Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll sneak this one in. Coming Friday we will leave for a three weeks vacation to Indonesia. Her doctor said it's okay, her treatment will be scheduled 5 days later. We have not been able to go on vacation for 1.5 years and are really looking forward to it. Jakarta, Yogkakarta, Malang, Bandung and the lovely Bali are on the menu. We'll go with the flow, only the first hotels and inland flights are booked. Mrs. Hens speaks the language and when she goes into a hotel lobby to book a room I'll stay out of sight :D. This will cut down the rate. But when they see the 'Belanda' (Dutchman), enter the lobby, they sometimes don't look happy because of the money lost :D. Easy prey we are not.

So if I drop off the grid for three weeks, y'all know why. Just a few days left to wrap up some work and arrange for a project to be taken over and we're off. I'll take pictures and do some watch hunting, I promise :D

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Hope you enjoy it Frans!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GoodWatch

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hope you enjoy it Frans!!

We will my friend, we will! Not thrilled about the long flight but once we get there that's forgotten. Our first hotel is in Jakarta, opposite of Museum Indonesia, a must see. We went there before but didn't have enough time, now we will do it properly. Time is of no concern.

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
That's fantastic, Frans! Congratulations! We know you've been waiting on this for a long time! Soak in the sites, save no time for regrets, and be present every moment with that Lady of yours while your there! We'll look forward to your return!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Fantastic Frans.

Cherish every minute of it(I know you will).
I'll be anticipating some great stories and fantastic photos.

All the best and Godspeed.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sounds like a fantastic adventure for you and your wife!

Your comments remind me of traveling in Italy with my wife. She is a native of Napoli, but she does not look southern Italian at all. Her dad was German, so she is tall and thin with a fair complexion, clearly taking after her dad's side.

Especially when I'm with her in a shop or restaurant, we look like typical American tourists. It has happened more than once that locals would make a comment about us, not realizing she is one of them. And she's NOT afraid to look them in the eye and reply with some very expressive Italian! It's fun to sit back and watch it all go down :)

Looking forward to amazing photos!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Make the best of it and have a good flight. I spent a few weeks there in Jakarta, Surabaya, Bali, Kardiri and Borjunogoro.

Amazing country, great food and wonderful people. Enjoy !

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Frans:
Enjoy the trip.
Do you think the trip might offer any good watch purchase possibilities?
Lower pressure watch market? Currency rates of exchange advantages?

I'd be pounding the bricks in Indonesia seeking possibilities and opportunities.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frans:
Enjoy the trip.
Do you think the trip might offer any good watch purchase possibilities?
Lower pressure watch market? Currency rates of exchange advantages?

I'd be pounding the bricks in Indonesia seeking possibilities and opportunities.

Lou Snutt
The larger and more up scale malls have luxurious watch shops that carry a wide array of the usual suspects: IWC, Patek, Rolex, Montblanc, Omega, etc. Then you have the brand shops: Casio, Seiko and Citizen. And there are the smaller, counter like, displays that carry 'Swiss' brands made in China. Like Swiss Expedition. A lot of watch for your money if you're into that. And last... the seedy part of watch land with many, ehhhh, 'replicas'.

Only the watches in the brand shops are less expensive compared to Europe and carry a larger selection.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are back, finally I must add. Whilst the away flight was a 13.5 hours direct connection, the return flight was not. First leg 1.5 hours Jakarta - Singapore, where we had to leave the aircraft. Only to take one corner with all our cabin luggage and go through all the security procedures again. Passport, boarding pass and full luggage and body scan. To wind up at almost the same place where we had to wait for our connecting flight which had over an hours delay. I'm grateful for tight security but before we could board the aircraft in Jakarta we already had gone through three of the same routines as described above, the last one about 50 meters from the boarding lounge.

Next leg: 12 hours to Amsterdam. I can never sleep during a flight, just dose. After we had landed we had to wait for almost an hour before our luggage showed up. And then our taxi driver called me that he had a breakdown. The fuel rail of his diesel engine came off and he was stranded on the ramp not 200 meters from where he was supposed to pick us up, waiting for a mechanic. I told him I was not happy with this and asked him what he was going to do. He called his boss who then called me. He wanted to explain what had mechanically gone wrong and that the repair was likely to be in the thousands of Euro but I interrupted him. I told him we had a rather disappointing flight that lasted almost 17 hours and that we really, really wanted to go home now. It took them 50 minutes to get a replacement taxi van and at 13.05 I put my key into to lock of our front door.

Anne's sound asleep now, after she called the family here and in Indonesia to tell we returned home safely, she unpacked all the gifts we took home, took a shower and went out cold :D

I will post some very nice photos and stories soon but now will just have another cold beer. Cheers!

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
There's no place like home Frans. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures

Reactions: GoodWatch

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Glad you're home safe and sound. I'm sure the cold beer went down nicely.

Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing your photos.

Welcome back!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts