Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I posted this over on the introduce yourself thread but think it should have been on here......
I have just joined as I rediscovered a watch at the back of a cupboard yesterday. It's an Eterna matic but I'm overwhelmed and can't find out how old it is. It's running nicely but I know it needs a service, I've been quoted £165 for the service which sounds expensive but I really like the look of the watch.
I'd appreciate any guidance as to its name, age etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Andrema,
Thank you for your response. I'm having a little trouble navigating this site so please bear with me whilst I learn.
The watch has no markings on the back, I'm attaching a better photo of the front, what was I thinking to post such a rubbish one last night?
Thanks again.
Liz

Attachments

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Possibly early to mid 50's. With the ball bearing logo on the dial, it will be an automatic movement, not a bumper or hand wind.
Eterna made their own movements, so that's pretty special.
Eterna was the first to apply the ballbearing rotor and also the bidirectional winding in their movements.

As to a model name, they didn't many model names back then that I can think of, except in 1956 they came out with the Centenaire line for their 100th anniversary.

Your watch repairer can tell what movement it is and give you a close date from that.

Just please, don't go to a jewelry store for repairs, go to a competent watchmaker/ repairer.

It's a very nice watch, I would get some quotes from other repairers if you're lucky enough to live in an area where you have that option.

Best of luck with it.

Let me edit this, it may even be from 1948, which would make it the first ballbearing rotor movement.

There's nothing at all on the back?

Reactions: UMZUZU
1 - 5 of 5 Posts