Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On a complete impulsive flier I've just ordered a Tourby 42mm Pilot, manual wind, which should be hitting my desk in around 2 weeks.

I hadn't even heard or Tourby until a couple of days ago, but I was looking for something to replace my 46mm Hamilton Khaki Auto as I haven't been wearing it as I just find it too big for me. I know historically pilot watches are supposed to be very big, but I'm never going to wear it on top of my jacket and I just don't feel I can pull off 46mm.

The Tourby has the added bonus of having 22mm lugs which is perfect for me as almost all other 'small' pilot watches appear to have 20mm lugs or smaller. The only other exception I managed to find to this rule was the Prometheus Recon 5. (This is how I initially found Tourby, off the back of my post last week about Prometheus and Benarus).

I managed to totally upsell myself too as I knew I wasn't interested in a display back, and was totally happy with a sealed steel back. That being said I have ordered the decorated perlage version which I think looks fantastic!

Here's a couple of stock piccies from the website - I'll update with some real world and wrist shots when it arrives.

The one I ordered has the small seconds hand at 9 o'clock as opposed to 6 o'clock, but this pic shows off the strap I chose too.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Beautiful piece. Looking forward to your wrist shots

Reactions: Jams_123

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to add - Initial impressions of Tourby CS has been great. Very responsive to emails and requests, even out of hours. Really looking forward to seeing the thing in the flesh now!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Nice Pilot.. simple, clean .

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Beautiful, love them Tourby pilots

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got a message from the office that Fedex have dropped something off for me. Not bad going, next day delivery from Germany to the UK.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it later this afternoon.

Will try and post some real piccies and initial thoughts when I get a few minutes.

J

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checking in quickly with a wrist shot. First impressions are brilliant! The build quality and finish is superb and the original flieger style strap is a nice touch. It's a pretty chunky strap so I'll have to see how I get on with it. Tourby were kind enough to send me a spare regular strap gratis, so I can switch it out if I need to.

I'll take some decent piccies and post them up when I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Morning guys -

Just a quick update on the Tourby after a couple of weeks of wrist time:

I'm still blown away but the overall quality of the watch, and it's only lost around 35 seconds since I first wound it 2.5 weeks ago. Unfortunately I've not been able to get on with the straps at all though. Whilst the 'original' flieger strap looks great, it's just too thick and chunky (4 x strips of leather thick on the underside), certainly to wear at a desk job.

I swapped it for the free 2 piece leather strap but it's really hard and stiff (and dare I say cheap) so it's just not comfortable to me either.

Bottom line, I checked the straps forum on WF and stumbled across a guy called Peter at Gunny Straps and he's working on a nice soft leather vintage pilot style 2 piece that should be with me in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Sweet Tourby. Gunny straps are top quality, I'm sure you'll like it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope so! It's my first ever 'custom' strap so I'm a little nervous, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Gunny Straps seem to get a lot of love on here.

J

·
Super Moderator
10,644 Posts
Really is fantastic Jams !!!! :smileyface_hand_cla Easy to tell from these pictures that Tourby makes a phenomenal watch. The great quality of the materials of both the watch with the case, and dial, but also movement are spectacular. It's like things are on a different level with it. ..Even the strap, or straps seem to be off the charts Jams. What a pick-up ! ..Congratulations !

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Congrats
Brand is really nice.

I just looked into the bay, whupped me silly ... $100,000 for a prototype. Others were up on price as well.
Seems to be getting more popular now
I plan to get one and have it on my list if I see the right one come up

A new strap will do wonders.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts