Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First I will say, this is the USA and everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and apparently Invicta has not answered this suit yet.
Anyone who has watched the Shop and watched the Invicta showings knows about the yellow watch kits they are selling, and also the yellow storage watch boxes. These are yellow plastic and have locks on them and are waterproof. Well it appears that Eyal asked a company named Plasticase in Florida for samples of their boxes and inquired about custom made boxes for watches. Plasticase sent the samples to Invicta, and hears nothing back on an order of cases for the purpose inquired about. But....the yellow boxes show up on ShopNBC as kits and storage cases and are seen by Plasticase. Their boxes, only they did not make them for Invicta. Not good.
:madd
So....if the allegations in the lawsuit that has been filed in Florida federal court are true, Invicta, Eyal, sent the boxes to China and had them reproduced at a cheaper price no doubt, violating the patent rights of Plasticase. It only gets deeper at Invicta.
Here is a link to a pdf of the actual federal court filing in case anyone wonders if this is authentic.

http://kwimberly.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/plasticase-complaint.pdf

You can also Google:
Plasticase, Inc. v. Invicta Watch Company of America, Inc.

for other links and news reports about this.

If this has already been posted sorry for the redundancy, I have not had time to read all posts in my 2nd day here.

***I see in a reply in another post this has been addressed here

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

The boxes have been talked aboutas copies, I can brlieve anything about Invicta they have there foot in there mouth all the time.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I have seen this case mentioned and I guess we will see how it plays out. But as we can guess and as happened many many times in business - someone will pay someone else and then just move on.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I'm sure Eyal "made out" on his watch cases. I can only assume that whatever $$$ he made from the sale of thes cases far outweights what he'll "pony up" at the time of settlement.

Nothing coming out of the Invicta camp surprises me anymore.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

Well I for one, had no idea that yet another issue that I was not aware of has evolved pertaining to and involving "The Outlaw" (new name for Eyal). There are those that "the more they step in sh**, the more it stinks." Then there are those that step in it and it turns to gold. Me thinks that the latter pertains to "The Outlaw". Gold, gold and more gold. :lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
imported post

I believe someone here or on another forum said Invicta's defense may be that they can't be faulted for copying a copy, i.e., that Plasticase's boxes themselves are copies of someone else's designs. Even if Invicta were to prevail legally with this strategy, this, along with the many other scandals of late involving the big 'I', speaks volumes about their integrity.

Generally when these issues arise Invicta's defense is that they are not doing anything that the industry as a whole is not doing. Even if it is true the entire industry is waging a race to the bottom, Invicta isway out in front.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Really they need to get over it with this box thing - cause this sort of stuff happens all the time

there are soooo many of these types of boxes out in the market - who knows how many different companies make this sort of box for varying different price points & purposes

i find it humorous that THIS is the ISSUE they are being sued for rather than other infractions implied to have been done by Invicta

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
imported post

they deserve every suit they get, I would love to see a class action suit brought against them for being stupid...is that a leal grounds to sue? I wish it were!

·
Registered
493 Posts
imported post

Alot of this type of box but not the exact same copy.

And, the process by which Invicta "allegedly" took the realbox and had it copied by his manufacturer smells of bad business.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Here is my fair and balanced response, IMHO.

1) If they violated a patent then the courts will take appropriate actions against them.

2) The laws are murky. Viacom sued Google/YouTube for copyright infringement and the judge threw it out after reviewing summary judgment. The best I can understand is because the laws are so murky on these topic. Also, I work in an industry were there are a handful of new products developed each year and hundreds of reverse engineered knockoff that quickly follow into the market.

3) Sometimes companies take a risk/reward approach. They get something, anything, to market and, if their estimates are correct, make enough money to cover any potential law suits or regulatory fines before they get a cease and desist order.

Folks, this is business in the year 2010. Love it or hate it, it is the way things are done from Wall Street to Main Street.

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

Just sucks and would be nice to see invicta stuck with a huge fine, an amount that will make them stop and realize you just cant keep walking all over the smaller companies and customers! At this point old EL thinks he can do whatever he likes and pay a fine or settle out of court and go on to the next disaster! He should have just bought the damn cases from the guy nice enough to send him a sample! He sure knew where to go in china to make a copy of the case, wonder how many other places in country make his watches for him?

·
Registered
96 Posts
imported post

i also saw the court documents and it is true but invicta is gonna get away with it just because invicta modified these cases so they are not 100% the same so it won't stand..

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts