Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

An earlier post is the catalyst for this inquiry.

It seems that many long time Invicta enthusiasts have a different stand or opinion than when they first started collecting/buying.

I for one still dig Invicta but have what I think is a very realistic perspective on the products and company. Originally I was "gung ho" like most but found as time went on it became increasingly more difficult to overlook what I would call their shortcomings.
Yes their are plenty that are still in the height of their relationship with Invicta and who can blame them; many of us were there at one time. Many of us have and will continue to evolve with our collecting (and not to say for better or for worse) nevertheless, evolving. Invicta in my opinion also continues to evolve but for me, in the wrong direction. They appear to have developed a business model that supports the "high volume, high profit" mentality. Unfortunately with that came lower quality, mediocre to poor service and a general lack of detail. They are what they are regardless of the endless debates that take place.
That does not mean that they do not make innovative, quality products...there are still plenty of models to choose from.
In the end my feelings are that I will be less and less inclined to partake in Invicta as they continue to evolve in their current direction.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

My Invicta stand is very simple and I have recently come to this decision. While I REALLY like many of my Invicta watches - I will only keep about 6-8 of them in the end. Of those 6-8 only about 3 are completely 100% safe from sale or trade (SAS, Scuba, SAN III).

I think that there are just so so so many models that I have now narrowed down which ones I like and don't like in very clear camps.

I will definitely keep a few of them because I honestly think they are really nice watches, but I dont see purchasing anything new in the near future from this one brand.

I would like to add also that I could care less about the marketing and promotion, or shobnbc, or their business model (which I really honestly have no idea about) and all the other stuff. If I like the watch...I like the watch.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Well, since you asked, I will never buy another Invicta again. I'm also selling off all mine right now. They do seem to have gone to a high volume, low cost model too. It seems that their new stuff has more and more shortcuts. I don't want a Flame Fusion crystal or another G10 movement. Also their quality leaves alot to be desired and their customer service is non existant. I want a watch that has excellent quality, a company to be there to back the watch up, a company with excellent customer service, history with the company and a watch with a certain cache! You don't get any of that with Invicta. These are but a few reasons why I won't buy another Invicta. I don't look down on anyone who likes them or one that continues to buy them. I have just chosen go move on in my collecting and I'm at a new phase in my collecting career!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

I Like Invicta watches but not for me anymore...All of my Invicta watches are going up for sale except for my SANIII and my Ceramic and Tungsten. Everything else is going along with another brand. Invicta watches look awesome but I just don't like what happens to the value of the watch after it is purchased. It just upsets me to think i paid a certain price and then a little while later its half....hurts my pride i guess...I will always say I don't buy watches on resale value but I don't like that the value drops so much either so I rather stick to the higher end watches. This is just my opinion and don't want to insult anyone who owns Invicta. To each their own and I will never insult the brand either because they do make great looking watches. I rather buy one higher end watch that will hold value then 20 watches that will not hold value at all...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

ericf4 wrote:
DONE,,,,,,Selling off whats left except my SAN 3 7750
CONGRATS to you! What are you going to do with the extra cash? You going to buy a new watch Eric?

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I'm also done with Invicta and for all the aforementioned reasons stated in this thread. I currently own 13 Invictas. I have been very selective in the ones I purchased so I'm happy with the 13 I own and I will probably hang on to them.

I have been buying other brands lately. My most recent purchase was a Citizen Eco-Drive which is on it's way here. I already own several high end pieces so I'm really content right now in the watch department.

In the future I would like to purchase a Tudor Hydro 1200 and maybe the new NFW Viperfish depending on the final outcome of this piece, but for now I just enjoy sharing the passion with others as they purchase their timepieces.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I'll address this point ONLY as it is THE point that defines my position on this

Direction - it used to be if you wanted a nice Automatic Watch with style and reliability and an excellent Movement (Miyota) all you had to do was look at SHOPNBC & INVICTA

you had Pro-Divers, Grand Divers, Ocean Ghosts etc

now they make IMO cheap looking PD's and have pretty much abandoned all other automatic watches

they also made some really nice Quartz pieces- such as the Speedway, Grand speedway, Lefty, Corduba etc

now they prefer to sell you VENOMS and EXCURSIONS etc all at HIGH END prices

WHERE DID THE VALUE GO???

back when they made "good stuff" they didnt need a CS dept NOW forget about it

IMO i'd rather seek out slightly higher priced reputable watches than dish out any more money on INVICTA -like Brian has said -when you turn around and try to sell one -you will be GREATLY dissappointed

Seattle wrote:

Invicta in my opinion also continues to evolve but for me, in the wrong direction. They appear to have developed a business model that supports the "high volume, high profit" mentality. Unfortunately with that came lower quality, mediocre to poor service and a general lack of detail. They are what they are regardless of the endless debates that take place.
That does not mean that they do not make innovative, quality products...there are still plenty of models to choose from.
In the end my feelings are that I will be less and less inclined to partake in Invicta as they continue to evolve in their current direction.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

heres my view on the subject..........i was on the Invicta bandwagon for years............since 2000..........i bought many, many, many watches from them, and i loved them......within the past two years........the quality level has gone down, the quality control has gone down, and they are more about quantity vs quality......people say i dont care about the marketing ploys used........well, how do you know what your buying, if you are being mislead..........your damn right, i have a bitter taste in my mouth for Invicta......they do not care about there customers, they do not care about builiding a quality watch, they care about making as many watches and models as they can and selling to the masses. Invicta is not in the buisness of making watches, they are in the business of making money.......plain and simple........i can no longer buy a watch, where i dont know where my money is going or for what......so many screw ups, lies and coverups........its a sapphire crystal, stated 10 times......oh, nope, its mineral......, its the 50th year anniversary of the russian diver....nope , wait, we listed it as 60 years on all of our casebacks, etc, etc, etc.......these problems happen because Invicta outsources their designs to be made by many different factories, and they do not have the man power to back up the quality control, they make way to many watches to keep track of everything, and that is where the quality control falls apart, and then when you do get a bad item, it is bull what you have to go thru to get it repaired, or to even get the attention of someone to get it repaired.......im sick of hearing the excuse of , well i have 100 invictas and dont have an issue.....well good, but that doesnt discount all the other people that do have issues......invicta produces more watches than probably any other company, but with that , they pay a price, because they just keep pumping them out without regard........the next 2 months alone, they have a sas on rubber , a san111 ani digi, a san111 kit, a san111 metal and rubber integration,a new version of the russian diver, and many others, all just differnt versions of previous watches, all being slapped together with new colors and cheaper isa movts................they just continue to mass produce and pump out watches left and right,..........they are a marketing company, that produces watches, like they are flavors of bubble gum..............i cannot spend and will not spend my money on another Invicta........anyone who does......if you enjoy it, that is great, because you should and dont let anyone sway you from what you enjoy...........i have spent too much of my money on a company, that could care less about their product, and i am done with them for good.............guess that about sums it up for me.........

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

Over the last several months, I have become increasingly disenchanted with the nonsense that's been happening with the presentations and then the ensuing apologies for the errors that were made on air. I've listed them before and Don mentioned some, so I don't need to rehash, but having written that, I will continue to buy the ones that I like because they make some killer designs that I happen to love. I've been fortunate to have only a couple of defects with all of the Invictas that I have purchased over the last 22 months, so I'm not necessarily concerned about the build quality for the price that I'm paying, it's the "other" stuff that has been mentioned before. I don't have much need for the presentations on television, other than to get a live look at a piece that I'm interested in. I'm not going to be "sold" anything. I like what they put out and I buy what I like.
BTW, I'm getting that F'n Oris! Lol.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
heres my view on the subject..........i was on the Invicta bandwagon for years............since 2000..........i bought many, many, many watches from them, and i loved them......within the past two years........the quality level has gone down, the quality control has gone down, and they are more about quantity vs quality......people say i dont care about the marketing ploys used........well, how do you know what your buying, if you are being mislead..........your damn right, i have a bitter taste in my mouth for Invicta......they do not care about there customers, they do not care about builiding a quality watch, they care about making as many watches and models as they can and selling to the masses. Invicta is not in the buisness of making watches, they are in the business of making money.......plain and simple........i can no longer buy a watch, where i dont know where my money is going or for what......so many screw ups, lies and coverups........its a sapphire crystal, stated 10 times......oh, nope, its mineral......, its the 50th year anniversary of the russian diver....nope , wait, we listed it as 60 years on all of our casebacks, etc, etc, etc.......these problems happen because Invicta outsources their designs to be made by many different factories, and they do not have the man power to back up the quality control, they make way to many watches to keep track of everything, and that is where the quality control falls apart, and then when you do get a bad item, it is bull what you have to go thru to get it repaired, or to even get the attention of someone to get it repaired.......im sick of hearing the excuse of , well i have 100 invictas and dont have an issue.....well good, but that doesnt discount all the other people that do have issues......invicta produces more watches than probably any other company, but with that , they pay a price, because they just keep pumping them out without regard........the next 2 months alone, they have a sas on rubber , a san111 ani digi, a san111 kit, a san111 metal and rubber integration, a new version of the russian diver, and many others, all just differnt versions of previous watches, all being slapped together with new colors and cheaper isa movts................they just continue to mass produce and pump out watches left and right,..........they are a  marketing company, that produces watches, like they are flavors of bubble gum..............i cannot spend and will not spend my money on another Invicta........anyone who does......if you enjoy it, that is great, because you should and dont let anyone sway you from what you enjoy...........i have spent too much of my money on a company, that could care less about their product, and i am done with them for good.............guess that about sums it up for me.........

YEAH WHAT HE SAID...

·
Registered
512 Posts
imported post

I own 9 or 10 different brands including Invicta. The amount of Invictas is the highest of all of the watches. Some of the new models I like, but I have found so many other brands that I like as much if not better.

I think Invicta is a great brand to pick up multiple styles (some resembling other higher-priced brands, some original designs) without breaking the bank. Now, I have sold MANY of my Invictas to fund other watches, some newer Invictas some other brands. I have had a few issues with some of my Invictas but have not had to deal with some of the horror stories of C/S that I have read. I worked with Rebecca a while ago on a problem with a COSC Admiral that came without the certificate and then the movement froze up. She went out of her way dealing with ShopNBC to let me return it outside the 30-day period. I think because of all the contact we had, I might be familiar to her and when I need some help she is very helpful.

I think like anything else, people's taste changes. It could be the direction of the company or how its perceived, it could be wanting to expand their horizons, and I think it is just as good a thing as remaining loyal to a brand. It makes us more interesting. If we all liked and bought the same thing, these forums would be pretty boring, well except for Duchess' "though-provoking" threads. (Yes, I am referring to the Office Visit one) :cool:

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
heres my view on the subject..........i was on the Invicta bandwagon for years............since 2000..........i bought many, many, many watches from them, and i loved them......within the past two years........the quality level has gone down, the quality control has gone down, and they are more about quantity vs quality......people say i dont care about the marketing ploys used........well, how do you know what your buying, if you are being mislead..........your damn right, i have a bitter taste in my mouth for Invicta......they do not care about there customers, they do not care about builiding a quality watch, they care about making as many watches and models as they can and selling to the masses. Invicta is not in the buisness of making watches, they are in the business of making money.......plain and simple........i can no longer buy a watch, where i dont know where my money is going or for what......so many screw ups, lies and coverups........its a sapphire crystal, stated 10 times......oh, nope, its mineral......, its the 50th year anniversary of the russian diver....nope , wait, we listed it as 60 years on all of our casebacks, etc, etc, etc.......these problems happen because Invicta outsources their designs to be made by many different factories, and they do not have the man power to back up the quality control, they make way to many watches to keep track of everything, and that is where the quality control falls apart, and then when you do get a bad item, it is bull what you have to go thru to get it repaired, or to even get the attention of someone to get it repaired.......im sick of hearing the excuse of , well i have 100 invictas and dont have an issue.....well good, but that doesnt discount all the other people that do have issues......invicta produces more watches than probably any other company, but with that , they pay a price, because they just keep pumping them out without regard........the next 2 months alone, they have a sas on rubber , a san111 ani digi, a san111 kit, a san111 metal and rubber integration,a new version of the russian diver, and many others, all just differnt versions of previous watches, all being slapped together with new colors and cheaper isa movts................they just continue to mass produce and pump out watches left and right,..........they are a marketing company, that produces watches, like they are flavors of bubble gum..............i cannot spend and will not spend my money on another Invicta........anyone who does......if you enjoy it, that is great, because you should and dont let anyone sway you from what you enjoy...........i have spent too much of my money on a company, that could care less about their product, and i am done with them for good.............guess that about sums it up for me.........
You hit the nail on the head Don. Those are my sentiments exactly. I could add some more reasons about how ShopNBC has discouraged my interest in these watches but that's for another thread.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Isn't it funny how going through a disenchantment can seem to ruin your ideals of what quality was?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

I will give Invicta props in the sense that they afford alot of people the chance to get into collecting and get some seriously cool watches...for sure///// Its the back end stuff i dont like...

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

ericf4 wrote:
I will give Invicta props in the sense that they afford alot of people the chance to get into collecting and get some seriously cool watches...for sure///// Its the back end stuff i dont like...
exactly.........

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
exactly.........
I would have to third that Eric.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
This says a lot of how I feel as well.

However, I'm not done picking up a few pieces from Invicta. I still like the SAIII line and the OGII line. There are a few models (older models that have already been produced) that I'd like to pick up.

I have kept the 6 Invicta timepieces that I want, the rest are sold. There are 3-4 more that I would eventually like to pick up (SAIII COSC, Swiss OG II Auto and/or Meteorite dial, COSC Speedway w/2894).

I opened my ShopNBC account in 2001 and bought a number of Invicta watches without problems until 2008. My experiences with Invicta in 2009 are mixed at best. I just got fed up with the hype and the standard "I have xxx Invicta watches with no problems." . . . as if this make the POS (broken watches) in my hands spontaneously become functional. :whatever:

I don't want to bash Invicta or ShopNBC, but they have made it difficult for me to buy their products much anymore. I was a faithful "servant" for 7 years before this crap in 2009. The quality has diminished in a number of ways. I really wish they'd give back the S. Coifman factory so at least those guys could resume making the fine timepieces they used to. :)

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I agree as well!

ericf4 wrote:

1 - 20 of 96 Posts