Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dan Henry 1970, black, 40mm with date. Can't wait!!!

Dan_Henry_1970_Automatic_Diver_Black_Date_Detail_Dial.jpeg

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you'll be pleased with that one. Hard to beat for the $.
Thanks Eric, I think I will too. It left NJ today......hope to have it by mid week.

Reactions: enricosonic

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Is that case PVD, DLC or just Black Ion ? Would somewhere around $220 be a good price for a no date version. Thinking about giving one of these a spin.🤪Thanks.
PVD. I think they're great for the money if you don't mind the NH35. My early 1970 didn't have a screw down crown but these later models do, BTW. But I'd think you'd probably want a 44m not a 40m case? - which is limited lately. Don't think they offer it in PVD or date-less. :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
I love my DH 44mm 1970 with date & orange chapter. My only orange accented watch and my only super compressor. Takes a beating, keeps reliable time and gotta love that double domed sapphire coated crystal. Great bang for buck. Enjoy!

·
Registered
188 Posts
You will probably be real happy with it. I was pleased that I wore mine more than I initially thought I would. It goes well with a variety of activities, it just fits in well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good discussion! Thanks for weighing in guys! 40mm is the perfect size for me and the NH35 is pretty much bulletproof. I do like the screw down crown......just wish the crown that operates the bezel was also a screw down. The double domed crystal adds a nice touch to the watch. By the way Eric, those pictures are awesome! I think it's going to be a really nice addition to my collection. Can't arrive soon enough!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You will probably be real happy with it. I was pleased that I wore mine more than I initially thought I would. It goes well with a variety of activities, it just fits in well.
Thanks. I have a feeling I'll be wearing it a lot. It'll probably see a lot of wrist time like the mini Turtle did.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was surprised (both times) at how quickly I received my DH watches. Nice packaging too.
So you have two 1970's. Are they both 44mm or do you have a 40mm?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice. What size do you prefer? Have you tried them on different straps?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Nice. What size do you prefer? Have you tried them on different straps?
At first I thought the 40mm was a tad small but that was probably due to my familiarity with the 44 (which I'd owned for 3 years prior). Now I lean toward the 40mm.

I've never tried a nato or a leather strap but my 40mm is on a Seiko dive strap and I think it looks pretty good -

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At first I thought the 40mm was a tad small but that was probably due to my familiarity with the 44 (which I'd owned for 3 years prior). Now I lean toward the 40mm.

I've never tried a nato or a leather strap but my 40mm is on a Seiko dive strap and I think it looks pretty good -

I agree.....it looks great!!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

40mm has become my go-to lately. 44-46 is max This is the watch pictured below. 40mm w/screw down crown #874 out of 1970. Worth $220 ? But something says to me, why should I buy it when I already have one of the watches below it ? What was the original price on these anyway ? Thanks fellas...:)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I don't know, man. Twin crown/super compressor designs aside, these two watches read completely different to me. The Alpina has a luxury/dressy feel, with that subtly sunburst, almost wine-colored dial and - I don't know...bronze case?

The DH feels like an early dive watch design. Clean but bold markers and colors, more tool-ish or something. They're more like $250 and up now. I will say my older orange model is often fetching on eBay several hundred more than it cost new. The value of that statement is affixed at zero though. :geek:

1 - 20 of 108 Posts