Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a rather simple question here......

If Invicta is actually manufacturing "Swiss made" watches in the Far East, why hasn't the Swiss watch federation pursued them legally?

How are they able to outright lie and continue to do so?

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts

If Invicta is actually manufacturing "Swiss made" watches in the Far East, why hasn't the Swiss watch federation pursued them legally?

I don't believe they do.
I think they probably have all machining etc done in Asia and assembly in Switzerland, along with swiss movement to be swiss made.

The amount of watches Invicta produces, I can not imagine that the swiss federation would not go after them if they were skirting the guidelines.

I think most confuse this with the fact that to my knowledge invicta does not have their own factory but contracts out to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the thought is, they actually meet the guidelines, but do so minimally?

Luminox and a few others contract out assembly as well, so they are in that class of watch? Does Zodiac/Fossil contract out?

Just trying to get my bearings.....

I bought a pro diver valjoux 7750, and am happy with it, but was curious as to how I should see the value I paid.... $615.

·
Registered
319 Posts

This is a misconception brought on by Invicta's own advertising campaigns. The truth lies in the watches themselves which are accurately labelled.

On the dial or case back you usually get the answer.

Japan movement
Swiss movement
Swiss made
Swiss parts

and so forth. All of these carry different meaning.

You can be sure that the watches labeled "Swiss Made" are meet Federation requirements. The other labels do not.

Value on the other hand is a little trickier and depends on condition. $615 unless new might be on the high side based on the very brief description of "Invicta pro diver valjoux 7750" but still on the side of being reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
So the thought is, they actually meet the guidelines, but do so minimally?

Luminox and a few others contract out assembly as well, so they are in that class of watch? Does Zodiac/Fossil contract out?

Just trying to get my bearings.....

I bought a pro diver valjoux 7750, and am happy with it, but was curious as to how I should see the value I paid.... $615.

Well, considering Ofrei sell new Valjoux 7750 movements for around $450, the price you paid is not unreasonable.
As long as you like it is the important thing.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
It's a game of percentages.
We probably would be surprised about how much this is done with a lot of manufacturers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the feedback. I usually only buy Invicta's that say swiss made on the back and usually at the 6 o'clock, and usually automatics.... I think they are pretty clear about what the movement is and I haven't had any build issues as of yet.

It was new at $615, so I thought it was pretty decent. It supposedly has super luminova as well.... I just dont like the idea of flame fusion crystal. I dont know why they dont just use sapphire. Shinola can do it in the same price range... WTF?

Thanks gang.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Shinola can do it in the same price range... WTF?

Thanks gang.
But with a quartz not a Valjoux 7750. Big difference there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
According to the new Swiss guidelines 60% of a watch has to made and assembled in Switzerland. It seems like the consciences here is that Invicta watches that say Swiss Made are made in Switzerland. I really hope that's true. I would hate to think as per this post that they are totally made in china. Anyone who has credible information that Invicta makes Swiss Made watches in china, I wish they would post it. I would like to know. I know that Invictas prices for Swiss Made watches are mostly very reasonable. I would hate to hear they are able to do so because their made in some oriental country.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
According to the new Swiss guidelines 60% of a watch has to made and assembled in Switzerland. It seems like the consciences here is that Invicta watches that say Swiss Made are made in Switzerland. I really hope that's true. I would hate to think as per this post that they are totally made in china. Anyone who has credible information that Invicta makes Swiss Made watches in china, I wish they would post it. I would like to know. I know that Invictas prices for Swiss Made watches are mostly very reasonable. I would hate to hear they are able to do so because their made in some oriental country.
Not yet.

Beginning January 1, 2017, a watch can be designated Swiss made only if the the total value of the watch is at least 60 percent Swiss made. In addition, technical development, such as design and prototyping, must happen inside Switzerland.

The current requirement calls for a watch to be 50 percent Swiss made, come equipped with a Swiss movement, and be assembled and inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland. The new requirements strengthen the existing criteria and move well beyond the watch's movement; the new rules affect the entire watch, including cases, bracelets, hands, covers, and dials.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not yet.

assembled and inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland.
IMHO it doesn't matter how many parts are actually made in Switzerland. Being assembled and inspected by a manufacturer in Switzerland is the most important part of being Swiss Made. "Swiss Made" is basically a quality control stamp. China made items such as Apple products are world class when thoroughly vetted.

These new requirements for 2017 is more of an economic stimulus for Switzerland than anything else. 2 Years in the future to give them enough time to build the factories and train the workers.

Switzerland is just big on certifications.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
IMHO it doesn't matter how many parts are actually made in Switzerland. Being assembled and inspected by a manufacturer in Switzerland is the most important part of being Swiss Made. "Swiss Made" is basically a quality control stamp. China made items such as Apple products are world class when thoroughly vetted.

These new requirements for 2017 is more of an economic stimulus for Switzerland than anything else. 2 Years in the future to give them enough time to build the factories and train the workers.

Switzerland is just big on certifications.
I'm just clarifying something for the other poster. :rolleyes2:

·
11,577 Posts
Photo taken at an undisclosed location in the foothills near the Swiss Alps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Long Time Member
651 Posts
The standard is "the value" and final assembly. The obvious value is the cost of labor in the land of cheese is far more than in asia and final assembly and inspection is a load of garbage. Put hands on (some inflicta models lack hands) and put a tag on the case, done.

I opened a couple of "swiss Made" watches from Inflicta that had Asian movements in them and had photos taken of it which were posted on line. Between fake sandstone dials, fake diamonds, dubious claims about meteorite dials and more as well as claims made about the value of watches "donated to troops". IMHO, anything inflicta says or states is a lie.

Lalo himself at the former sponsored site told his members how he did it, comparing a Mercedes with his watches.

Smoke and mirrors.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I wasn't trying to contradict you. I was just offering my own opinion based on facts you gave.

Sorry if this was unclear. I was quoting part of your post to link the opinion to it.
No problem, it was early here :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Didn't know the new Swiss guidelines take effect in 2017. Also thanks for spelling out the specifics of the old and new Swiss guidelines. I'm upset to read the above post that an Invicta collector found an Asian made movement in her Swiss Made Invicta watch. From now on when I have to replace a battery I will have the jeweler verify that the movement in my Swiss Made Invicta is actually a Swiss Made movement. I generally like Invicta. No problems 3 years 41 watches over half Swiss Made. I have a lot of money Invested in these watches. If I find one Asian movement in one of my Swiss Made Invicta watches that will be the end of my ever dealing with Invicta and I would publicizes it on this forum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts