Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so yesterday I grab my titanium EcoZilla as I'm about to run out of the house for an errand.

The first thing I noticed was the time was wrong and then I noticed the date was wrong. I think that's weird because this thing never stops. Then I notice the second hand isn't moving either. I usually wear my EcoZilla on the weekend or on days off and it's probably been a couple of weeks since I've worn it, but these things go months without a light charge.

I figure no problem and I set it out in the sun while I run my errands. By the time I came home it was doing the 2-step (seconds hand jumping 2 seconds at a time). I brought it in at that point because it was clouding up and we got rain in the afternoon. I put it under a fluorescent "day spectrum" light that my wife has on her hobby table. I had it about 3 inches from the dial.

It's been there for 24 hrs now and it's still doing the 2-step. I'm thinking the capacitor is toast.

Any idea what I'm looking at for repairs? I seem to think I've seen somewhere that this is an expensive fix for the watch. Any other suggestions, mods, etc?

·
Registered
128 Posts
call citizen and see what they say. most have 5 yr warranty. also they can put you in touch with the closest repair shop. otherwise your on your own. keep us posted on what happens. I had a similar episode but 2 hrs in the sunlight and watch was running perfect again.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Try this, it worked for mine:

http://www.watchfreeks.com/54-citizen/82585-ecozilla-battery.html#post845745

When the capacitor loses charge, the movement goes into a power saving mode where it "stops", but still keeps time in the background. Then when it starts getting a charge again from a light source, it sets itself and continues with the low power indicator (2 second ticks). Reseting the time but pulling out the crown once or twice should fix it. I had the same issue on my Ecozilla after keeping it in my watch box over a winter.

Let us know if that helps.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My Citizens Eco-Drive stopped after being in too shady of a spot while on a vacation some time ago. It took several hours in good sunlight until it got back to normal.
I'm curious if Garrick's suggestion helps too. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ganson-- you da man! :smile-thumb2:

I pulled the crown and set the time and what do you know it's ticking away like normal. I'll have to watch it the next few days, but I think that may have just done the job.

Thanks for the response. That saved me some money shipping it off to Citizen.

When the capacitor loses charge, the movement goes into a power saving mode where it "stops", but still keeps time in the background. Then when it starts getting a charge again from a light source, it sets itself and continues with the low power indicator (2 second ticks). Reseting the time but pulling out the crown once or twice should fix it. I had the same issue on my Ecozilla after keeping it in my watch box over a winter.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

I pulled the crown and set the time and what do you know it's ticking away like normal. I'll have to watch it the next few days, but I think that may have just done the job.

Another example of why this forum and the people who populate it are just the BEST!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Glad to help, I was just as freaked out when it happened to mine and it took me about two weeks to find the answer!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

ZILLA RE-BOOT

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
What a great thread.....I had no idea about that trick with the crown and my Titanium Ecozilla went into that two-second jump for some time a while back.

Learn something new here all the time.....Thanks Ganson!! :)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

Like the Lone Ranger to the rescue (for watches). Way to go!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Glad you got it working. Great forum information.. the wonders of the web.

Reactions: Gary

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lol, nice, post a better pic of the face, nice looking from what I can see though

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Glad to say my EcoZilla has never done this drill.
I store mine by a window which catches good ole Texas Sol
at least 10 -hours a day in summer. Winter not so much.
Or when it rains, jf ever. Flooding in N E Texas this spring
and drouth in Aug/Sept.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fantastic thread. I used to have a Zilla but this thread makes me want to get another one.

The zilla, the most basic one is the only mineral-glassed watch I know of with an anti-reflective coating........not only that but a premium one that is better than any aftermarket one I know of.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Stewie:
Of course Ganson is "Da Man".
That's why he's the Moderator.
Wish I hadn't read you post.
Hope this isn't contagious for
E Z's.
Some fellers say the E Z is too
big and chunky. For my sized 8
1/2 wrist looks and feels great.