Watch Freeks banner

If you were gifted a watch that is not your liking, would you keep it with pride or get rid of it?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

We are curious and would like everyone's honest feedback.

If you were gifted a watch that is not your liking, would you keep it with pride or get rid of it?

We have put a poll above and of course you can post below your thoughts.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

WFA

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

If i was gifted a watch and it did not appeal to me I would keep it for sure. I take pride in friendship and family and if one of those 2 decided to gift me a watch knowing I love collecting watches I could not care less what the watch looks like...To me its the thought that counts and that I truly appreciate and would wear it with pride....

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I would keep it. In fact I can prove it.

http://www.watchfreeks.com/view_topic.php?id=3662&forum_id=32&highlight=gift+from+a+friend

A co-worker brought me a watch back from her vacation in India this holiday season. It is VERY nice but not exactly my style. I have a standing policy. If you give me a watch as a gift I will never sell or trade it. I have every one of the watches given to me to prove it. I don't wear many of them on a regular basis. The dilemma with this new watch is that I see the gifter every day. It is natural for her to see what I am wearing. In fact, everyone at work knows I collect watches. There are at least 4 other collectors in the office and we talk about watches on a regular basis. Also, I am the go to guy if you need a bracelet sized. So am I obligated to wear it? I have gently explained to the gifter that I have several watches and switch off daily. I have worn it twice since I received it. I will try to work it in on at least an occasional basis, but for sure, I will keep it.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Off it, what is the point of having something you dont like? I wouldnt sell it though I would gift it to someone that would appreciate it and wear it. This is why I do not participate in the give away program.

·
Registered
435 Posts
imported post

There are other reasons to cherish something beyond whether or not I would have picked this particular make/model/look myself ! a sincere gift from the heart is priceless, I would also wear it in rotation because the story behind it is far better than factoids about movements and functions, it was a gift from another being and not only does that mean a lot to me but it means something to the giver as well. Then again, I have been accused of being a sentimental fool more than once...wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

As I have before, if i win something or something is given to me by someone, whether gifted to me, or they bought it for me, if it is something that i would not personally wear, I dont keep it......but i gift it to someone else...

I won the lupah in one of CJ's giveaways, and I entered that contest more because of the fun of trying to guess Tv's birth of his child, and the lupah was a great prize, but it turned out to be something that i wouldnt wear, and I knew James really wanted a lupah, so I gifted it to him.....

my feeling is this, once given to me, its mine to do with.....that does not take away from the person that did the gifting at all, they still did something for you and that is the point...
now , i wouldnt go rubbing it in their face that what they gave me wasnt what i liked, I will tell them that i like it, and then quitley give it to someone who will enjoy it....

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
imported post

Keep it!!!!!! If somebody is kind enough to think of me and go to the effort of sending me something, its not the watch i enjoy, its the fact that everytime i look at it, it reminds me of how generous that person was, Getting the Renato from George is the first thing i had ever won, i will keep it forever and if i ever have kids, will hand it down and tell them it was the first thing i won :)

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Well so far you and I are the only two A$$hole's here!:%

tattoo chef wrote:
As I have before, if i win something or something is given to me by someone, whether gifted to me, or they bought it for me, if it is something that i would not personally wear, I dont keep it......but i gift it to someone else...

I won the lupah in one of CJ's giveaways, and I entered that contest more because of the fun of trying to guess Tv's birth of his child, and the lupah was a great prize, but it turned out to be something that i wouldnt wear, and I knew James really wanted a lupah, so I gifted it to him.....

my feeling is this, once given to me, its mine to do with.....that does not take away from the person that did the gifting at all, they still did something for you and that is the point...
now , i wouldnt go rubbing it in their face that what they gave me wasnt what i liked, I will tell them that i like it, and then quitley give it to someone who will enjoy it....

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:

tattoo chef wrote:

and im sure its not the first time...........LOL......Hey were being honest......thats all that matters......i dont think were assholes, just we have differences of opinon than others.........thats what makes the world go round........but just in case, you and i will stick together on this.....lol

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
RipitRon wrote:

tattoo chef wrote:

and im sure its not the first time...........LOL......Hey were being honest......thats all that matters......i dont think were assholes, just we have differences of opinon than others.........thats what makes the world go round........but just in case, you and i will stick together on this.....lol
Thats why I call you Douchey...

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

You got it Butternuts!!!:%

Tuna is a riot!!!:c

tattoo chef wrote:
RipitRon wrote:

tattoo chef wrote:

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

maybe keep it.Tough call on this one.I've been given watches from watch company owners.most I kept, some I held a contest and gave them to the winner.If its from a friend,I'll keep the gift in the spirit it was given.If I was gifted a butt ugly watch from one of these watch forums and I knew I wasn't going to wear it, I'd ask the person who gifted it if it was okay to gift it to someone else.If they said no, then I'd sic ron on them and give that sucker away regardless.

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

Even if it was butt-ugly, it doesn't cost me a dime to keep it.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I've never been gifted a watch that I didn't absolutely love. If I were gifted one and it didn't meet my expectations I would still wear it with pride because I have learned in my life that it is the thought that counts and not the actual gift that was given. For me this applies with everything I have ever been given. I always feel so humbled when anybody cares enough to give me anything. Now with that being said I don't want anybody sending me a brown bag full of dog Sh*t Ha Ha LOL!!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Rob, what's your address again?:%:%:%:%:%

CJ

Watchguru58 wrote:
I've never been gifted a watch that I didn't absolutely love. If I were gifted one and it didn't meet my expectations I would still wear it with pride because I have learned in my life that it is the thought that counts and not the actual gift that was given. For me this applies with everything I have ever been given. I always feel so humbled when anybody cares enough to give me anything. Now with that being said I don't want anybody sending me a brown bag full of dog Sh*t Ha Ha LOL!!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

:WW I am leaving WF's....thanks Chef.

OK, I'm back!!!!:%:c:b

Chef, I'm glad you gave it to James. I see how much he enjoys it and it makes it all worthwhile! And you did qualify to me that you entered more for the contest (baby date) than the gift. It's all.....no, better than good Brotha!!

CJ

tattoo chef wrote:

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:
:WW I am leaving WF's....thanks Chef.

OK, I'm back!!!!:%:c:b

Chef, I'm glad you gave it to James. I see how much he enjoys it and it makes it all worthwhile! And you did qualify to me that you entered more for the contest (baby date) than the gift. It's all.....no, better than good Brotha!!

CJ

tattoo chef wrote:

well, Thank you CJ........at least someone understands.......LOL.....

I hope no one thinks less of me ( i know, you cant think much less of me than you already do......).....but its just the way I am...

its not like i dont appreciate things that are done for me, ask any of my friends, even the friends i have here, like James, or Tuna, Ukwolfeman.......they know how appreciative I am for things that are done for me.........and I always try to repay that in someway or another...

i have been a very lucky individual this year, and have been gifted and won some great prizes, but I just never understood the fact of , just because it was given to me, that if i dont like it, i have to keep it......If someone is offended because they gifted me something, and i dont like it, well the skin is to thin......in my opinion. its like if you go out and get a meal, and you dont like the way it tastes....or someone made you something you dont like to eat..........do you still eat it?
let me give an example....

I was gifted a watch last year from someone at WG'S, and someone who I think is a great person, and just a caring individual.........She sent me a watch, that i didnt know was coming, to say thank you......I was utterly shocked, The feeling i had was without words.....The fact that someone just gave something to me, made me feel like a million bucks.......

but, it was a goldtone watch, and I just dont wear gold, at all. Now my father, who is into watches as much as I am, I had spoken with him on the phone a couple of nights before and he was looking for an all gold watch with a blue face.....well this is what i was gifted......So i gave it to my father, and he was estatic, he loves the watch , and still wears it till this day........

now i ask all of you, would it have been better, to wear something that i hate, or put it in a drawer forever , or to have given it to my father, who loves it, and wears it happily. to me, thats easy, someone elses generousity gave me the chance to make someone else happy.........I dont see anything wrong with that at all......

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:
Rob, what's your address again?:%:%:%:%:%

CJ

Watchguru58 wrote:
:%:%:%:%:%:%:%:lolHopefully it's not on fire on my front porch. That could be messy Ha Ha LOL!!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.