of your project and doing something similar. Though this is proving difficult to find, I thought it worth a share.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

I was perusing some vintage Braun electronics and found this Dieter Rams designed television and thought of your project and doing something similar. Though this is proving difficult to find, I thought it worth a share.
Absolutely stunning design! Minimalism taken to another level. Olivetti had an equally genius designer in their midst in the Seventies. (Brionvega as well). It would be sacrilege to alter but one screw. This is another one, from my birth year:

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You don't have to ask! In those same Seventies a mail order company (now we would call this a web shop) in my country sold home electronics from a brand called Schneider. They took heavy cues from the likes of Braun. White was the primary colour. With almost exactly this TV-set. It was an 'homage' ;)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Or you could buy one ready made for $2800 (without shipping):

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
And just arrived, the Atari 2600 Mini:

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Fascinating. Wish I had the patience to learn and play these games
Shhhht, don't tell, I play a handful of games on my Retropie/TV system, these minis I only collect ;). I just fired it up and oh boy, so very, very, very 70s. Blocky graphics, beepy sounds. Just like it was back in the day because the games are licensed originals. A marvel to behold.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

My daughter (she's 30) absolutely loves these designs (I raised here well:)). Together we have visited a couple of exhibits in a local museum covering these and other designs.

·
Super Moderator
9,363 Posts
All of those monitors are incredible to see guys ! 😮

Now wanted to ask you Eric, and Frans !! Are they actually old monitors
from years back, or new, and made to look old? I honestly don't remember
monitors, or TV's looking like this. They are something to see !

Beyond cool ! 😎 ;)

Oh, and a giant congrats there on the Atari 2600 Mini too Frans ! 🕹 🎮
That one really is 'mini', and seems just a touch bigger than the
controller does. It's phenomenal, and unbelievable how they put
so many games within that little guy. 😃 Can see the graphics
now, and hear those beeps !

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
All of those monitors are incredible to see guys ! 😮

Now wanted to ask you Eric, and Frans !! Are they actually old monitors
from years back, or new, and made to look old? I honestly don't remember
monitors, or TV's looking like this. They are something to see !

Beyond cool ! 😎 ;)

Oh, and a giant congrats there on the Atari 2600 Mini too Frans ! 🕹 🎮
That one really is 'mini', and seems just a touch bigger than the
controller does. It's phenomenal, and unbelievable how they put
so many games within that little guy. 😃 Can see the graphics
now, and hear those beeps !
They are TV-sets but the last one I showed is a rendition of a TV that actually houses a LCD monitor and a games system like the one I have. Bespoke construction and very expensive. The original games were very small (measured in bytes) so to cram 110 games into a modern set-up is easy. I won't go into details but all those minis run Linux with an emulator on top to mimic the original hardware. This Atari is very cute, they nailed it. What's missing is a tiny cartridge and that will be my next quest. Tom, thanks for your interest in this kinda nerdy and to some childish (for a 60 year old) hobby. But that's just who I am and I don't care what my peers think of it :)

·
Super Moderator
9,363 Posts
They are TV-sets but the last one I showed is a rendition of a TV that actually houses a LCD monitor and a games system like the one I have. Bespoke construction and very expensive. The original games were very small (measured in bytes) so to cram 110 games into a modern set-up is easy. I won't go into details but all those minis run Linux with an emulator on top to mimic the original hardware. This Atari is very cute, they nailed it. What's missing is a tiny cartridge and that will be my next quest. Tom, thanks for your interest in this kinda nerdy and to some childish (for a 60 year old) hobby. But that's just who I am and I don't care what my peers think of it :)
Well they are all pretty amazing, and actually beautiful. It seems very
similar to the way it is with watches, and cars. Where the older types
seem to be really eye-catching, and incredibly designed. With each
model, or brand having an unmistakable personality. Love that really,
and how the styles stood out. :D

On the video game front, have to thank YOU for posting about all of
it to be honest. 😎 It's no more nerdy than anything else anyone is
into, and think it's just the best ! ..I know my interest in video games
has be reignited, and I want to get that TurboGrafx-16 Mini some
time down the road sir. 😄

Enjoy !

41 - 58 of 58 Posts