Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I've been given a (upon inspection) barely used ETA 7750 movement. The owner (recently deceased family member) bought it who knows where and the movement has sat in a drawer forever more.

The balance says ETA 7750 U-boat. I have had the movement checked and its genuine Swiss ETA. He had money so I suspect it was bought on a whim.

Whats it worth if I choose to sell? (it's chronograph and I'm more into regular watches) but if I choose to build it up.. Wheres a good starting point for a case, bezel, crystal etc?

I can get some shots up later.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
That would be the Valjoux ETA movement for chronographs. Otto Frei is selling that movement for around $399.

If you plan to build it into a watch of your own, have a look at what OF has available for this movement. Other alternative is to find a donor watch in reasonable condition and drop the 7750 into that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
An ETA 7750 is a good workhorse movement found in a lot of watches from different brands.

If it says U-boat on it, it likely came out of an U-boat watch? Maybe it was a defective movement that your relative swapped out, or he simply bought because he thought it was interesting?

As it is not new, it's likely not worth very much, maybe €100 or a bit more. If it's been sitting in a drawer for years and years, odds are it needs a service before being put into a case.

·
Super Moderator
9,620 Posts
Hi Rich ! 🙂 Well it looks like you already got a ton of
information on your movement there from the guys. 😯
That is fantastic, and now I guess it's just a matter
of whether you want to sell it. Or build it up like you
said now.

Honestly hope you decide to build it up, but whatever
you decide, hope you really have fun. So cool Rich ! 😎

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all. Thanks so much for the information and comments.

It may be a slow project but I'm gonna keep it and build it up into a nice timepiece.

Thanks again. You have all been a great help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts