Watch Freeks banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On June 6th or so I bought a Seiko Monster on this forum from Mesh Guy Nate. I offered a few dollars extra to ship to Canada over the border and he agreed. The package was sent promptly and value assessed at 75 dollars. The package seemed to bounce back from the US to Canada a few times and two weeks later I got a missed delivery notice in the mail asking for 90 dollars in duty. Canada customs had opened the package and found the hand tag with a MSLP of 495 UDSD and valued the watch at that My next day visit at the Post office was not pleasant. The package was not released as I refused to pay and asked for a reassessment on the value by customs. I wasn't sure what would happen and Thursday i got another missed delivery notice with no notice of duty and taxes owed. Yesterday I presented my notice and picked the watch up with no duty or tax. Nice happy ending and the little guy can sometimes win. Lessons learned? If you ship over borders don't include the hand tag if possible and place a receipt inside the package matching the declared value.

·
Super Moderator
14,603 Posts
Great ending to that story Myke, and a great watch there too ! :smile: These new Monsters are so neat honestly. You've got that classic feel of the original Monsters, but then the black bezel, and chapter ring add a realy nice element into the equation. Even the markers have a sharper angling to them that reminds you of shark's teeth. Really is fantastic ! Big congratulations there Myke !!! :eek:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice ending to the story.

Reactions: Myke

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy cow Brian I think your a monster holic Did I count 5 in that photo?. Borders are difficult for the buyer and seller both. I am very happy with this watch as Nate pointed out in his sale post it has drilled lugs for quick strap changes and i like that option. Thanks guys for posting:smile-thumb2:

Way to go Myke.

Yes the Monster is an awesome watch.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Glad it worked out for you!

I've had to fight them before as well.

Bought a SSC for $120 and was assessed at $295. Ended up sending receipts and copies of the for sale thread and got a refund. Important to keep all your documentation. :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Nice Seiko,Nice to hear you won the battle. Money hungry buggers

Sent from my Galaxy S6 edge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. It's a timely topic as I just ordered a brand new Omega Speedmaster Moon watch from Brooklyn, NY. I am hoping against all hope that I don't get assessed on the full price as I paid a little closer to half of the retail price. This is the only process I dread in purchasing a watch from the U.S. As a Canadian customer. Your story gives me hope!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just ordered a Seiko from a dealer in Florida. Got it last week in the mail with no customs fees. I must just be lucky because I order from the U.S. All the time and never get dinged for customs. Glad you won!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts