Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
"Worth" is equated/related to rarity, materials used, prestige and ultimately supply and demand.

If someone will pay that much then yes it is worth that amount.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
If I could afford one I'd buy one....only not is gold or rose gold. Maybe in platinum.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Uh...no it's not worth $72K, but they sell some at that price I bet. As you know, $72k is like $72 to some people. It's all relative

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Not to me, that's for sure. If I were gonna invest in a 5-6 figure watch it would be a Rolex 5517 milsub, Blancpain milsub or something in my wheelhouse. That's my taste though. Others like small, thin gold dress watches while I prefer large, thick steel divers. Beauty of the watch world: There's something for everyone.

Professional Expert

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
Absolutely if you can resell it for near or more than you paid. Certainly the right brand for that kind of price tag.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Is This Watch Worth $72,000?

To me, no watch is worth 72K because I have so many other uses for that kind of money to spend that I just could not justify that cost.

To someone with a super comfy financial situation, it could certainly be worth 72K though. Heck, with a big bankroll behind me, I might leave that much for a dinner tip if it was what I really wanted to do so why not have a stunning Patek? What I would probably do next is go and visit each of the cities on the dial, too. Now that sounds like fun to me.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
There are plenty of watches out there upwards of $100k that are not made of precious metals or gems but derive their value from distinctive engineering or design and limited production, so the question of "what it's worth" is highly subjective.

As stated before, if someone is willing to pay that much for it then it's worth it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Is any watch costing over a few hundred bucks worth it? To some people yes, yet others wouldn't buy a watch over $50.00.

If that Patek was made of 100% pure 24K gold with diamonds around the bezel there wouldn't be $72K in weight. It's funny I see people buying watches with the exact same movement as other watches that sell for much less expensive and they claim that theirs is better because of the brand it's better. IMO a watch is really just as good as the moment inside not the case they put it in. There are some watches out there that are 100% hand made just a few built with 100s of parts and are very complicated movements that sell for much more. I can see people paying a little more for those but 6 figures? I don't know. Now I have some pretty pricey watches Hublot, Patek, Jager, Rolex etc. I paid big money for them and it was because I had money to burn, I was much younger and just wasn't concerned about cost. The watches I have in my safe deposit box are worth more than some peoples homes! Actually when I bought a couple they probably did cost me what I could have paid for a house or condo at the time. Were they worth it? At the time I got them I thought they were. Truthfully I should sell them off and buy a Ferrari or some other exotic I would get more enjoyment out of it.

It all comes down to, If you want a watch just to tell time you get a Timex it will last forever, if you want to show off your rich/status symbol you buy this $72K watch, if you just like to wear a watch for fashion or to collect like myself you buy what ever you like with no consideration of price or brand. Although lately I refuse to buy a watch over $500.00.
For someone like my EX GF 72 grand is a drop in the bucket but I doubt she would spend it on a watch.

I learned the hard way! Never buy a watch as an investment!!! No matter what the brand they depreciate pretty quick especially if you pay retail for it.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
A similar topic came up just last night while a few friends came over for some drinks. None of them are really watch guys but because I have so many watches the subject always comes up. One of the guys was saying he wanted a Rolex and he looked at several that were in the 10 grand range give or take. The other guys gave him a rash of crap about it, mainly because they do not believe you need a $10,000.00 watch to tell time. His reply was he didn't want it to tell time he wanted it to show off to his friends as how successful he has become. IMO Rolex is not what I would buy to show success, you can buy a Rolex for a lot less new. I have a few in my collection and do not wear them all that much. I even offered up one of mine to him for a lot less than he was planning on spending it's really not for sale but for a close friend I would make an exception and do the favor. He didn't want a pre owned watch! My watches are are 9.7 out of 10. I keep my stuff nice and the fact I own so many they do not get the wrist time most people watches do. I am a true collector I do not care what brand name or cost low or high if I like it I'll buy it. Even if I had a billion dollars doing nothing, I doubt I would buy a $72,000.00 watch I would use that much money for better purposes. Even if I had to have it I would wait to buy it pre owned for half or less of that price.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's not worth that price to me. I don't even like the look of the watch. But eh, we are all entitled to our own opinions haha.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts