Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Watch Freek
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often read about people's grail watches, and have often asked myself which watch I would choose if I won the lottery, but I really don't know.

Aesthetically speaking, I think the best looking watch available is the Chris Ward Super compressor, which I already own. I think the Chris Ward Vintage C65 isn't far behind, nor is the Glycine Airman, and I also own both of those as well. OK, I know there are watches that cost considerably more, and are technically better, but none of them appeal to me any more than the watches I own. Some people may think this a good thing, but I can't help feeling a little left out. What if I came into money, and had a whole load of cash to take down to the nearest luxury jeweller, what the hell would I buy?

Is it just me, or does anyone else have the same problem?

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
Honestly think I do have the same problem Wiggles, but I am not sure
that's it's actually a problem. 😄😊You enjoy certain styles of watches,
and have actually been able to find watches you really like within those
styles. (y)(y):cool: So it's that simple really. ..You don't have to spend a
ton of money to enjoy the hobby, or have a watch you really like, or
love.

If you came into a whole bunch of money, or found that buried treasure.
I think you would stay the same exact way you are, and keep buying the
same type of watches you've been buying. ..Oh sure, you might try a
watch from one of the bigger, more expensive brands. But I think it would
be just so you could compare it to one of your affordable watches in a
cool review ! 😀(y);)

For myself, I kind of roll with the punches when it comes to watches.
I see a ton I like, almost everything I see. 😊But mostly get much of
my enjoyment from just seeing, and learning about all these incredible
watches believe it, or not. ..What a terrific question though ! ..Thanks
so so much for coming up with it !!!

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
If you want to, and can afford it without causing any problems for yourself, then yes.

If you want to, but can not afford it without causing any problems for yourself, then no.

If you don't want to, then no.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,910 Posts
Every watch is a Grail watch until I have it in my hands, then another Grail appears.

·
6,461 Posts
That! :p

Reactions: Accutronitis

·
Watch Freek
932 Posts
My "Grail" watch.

This is as close as I will ever get to it.

·
Aspiring Expert
2,093 Posts
My "Grail" watch.

This is as close as I will ever get to it.
Now that is more like my idea of a Grail!

If everybody with some money can all go out and get one it ain't much of a "Grail", after all, there is only one Holy Grail and all the money in the world can't buy it... ;)

·
3,039 Posts
I'll agree with Chaz, any grail is replaced by a new grail once the prior is obtained. What, your watch fix is suddenly satisfied forever?

For the record I've never had a grail in watches, only guitars. I got mine and I still buy guitars.

·
Watch Freek
932 Posts
I'll agree with Chaz, any grail is replaced by a new grail once the prior is obtained. What, your watch fix is suddenly satisfied forever?

For the record I've never had a grail in watches, only guitars. I got mine and I still buy guitars.
What were your grail guitars?

These were a few of mine.

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
Holy cow, the guys added a whole new element to this question
that is so true really Wiggles, with the musical grails thing. ;):D
And it really is true when you think about it honestly ! Once you
find that watch, or style, it often only means you have found that
particular watch, or type of watch you were looking at. Just like
the guys are talking about with other things like guitars ! 🎸

Or Indiana Jones might with his everchanging quests. 🤠😀(y)

·
Watch Freek
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not convinced my grail watch isn't out there, I just haven't seen it yet. I have watches in my collection that are so close being my perfect watch, but none of them have quite made it. I think some people believe it has to be a high end megabucks watch, and that's fine if that's what you want, but for me it's just something that has to press every button, and give me a thrill when I see it.

·
Aspiring Expert
2,093 Posts
I'm not convinced my grail watch isn't out there, I just haven't seen it yet. I have watches in my collection that are so close being my perfect watch, but none of them have quite made it. I think some people believe it has to be a high end megabucks watch, and that's fine if that's what you want, but for me it's just something that has to press every button, and give me a thrill when I see it.
That's more like what I was talking about, money doesn't make a watch a "Grail", I would love to own a Ulysses Nardin Freak if I have that kind of money but that doesn't make it a "Grail" in my book!

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Holy cow, the guys added a whole new element to this question that is so
true really Wiggles, with the musical grails thing. ;):D And it really is true
when you think about it honestly ! Once you find that watch, or style, it often
only means you have found that particular watch, or type of watch you were
looking at. Just like the guys are talking about with other things like guitars ! 🎸
Or Indiana Jones might with his everchanging quests. 🤠😀(y)
Guitars are maybe different than watches... As you play, it can become an extension of yourself, letting your soul express emotion. It's why some people spend a lot of time (and money) looking for "the one".. It's not necessarily a grail guitar, nor the most expensive guitar, but "the" guitar that feels the best when you play it.

For me, there are three, all very different: a used Gibson SG-3 that I bought for 450 francs a few years ago, a Gibson Les Paul CM that I purchased for 350 francs, and a Framus Renegade that I purchased for €1400 back in 2010. For some reason, to me, those guitars just "feel right", even though they are not even remotely the same shapes, nor neck shapes, nor made of the same woods, nor equipped with the same pickups etc.

I don't know if one can have that sort of connection with a watch.. maybe in terms of memories, but not in terms of emotional expression via the watch itself ?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts