Watch Freeks banner

Is it safe to shower in your divers watch?

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Tiguy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Now that was cool Gary, and you know, don't think have even seen this
done with a sensor put inside a watch ! :jaw::happy0065: What an ingenious idea sir !!!

We have seen so many cool tests of watches over the years, but this was
extra cool because you could actually see what the watch was doing thanks
to the graph, and everything. ..So temperature more than anything else
seemed to have the biggest impact, but the watch still made it through
with flying colors. :thumb: :)

Holy cow, he thought of everything with this test. ..Honestly, just
the power washer part was impressive ! ..Thanks a ton for this sir !!!

Really enjoyed !

#3 ·
Now that was cool Gary, and you know, don't think have even seen this

done with a sensor put inside a watch ! :jaw::happy0065: What an ingenious idea sir !!!

We have seen so many cool tests of watches over the years, but this was

extra cool because you could actually see what the watch was doing thanks

to the graph, and everything. ..So temperature more than anything else

seemed to have the biggest impact, but the watch still made it through

with flying colors. :thumb: :)

Holy cow, he thought of everything with this test. ..Honestly, just

the power washer part was impressive ! ..Thanks a ton for this sir !!!

Really enjoyed !
You are indeed welcome, glad you enjoyed it.

Sent from my S10_Pro using Tapatalk

#5 ·
No me neither, but a lot of people seem to be under the impression that it could be the soap and the temperature of the water is very harmful to the gaskets within the watch it and eventually corrode the seal and let in water.
In my opinion if your divers watch let's water in whilst in the shower you either have a poor quality watch or old seals that required replacing.
In all seriousness watches are available that can withstand the pressure at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, will a bit of heat and soap bother them I think not.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious
#6 ·
I'll go from my very own experience. I've done it so many times after yard work, or being in the ocean. It's just not a problem. It's meant to be in the water after all so never understood the paranoia about a shower.

Also there's a huge difference between a shower and using a pressure washer, which can peel your skin back. Ask me how I know that.

#7 ·
I don't wear a watch in the shower because I don't want soap scum all over it, not because I'm afraid it's going leak!

#11 ·
Yup, when I am on a dive boat, in the sun and jump into the ocean, the temperature change can ge significant.

If I owned a 'dive' watch that I couldn't wear in the shower I'd get rid of it. Wouldn't trust it while diving.

The most dangerous thing you can do is take your watch off in the bathroom. If you drop it on the floor you're going to do so much more damage than wearing it under water :)

#12 ·
Oh cool, some really terrific insight honestly Bjorn. :smileyface_hand_cla In a way
it's like the shower is almost kind of like a test ground for dive watches.
In that it mimics some of the temperature conditions evidently. It's really
so interesting actually when you think about it.

Wow, and what a scary good point about what can happen to our watches
if we take them off, and they end up hitting the floor. :eek3:

Actually is as dangerous as the Marianas Trench ! :) Thanks so much sir !!!

#15 ·
:bounce: :) Was just such a cool way of testing a watch right sir?! :cool:

I mean we have seen so many tests of watches over the years,
but this method was really unique. A little bit old school, and also
new school !

P.S. Bjorn, sorry I am seeing this so late. ..Somehow missed your
response, and am just seeing it today. :redface:

Hope you had just an outstanding weekend on your end by the way !

#14 ·
I can remember the so called "watch experts" on ShopNBC or Evine or whatever they call themselves this week issuing the most dire warnings about exposing your precious timepiece to even the slightest amount of warm soapy water and the horrendous damage that would certainly ensue from such egregious mistreatment...and that the warranty would absolutely not apply if you were so foolish as to abuse your watch in this manner.

#20 ·
Never forget peeps, even if you have a H20 that can survive quite happily at the bottom of the Mariana Trench do not and I repeat DO NOT get soap on it. [emoji23]

#22 ·
Please everyone I am about to wash my hands, please wish me luck.

#27 ·
My first was a Chronosport SeaQuartz 30 I owned from '80 to about '95. Used hard for diving, under ice, in the summer heat, and while I worked construction. Everyday I took a shower with it with no issues. I did send it out once a year for battery and cleaning so maybe the gaskets had better protection that way, but I was actually surprised when I bought another dive watch about 10 years ago and the manual said not to wear in the shower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.