Watch Freeks banner

Incoming.....Dan Henry 1970!!

8K views 107 replies 10 participants last post by  rh747m 
#1 ·
Dan Henry 1970, black, 40mm with date. Can't wait!!!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

See less See more
#33 ·
Yes the DD sapphire - hard to capture in pics sometimes but very cool

Eric, did you shake and hand wind your DH's to get them going when you first received them? Did the NH35 keep good power with just wearing them on your wrist a number of hours each day? Just curious.

#11 ·
Thanks. I have a feeling I'll be wearing it a lot. It'll probably see a lot of wrist time like the mini Turtle did.

#10 ·
Good discussion! Thanks for weighing in guys! 40mm is the perfect size for me and the NH35 is pretty much bulletproof. I do like the screw down crown......just wish the crown that operates the bezel was also a screw down. The double domed crystal adds a nice touch to the watch. By the way Eric, those pictures are awesome! I think it's going to be a really nice addition to my collection. Can't arrive soon enough!

Reactions: enricosonic
#14 ·
Nice. What size do you prefer? Have you tried them on different straps?

#25 ·
I like them too. It was a tough choice for me between the black and the blue.

#20 ·
I don't know, man. Twin crown/super compressor designs aside, these two watches read completely different to me. The Alpina has a luxury/dressy feel, with that subtly sunburst, almost wine-colored dial and - I don't know...bronze case?

The DH feels like an early dive watch design. Clean but bold markers and colors, more tool-ish or something. They're more like $250 and up now. I will say my older orange model is often fetching on eBay several hundred more than it cost new. The value of that statement is affixed at zero though. :geek:

#21 ·
Thanks man, you do make alot of sense. The Alpina is actually stainless PVD Rose Gold. So, it will never patina. Definitely more on the dressy side. Very thin case.
I like the Henry alot. Much more color. Is that a boxed or a domed crystal ? Have to give it some thought. Also have my eye on several of the newer Seiko's from the Presage series. Ah yes, the sickness that never ends. Thanks for the info...

#26 ·
Boy oh boy Rob, does Dan Henry do a nice job?! Or what?! Seems like a
definite yes on that one. :) Really can see why you are so psyched about
this one ! 😮🤯It takes an already ultra cool watch, and makes it even a
little meaner.

Plus actually harkens back to those nice black plated watches of the late
60's, early 70's. All without giving you that ridiculously high price tag one
of those watches might have. Or any super compressor style watch from
the time. HUGE congrats !!! ...It's going to be terrific !

#28 ·
Thanks Tom! I think it's going to be the perfect watch for my active lifestyle.

#31 ·
Ok... Finally got over to the DH site. Can anybody explain what a sapphire coated mineral crystal is ? Never seen one of those
I can't really - I researched it a bit back when I bought my first DH. Got a bunch of conflicting info and how Seiko tried it way back when... I will say unless it delaminated or something (I don't even know if that's a possibility) - it looks like regular old sapphire and I've yet to scratch either crystal. I'm only guessing the technique has come a long way since Seiko tried then moved on.

#41 ·
That's getting chilly. Nice fall colors but still in the 70's here in the NC mountains. I need to get the motorcycle out and go for a ride on the BR Parkway.

#42 ·
Dan Henry, meh............ ;)

#67 ·
Quick update on my 1970:

I've returned the watch to the DH service center in NY and am waiting for them to inspect it and then authorize the shipment of a new watch to me. Unfortunately their service center team is overloaded and the inspection/exchange process is taking longer than expected. Hope to have this resolved and a new 1970 on my wrist very soon. The waiting really sucks.....:(

This post has been deleted
#69 ·
#70 ·
Well, DH service center has had the defective watch I returned for more than a week now and have not shipped out a new one to me yet. I've reached out to Dan today in the hopes of getting this resolved soon. The waiting is getting really old. :(

#72 ·
The CS experience hasn't been what I thought it would be unfortunately. Now that I've reached out to Dan again, things are starting to move. I'll post more detail later.

#74 · (Edited)
I sent Dan an email a few hours ago but he hasn't responded yet. One of his employees responded. Hope to hear back from Dan at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.