Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I never felt my Rolex (now gone) was actually worth the money spent considering the number of outstanding watches that are available at a fraction of the price. Currently my Subaqua meteorite is the most expensive item I have and as time goes on I am less enamored with it. If I had to do it again I would pass at the price I paid. Now if it were half that price, I might reconsider.

CJ
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
imported post

Like you Seattle, my Rolex Daytona as far as pricing goes was a joke, as was my Super Avenger. There isnt a watch on this planet that IMO is worth anything over $5K!!! I dont have an expensive high dollar watch anymore and never will. I get way more out of my current stock then I did with the two high dollar watches I once owned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
imported post

I no longer have the watch that I spent the most on, which was a Leviathan 7750. I feel that it was worth the 1K that I spent on it, especially since it debuted at 2K.
My current most expensive watch is an SAS and I do feel that the 2 that I actually paid for are worth the money spent.
**edit** After thinking about what I wrote, I realized that I paid more for 1 one my Venoms than either of the 2 SAS's that I paid for. I would have to say that it was still worth the price that I paid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
864 Posts
imported post

Rolex 16613 TT Blue submariner.... Yes i do, 10 years later and i can still get almost what i paid for it new! Think that is the only way you cant tell what something is worth.. RESALE VALUE!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,976 Posts
imported post

Don't believethe SAS which I no longer own was worth what I paid. Great design but was a poser imo. Again only my opinion sodon't bash me. Will never out right buy another Invicta. Based onwhat I currently own as my most expensive watches the money spent on my Chase Durer Strike Force and Crossfire being that these watches retail for around $700 and $1000 respectively and I only have $700 in both total I believe they were well worth what I paid and would do it all over again for them if necessary. I just happened to befortunate enough that the shop was clearing them out or probably wouldn't have come close to those prices brand new on Chase Durer.

I do have plans to purchase one or two Hamiltons, an Oris and a couple of NFWs and possibly a Ball Fireman II and I am still trying to rationalize the prices I will have to pay for a few of them so not sure if they will all be worth it or not but that is another matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
imported post

I believe (in most cases) any price you pay for something, makes it worth it.

People change their minds (and maybe regret their decisions), but something got you to buy it for the price you bought it for, originally. Rarely are we ever forced to buy something (especially luxuries like watches).

I have recouped my buying price on almost all Jaeger/Rolex/Omega/Patek/Accutron/Tissot purchases, so they were very much worth the price I paid (plus I got to enjoy them, before reselling them).

There is no watch in my current collection that is worth what I paid for it (unless purchased used or received in a trade). :(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yeah, what Rip said.

With all the great exposure to so many different watches here at WF's I am seriously considering something "different" or at least for me. I really like the Oris watches and plan to do some research...maybe an Xmas gift for myself???:b

RipitRon wrote:
Like you Seattle, my Rolex Daytona as far as pricing goes was a joke, as was my Super Avenger. There isnt a watch on this planet that IMO is worth anything over $5K!!! I dont have an expensive high dollar watch anymore and never will. I get way more out of my current stock then I did with the two high dollar watches I once owned.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

Apparently, and after recent things that have happened - I am not sure if any of my watches are worth anything at all.

Like my SAS, my SAN III is now available for less then I originally paid for it.

So while my watches are all ones I like very much, there is apparently very little current value of my collection.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Definitely one of the reasons for my post.........I was looking through my stuff and "guesstimating" current value versus what I paid and it was really depressing. But the good new, I still dig everything I own and in the end that's all that matters. I still have a couple I may sell or trade but I guess I should do it quick before I owe money on them....LOL:%:%

TVDinner wrote:
Apparently, and after recent things that have happened - I am not sure if any of my watches are worth anything at all.

Like my SAS, my SAN III is now available for less then I originally paid for it.

So while my watches are all ones I like very much, there is apparently very little current value of my collection.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,976 Posts
imported post

Very true....every word. I like what I have for the most partand that is all that matters. I have learned some valuable and expensive lessons though. Great post Seattle.

Seattle wrote:
Definitely one of the reasons for my post.........I was looking through my stuff and "guesstimating" current value versus what I paid and it was really depressing. But the good new, I still dig everything I own and in the end that's all that matters. I still have a couple I may sell or trade but I guess I should do it quick before I owe money on them....LOL:%:%

TVDinner wrote:
Apparently, and after recent things that have happened - I am not sure if any of my watches are worth anything at all.

Like my SAS, my SAN III is now available for less then I originally paid for it.

So while my watches are all ones I like very much, there is apparently very little current value of my collection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,976 Posts
imported post

i think that my new Anonimo is now the most expensive one I have at a Retail of like $4500...Not to be confused with Invictas "Retail Pricing"...lol. It is truly magnificent in person and I would say its worth the price of admission...Glad i got it preowned for a discount though...I see though how some would say that I could get 4 sweet $1k watches for that amount which is true,,,,,but Im focusing on quality over qty hence all my selling off watches.....I think i could get down to 20 top shelf watches and be perfectly happy without having 40 or 50 watches in my rotation.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,876 Posts
imported post

I had two very nice watches at one time...both stolen from our townhouse in the aftermath of Katrina... a Movado and a Tag. I didn't pay anything for either one of them...I won them in sales contests when I worked in the Personal Computer arena during the late 1980's to early 1990's. Would I have paid what they were listed for..probably not...especailly the Tag...it was one of their higher end pieces when I won it.

I enjoy my newer watches a lot more than my Tag and Movado...the styling and size fits me better. If I could have had my Stuhrling Original Madman Chrono LE back in the day...I would have been a happy man. I like the watch more than any watch I have ever owned. The style, fit, and finish of the watch is wonderful, and it feels like it was custom made for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
imported post

To answer the OP's question...yes, worth every penny.

I can fully understand anyone having doubts on any watch at $5,000 or more. I probably would too...unless I bought it for some kind of extremely rare occasion or milestone. At that point, it would not only be an exceptional time piece, but something special that commemorates a memorial event. Who knows...not sure I'd ever pay $5k or more for a watch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
imported post

Breitling Super Avenger...Worth every penny...My thing is this..If you are willing to purchase the watch at what ever price you pay for it then its worth it to you...Just as long as the value does not tank to more then half after owning it for a few months.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,976 Posts
imported post

I believe many are feeling that sting of tanking right now but I do agree with your analysis for sure.

Jackprime1 wrote:
Breitling Super Avenger...Worth every penny...My thing is this..If you are willing to purchase the watch at what ever price you pay for it then its worth it to you...Just as long as the value does not tank to more then half after owning it for a few months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,217 Posts
imported post

I have a Breitling that I got in 1973 I saw the same watch last rear at auction for over5 times its original cost
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
imported post

Im sure you will find a few that have kept there value and there are people that will tell you this all day long until you ask them how much they will give you for it right now and let them answer. the dollar is not worth what is was 5 years ago, Hell its not worth what it was a year ago and the biggest problem with Invictas resale is they are flooding the market, but i don't buy to resell or make a profit, i buy them because i love them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,154 Posts
imported post

I like collecting a watches a WHOLE lot more when all I cared about was "liking" the watch and how it looked on me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,308 Posts
imported post

Over twenty years ago I bought a Movado. Paid close to full retail for it. I loved that watch and I was going to get it no matter what the cost. Ha! I still got it and I still like it. And I don't care if it's "too small" anymore. So yeah, it was worth it.



I'd never pay retail now................maybe.



I have my, fewer, high priced watches and then I have my more plentiful,less expensive, "fun" watches. And you know what? They're all worth it.

But then again I don't treat them as an investment. It's just a fun hobby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
I like collecting a watches a WHOLE lot more when all I cared about was "liking" the watch and how it looked on me.
I too buy for what I like, Just like my Gem collection, it pleases me. I expect anything that is collected to go down in monetary value but was a high value item at the time of purchase. Again it pleased me to purchase it so the watch or gem will have a high value to me. I do not plan to sell any of my watches or gems.

I have purchased NEW cars because they were new to the market. I had number 7 of the imported little Honda 2 cylinder sedan back in the early 70's. Had a Gold and Black paisley top, chrome wheels on a white body.and was so odd that people always took a second look. It did not bother me that it soon was common in Southern California and took a deep dive in value. I purchased it because it pleased me.

It pleased me, it pleased me. Remember that when you look at your collection. It pleased me at the time I purchased it. Enough said!
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top