Watch Freeks banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Aspiring Expert
2,093 Posts
Don't think of a "grail watch" as something that is "perfect", think of a watch that someone highly desires but is nearly impossible to acquire...

·
Senior Freek
1,374 Posts
I don't ever think in terms of grail anythings or bucket lists. I just enjoy the ride that life takes me on. with watches, all I'm interested in is what my next purchase will be.

·
Watch Freek
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
You are a lucky lady @Mrs Wiggles, not having or needing a "grail". Complete satisfaction with your own collection is very good, both for the mental health and the bank balance.

[OldCurmudgeonMode]
I admit that I find the entire concept of the grail rather odd, almost unhealthy. I'm convinced that there is no such thing as the perfect watch (just as there is no perfect car, nor perfect house). It's just a watch you think you'd rather like. Imbuing the search for it with overtones of sacred endeavour seems only to increase the chances of disappointment once it is on the wrist.
[/OldCurmudgeonMode]
I wouldn't say I am totally satisfied with my collection, nor would I say I ever will be. If I were to be offered any watch free of charge, it would probably be the Omega Aqua Terra, but to say it is my grail watch would not be true. I know how my tastes have changed over the years, so to spend a big lump of my son's inheritance on a watch I may not even like in a year from now, would be daft to say the least. I own 30 watches, and there isn't a single one I can't criticize for something, and to be honest, regardless of what I may be prepared to pay, I don't think such a watch exists.

·
Aspiring Expert
2,093 Posts
I wouldn't say I am totally satisfied with my collection, nor would I say I ever will be. If I were to be offered any watch free of charge, it would probably be the Omega Aqua Terra, but to say it is my grail watch would not be true. I know how my tastes have changed over the years, so to spend a big lump of my son's inheritance on a watch I may not even like in a year from now, would be daft to say the least. I own 30 watches, and there isn't a single one I can't criticize for something, and to be honest, regardless of what I may be prepared to pay, I don't think such a watch exists.
If I were to be offered any watch free of charge it would be one of the most expensive watches money could buy! :D

·
Registered
Omega Day Date, Raymond Weil(s), Seiko(s) and micro brands.
101 Posts
I understand this statement, but I disagree. I have acquired my grail. It's not like it was the end of some great quest. It will not stop me from buying other watches. I believe it's much like getting married. You'll know when you find the right one. But, I guess some people never do. Which is alright too.:)
To much to ask not to turn the OP's great thread into a guitar show ? I think we already have one of those somewhere...

·
Registered
Omega Day Date, Raymond Weil(s), Seiko(s) and micro brands.
101 Posts
Have you ever come across this? It was posted recently on Wus.

I know JLC has a Reverso, 2 face, and the concept 4 face (God willing I need as my grail to pass on to my daughter) with a plethora of complications.
But this watch above Nove Gemini stood out.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts