·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello WatchFreeks!

W recently launched our watch brand on Kickstarter:

Link Removed (Read Forum Rules)

About us

Draken is a new watch company based in Auckland, New Zealand, and founded by myself - Michael Blythe.

Inspired by the spirit of the Drakensberg - a mountain range of South Africa (yes, I am South African), Draken Watches aims to bring a unique dimension to watch design. The objective was to create a tough, dependable outdoors watch with a strong focus on design. It was also important that a unique identity and style developed to build on for future watches.

Its taken over a year to bring the debute watch to life - the Tugela. After 2 prototype stages its now available on Kickstarter:

Link removed

About the watch

The custom made case of the Tugela is aggressive looking with a bead blasted stainless steel case and beveled edges. The 120 click bezel comes in 3 colours - black, red and blue - with a lumed pip at the zero mark.

The Dial utilises Swiss C3 luminous paint and the date window is matched to the matt dial with the unique feature of having luminous numbers. Protecting the display is a sapphire crystal glass, with anti-reflective coating applied on the inside.

The Tugela comes standard with an genuine leather strap with quick release pins, plus a secondary matching nylon Zulu strap for more extreme activities.

Under the hood is the always reliable Seiko NH35A automatic movement.

Dimensions are as follows:

Lug to lug: 48.5mm

Lugs: 22mm

Thickness: 14mm

Diameter: 42mm

Crown diameter: 7mm

Please feel free to ask any questions about the watch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
a LOT of different shapes and sizes on the dial ....

Reactions: mikeblythe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm really liking this piece as well. Any plans to make a 45mm? Also, what's the WR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Version 2 of the Tugela will be a bit bigger probably 44mm. 300m water resistant.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
What other strap options would you like to see? What specifically dont you like about the current strap choices?
For the NATO's, I would have chosen a solid colored strap. Black, admiralty grey, OD Green or Tan. That would match much easier with apparel and probably be received better by folks. You could even try a seatbelt style for a little more refinement.

On the leather, I would suggest different colors/shades, depending on the dial/bezel color. I would lean towards a darker shade, if one color is used.

In addition, I would use a stitchless style for the lug ends. The minimal stitch used is sort of distracting.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
For the NATO's, I would have chosen a solid colored strap. Black, admiralty grey, OD Green or Tan. That would match much easier with apparel and probably be received better by folks. You could even try a seatbelt style for a little more refinement.

On the leather, I would suggest different colors/shades, depending on the dial/bezel color. I would lean towards a darker shade, if one color is used.

In addition, I would use a stitchless style for the lug ends. The minimal stitch used is sort of distracting.
A rubber strap option would be great too. A BC flat strap or Hirsch Pure style would work nicely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks. Yeah, I did get matching solid color natos but they looked a bit cheap. The olive green went well with the black.

Someone suggested a dark brown leather strap. I could look into that as an option.

·
5,986 Posts
Ziet er goed uit. I like the finish and would go for black dial and bezel. I understand that in an ocean of micro brand dive watches there's the need to be different. But all the different markers on the dial takes a bit away from the sober simplicity I want in a dive watch. But take no notice of me, I'm just a one trick (watch) pony :D

Reactions: mikeblythe

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I did get matching solid color natos but they looked a bit cheap. The olive green went well with the black.

Someone suggested a dark brown leather strap. I could look into that as an option.

Those are Zulu straps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts