Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been away from watch collecting for awhile so please forgive me if this is not the place to post this.

I've just had my 3rd Invicta watch fail just past the 5 year warranty period. My watch guy tried to put in a new battery but it made no difference and he said the problem is with the movement. These are all $300 or over watches. Has anyone experienced this with Invicta? Up until this happened I thought they were quality stuff but now I'm beginning think otherwise.

I have 4 Citizen watches, 3 of which are over 10 years old, and they are still going strong !!

Can someone also update me on what happened to watchgeeks.net.

Thanks in advance for any information and help !!!

R

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Can't help with that watch. Can your watchmaker replace the movement?
What movement is it?

Also, stick with Citizen, Seiko and countless other brands I can rattle off. Yes, I speak from experience for anyone reading thinking I am a hater.

Also, waychgeeks went bye bye and closed down a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info - I hate to put any more money into the Invictas since I figure the movement would probably cost about as much as the watch. My watch guy suggested sending them back to Invicta but since that would cost about $60 or so just for the postage to and back and then whatever they would charge to just look at them, since all are no longer under the warranty - just doesn't seem worth it.

I will stick with my Citizen watches since they keep better time anyway !!

·
Banned
754 Posts
If you have Facebook, Rick Hoover in Pennsylvania can help you. He runs Current Time a Watch Works and just serviced my Miyota 9015 that wasn't holding the power reserve it should. He also helped me buy and swap out a Quartz ETA 251.272 movement once for me and fixed a crown issue I had on an Ana-Digi piece. If you don't have Facebook, I can PM you his email.

He has a quick turn around too. He got my watch yesterday and will ship back Monday. Always finishes the job well within a week.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info but there still would be the cost issue for the new movement. At this point it just doesn't seem worth the trouble to spend more money on the watches and hope there is nothing else that is going to fail.

Thanks again !!

·
Registered
526 Posts
At least it is not a "ETA 7750" in your watch. You might be surprised and find it is really a SW500.

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Quartz movements are cheap. If you like the watch, change out the movement.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Here are two websites that have a big inventory of watch movements.

The hard part of a do-it-yourself repair project is not replacing a (quartz) movement, that's pretty easy, the tough part is putting the hands back correctly. The hands are small and ever so delicate. I tried, gave up, and had my local and very talented watch repair guy do it for me. I hand him the watch and the new movement and he charges me $20-25 for his labor.

www.esslinger.com

www.ofrei.com

Reactions: arogle1stus

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Its not hard to replace a quartz movement, all it takes is patience. Anything watch repair related is patience .
I personally am not a fan of ANY modern quartz watch now, unless its a long life swiss movement. Only Seiko and Citizen quartzes last as long or longer.
I have replaced batteries in 1970's seiko and citizen quartzes , and they start right up.
Invicta regretfully uses regular swiss and chinese quartz movements in their watches, and those movements have plastic moving parts. They basically will ONLY last 5-7 years. Its JUST LIKE new cars. If they have a 5 year warranty, you can bet your bottom dollar you WILL have problems the 6th year. They actually test and know the average lifespan of their products, brainy scientists in white jackets test those things.
A better buy would be automatics and mechanicals, because they can be repaired, rebuilt, serviced, and taken care of. There are VERY FEW serviceable quartz watches now a days. There were plenty serviceable quartzes in the 1970s and 80s. Invicta CAN be a decent watch, if you know what you are buying. If its mechanical, you are better off. They sell the quartzes as disposable after the movement wears out, chuck it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If you have Facebook, Rick Hoover in Pennsylvania can help you. He runs Current Time a Watch Works and just serviced my Miyota 9015 that wasn't holding the power reserve it should. He also helped me buy and swap out a Quartz ETA 251.272 movement once for me and fixed a crown issue I had on an Ana-Digi piece. If you don't have Facebook, I can PM you his email.

He has a quick turn around too. He got my watch yesterday and will ship back Monday. Always finishes the job well within a week.
Write It Off To Experience and Go Find A Nice Seiko, Citizen, or Bulova that catches your eye.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Thanks for the info - I hate to put any more money into the Invictas since I figure the movement would probably cost about as much as the watch. My watch guy suggested sending them back to Invicta but since that would cost about $60 or so just for the postage to and back and then whatever they would charge to just look at them, since all are no longer under the warranty - just doesn't seem worth it.

I will stick with my Citizen watches since they keep better time anyway !!
Definitely stick with your Citizens I have seven in my rotation at the moment outstanding pieces.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using Tapatalk.

Reactions: arogle1stus

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Freeks:
This will hardly come as earth shattering news to most of you.
After a series of events, shall I call em? With the lil company in
Bollywood, Fla., I had one o those "Come to Jesus moments" which
said to me: "Switch to Micro Brands" an the big boys. Seiko, Citizen
etal. Go and sin no more!

I've finally flipped all the ...... watches, cept 2. Fool me once? Your
fault. Fool me twice (or more) MY FAULT.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
34 Posts
"Write It Off To Experience and Go Find A Nice Seiko, Citizen, or Bulova that catches your eye."

I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Fellow Freeks:
It may look as tho I have my stinger out for Invicta.
That isn't the case. I was a huge fan in the early 2000's.
Nothing whatsoever wrong with their automatic divers,
Especially their model 9937 or 8926 (and it's variables).

Where I made my mistake was stocking up on oversized
quartz models. Thru luck or divine providence, I have
winnowed down my quartz models to two watches. Which
I have no hard feelings about.

The 2 sources for movements can provide you a replacement
movement. Good luck on your decision.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Yeah, invictas are generally unreliable. At least with my experiences

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
What model did you own that made you become disappointed with the brand? I only know of the very early Submariner tribute models.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts