Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything that you feel is particular to where you live?

I'm not sure if this is true everywhere in Canada, but where I'm from we measure travel distances using time. For instance to drive from where I live to another city we wouldn't say it's 200km, we'd say it's two hours.

To get to the west coast from here is 16 hours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in Michigan, which is shaped like a right hand mitten. Whenever we tell someone where we're from we hold up our right hand and point to that spot on our hand.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've lived in California my entire life. It would take an entire volume to describe to you my locality's "idiosyncrasies." Needless to say, total and utter insanity reigns supreme and a smart watch is spotted on pretty much everyone's wrist here, at least in the big cities that I try and avoid like the plague, mostly because non-citizens (otherwise known as illegal immigrants) are given free reign to rob, rape, and pillage with zero consequences, protected by our mentally ill government leaders within illegal "sanctuary"cities.

Oh sorry, not sure how this in any way applies to the world of watches. No worries, just fell off my bandwagon for the morning. ;)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Yes, many. But I will restrict myself to just one very particular one and that has something to do with the way Rotterdammers pronounce street- and square names. And that is where we place the accent. Namely on the second instead of the first syllable of many street names. It makes no sense but you can pick out a true Rotterdammer right away.

We say North Square, people from outside my city say North Square. There's a TV series that is recorded and takes place in Rotterdam (cop series) and in one episode one of the actors says: "we are in the Sawmill Street". He has practised our slurring and thick accent but not enough, a Rotterdammer would say "we are in the Sawmill Street". That's it, nothing to see here people, keep moving :D :D

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Seattleites place a huge emphasis on coffee and as a result there are more coffee shops per capita than anywhere I've ever been. And it's not close. It's a stereotype that checks out.

If someone asks me how far away Portland OR is, I tell them it's about a 3 hour drive. I or they could look up the distance, but I figure they're more concerned with how long it'll take them to get there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts