Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Every once in a while I will go into a jewelry store to compare retail prices vs. online prices. I'm happy to report that it is still much cheaper to make your purchases online even when you include shipping, Handling, and tax. I wanted to look at the Citizen that I have on order. This retails for about $475. They told me that they would take an additional 25% off of the watch making the price $356.25 not including sales tax. I'm happy to report that I only payed $129.60 after my Bing cash back from WOW. This also included free shipping. The Salesman asked me what I payed for this watch online and I felt bad telling him. Of course he through the warranty details and the authorized dealer information. I explained to him that I only purchase from authorized dealers and that the warranty's are still good. If you ever want to justify your online purchase price just stop into one of your local jewelry stores. You will feel much better, trust me.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

while it is true, that you can purchase online for cheaper, as we all do, i feel bad for the AD and the local jewelers who are trying to keep a business going and are constantly undercut by online vendors........it must be very difficult for them.....

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

that's exactly why this country is in the mess we're in - because we are an internet economy

tattoo chef wrote:
while it is true, that you can purchase online for cheaper, as we all do, i feel bad for the AD and the local jewelers who are trying to keep a business going and are constantly undercut by online vendors........it must be very difficult for them.....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
I hear ya, but I can buy three watches online or help out the jeweler and get one... Some people have to be able to touch it and feel it and hand their credit card to a vendor in person. Those folks are retail shoppers. I'm just too cheap. I give my jeweler $5 to size 'em. That's unfortunately as generous as I get, LOL.

By the way, did you see the AT Skyhawk, guru? That one is starting to sing to me a little bit.

David

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
that's exactly why this country is in the mess we're in - because we are an internet economy

tattoo chef wrote:
yes, but we are all guilty of it........how many of your last watch purchases alone were purchased from the internet.......and how many other things.....there are certain things i like to buy in stores, like boots and such, and prefer to buy pants and things in person as well....but it seems that for what i like the normal stores dont have them..........so i am forced to buy off the internet, because they usually can carry far more brands and quantity..........its a shame, most of the time, if i see something in a store that i like, i will say to myself, well, ill look it up online to see if i can get it cheaper...............

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

yes we are all at fault, and there's no easy answer to the complex economical problems it created -the consumer makes out well but business's lose out and it trickles down to loss of jobs as well

unfortunatley its irreversable

tattoo chef wrote:
WATCHURSELF wrote:

tattoo chef wrote:
yes, but we are all guilty of it........how many of your last watch purchases alone were purchased from the internet.......and how many other things.....there are certain things i like to buy in stores, like boots and such, and prefer to buy pants and things in person as well....but it seems that for what i like the normal stores dont have them..........so i am forced to buy off the internet, because they usually can carry far more brands and quantity..........its a shame, most of the time, if i see something in a store that i like, i will say to myself, well, ill look it up online to see if i can get it cheaper...............

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Interesting observations as too why the Economy is the way it is hmmmmmmmmmm!!! I dont agree with any of you on this but hey that isnt anything new now is it!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

No question online products are less expensive than traditional retail outlets. It's a Catch 22, it's hard to impossible not to take part in online shopping but this practice clearly has an effect on traditional distribution.

CJ

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Ron -we wouldnt have it any other way!! LOL

i am no economist - its JMHO on 1 of the factors which has influenced the economy

but again WTF do i know!!

RipitRon wrote:
Interesting observations as too why the Economy is the way it is hmmmmmmmmmm!!! I dont agree with any of you on this but hey that isnt anything new now is it!

·
Registered
185 Posts
imported post

I'm not so sure that on-line retailing has a big detrimental effect on the entire economy.

There probably would be a much smaller economy if there were no on-line sellers and there would be more unemployment overall. True, it takes less employees to sell something over the internet than in a storefront operation but some retailers manage to sell through both systems.

I don't feel bad for a retail watch seller who has hired employees that don't know much about the products they're selling let alone the whole watch industry.

I do feel bad because watch collectors frequently will go to a retail AD, try on a watch to make sure it is what they want and then go and order it on-line. What I personally can't justify is paying a 50% price difference to buy from the local jeweler instead of buying it on-line.

I wouldn't order jewelery gifts the same way; I'd pay the difference to make sure I got a quality product and not a knockoff or poor quality gemstone.

So far, we haven't had to worry too much about getting ripped off when making on-line watch purchases. The replica sellers have not gotten that brave. Yet

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

I believe most jewelers sell watches as an after thought.

The jewelery is where the real money is made anyway.

T.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Well in response to my original post. I received my Citizen Eco-Drive today and it does not seem to want to hold a charge and start ticking so I guess when you go to the jewelry store you at least know the product is working before you pay for it and walk out the door. When you order online you won't know what your getting until it arrives.

·
Registered
298 Posts
imported post

Yes I'm sorry to say that the local retailers can not compete with on-line sellers. Most of the sellers that I have done business usually do not charge shipping or tax on your purchase. I hate to see the end of local retail but it may come to that !!

·
Registered
281 Posts
imported post

I order some online, but I also buy retail. I have discovered that many times you can get them to at least lower the price enough to make it worth buying from them.

If I take up a lot of time with the sales person, and if they are nice and helpful then I will take the time to see what we can work out.

JC Penney for instance. Many times the watch will be marked at a certain price, say 250. I then ask them, can you scan it and see what it comes up as? You would be surprised at how often it rings up lower. Then ask if there are any sales coming up, they will often say...yes, saturday for 3 hours or something. Then ask if they have any coupons and sometimes they will have extras. And many times JCP will let you combine all the discounts and viola...you have gotten yourself a deal.

I once bought a Citizen Eco-Drive that retailed for something like 450...got it from Zales I think. Of course they had it marked at 450 and online it could be had for 250. I told them this and showed them on the blackberry. They gave me a sale price and called the manager over who also offered an additional discount. Anyways, ended up getting for around 275...the extra 25 bucks was ok with me considering they were helpful and I took up an hour of their time playing with all the different watches.

Sometimes it pays to buy online...but as far as retail, talk to them and ask...sometimes they will work with you and you get to actually handle and examine what you are buying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts