Watch Freeks banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Lately I have noticed that while on a phone call I can hear what seems to be ringing ( like while waiting for someone to pick up) in the form of a low hum while in conversation. It lasts the whole time. At first I thought I was crossing signals with someone but it happens everywhere and thought the entire conversation. I'm stumped. Anyone have this?

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Nope.
I've had the 5 since it came out and haven't had an issue.
Have you dropped the phone at all or got water in the speaker?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No not at all. It was in a lifeproof case. Had issues with the case and got a new one that is now perfect. No water though. I'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Well, you might have to take a trip to the apple store.
I had an issue with my 4 and found the apple guys accommodating , they replaced my phone no problem. ,

·
Registered
4 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem. My iPhone 5 is brand new. I shut all the vibrate options and that seemed to work so far. How about you?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

superdynamite wrote:
I have the same problem. My iPhone 5 is brand new. I shut all the vibrate options and that seemed to work so far. How about you?
Ill have to try that. It is only when I'm having an conversation I here a low ringing hum through the earpiece as if someone has not picked up the phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
imported post

I am trying to locate the root of the problem through process of elimination ;

I'm using a "life proof" case. I think the airtight pressurization is causing a malfunction that then causes the speaker to vibrate. Do you use the same case?

·
Registered
4 Posts
imported post

It's the Lifeproof case that causes the hum. I read it on a site that has reviews of the case. You need to decrease the air pressure of the case. This is acomplished by pushing in the clear plastic square while putting the phone in the case. It fixed my hum. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

That all sounds plausible
The hum I'm experiencing is a ringing tone through the ear price while on a conversation. Is that what you have also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
imported post

I was experiencing a low frequency hum. It was happening when I held the phone to my ear. It was so low that it was just enough to be annoying while on a call. I initially thought the phone was defective. It's the case. 100%

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have experienced the same thing for quite a while. I have an iPhone 5 and a Lifeproof case, and it is not really a hum, but more like the periodic pulsing of just the lowest frequencies from when you hear a phone ringing from your earpiece when you call someone. It is very soft and not really a bother, but it makes me curious.

I am old enough to remember phones with dials, and it is slightly reminiscent of the sound we used to hear when the dial was returning (only quieter).

I fail to see how pressure in the case could be the cause though because we equalize the pressure every time we open one of the plug ports on the bottom. I will open one when it is happening next time, but I am skeptical.

If any of you have figured more of this out since the posts let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You've probably resolved it by now but just just to throw this out there. To troubleshoot - re-boot phone or check and download new software. It's happened to me before and all well with the above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts