Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That bracelet is so '70s, man.
The original 19 mm Speidel Mach One 'Twist-o-Flex' band alone goes for between $150 and $225 (not including shipping!) on eBay. The bracelet that comes with this re-edition is made to look like the Speidel. Without the 'Fix-o-Flex' part. (There were many XXX-o-Flex bands back in the day). But I find the pricing of those originals a bit opportunistic.

·
Registered
955 Posts
You pulled the trigger and put a smile on MY face.That one had you. To resist would have been futile. It's an awesome piece and looking forward to your pics and thoughts....Mega Congrats.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You pulled the trigger and put a smile on MY face.That one had you. To resist would have been futile. It's an awesome piece and looking forward to your pics and thoughts....Mega Congrats.
Yes, it ticks all the boxes. My watch preference has changed completely over the past 20 years. Not towards the type of watch, dive watches have always been my favourite. But during the 80s and 90s I did not like those 70s designs at all. But that has changed. But not all, there still are designs that I find hideous :)

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll let someone else do the talking:

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was just shipped. Now my own take on the watch. I just recently found out two things: I mentioned this watch in a post about vintage dive watches on 8 August 2017 and secondly it's a resurrected Swiss brand (and not British as I thought). Somehow I stumbled over this watch about a month ago, I guess by reading about it in an article. So I posted about it again. The reason I like it is not because the original was used in a movie and I even didn't know this until the article. I like it because it represents all that I like in a dive watch from that era. I had never heard of the brand before but that's the charm, it belongs in a long line of manufacturers that didn't survive the 'quartz crisis'. Somehow the brand names did survive and their registration maintained. But apparently they are for sale. Wolbrook and Douglas are other examples. It has that typical 70s transitional case with matching 'rally style' bracelet. I will be able to comment on fit and finish as soon as I have it. The movement is a Seiko NH35A, a low cost but reliable workhorse. An ETA 2428-2 would have pushed the price up too much I think and perhaps a maker like Alsta cannot source them at all.

I chose the bracelet version but interestingly enough on a rubber strap it's priced almost equal. I thought: why? Well it turns out that the strap is a genuine Tropic strap (from the makers of ISOfrane, both brands are now owned by a German company). This strap retails for 99 Euro. The bracelet, when ordered separately, is about 100 Euro. Fortunately Alsta went from 19 to 20mm lug width as 19mm straps are a bit harder to find. And I have several Tropic clones available. To wrap this up: this style of watch fits me like a glove. It's just me.

·
Super Moderator
9,371 Posts
Ooh cool Frans, too cool actually !! ;) :cool: This watch has such
a buzz around it, and now it's going to be on your wrist in no time.
It's fantastic news, and I would imagine you will be one of the first
first to actually be seeing one, and enjoying one ! 😵🙂

It really seems like Alsta hit a grand slam with this looker, and it
definitely captures that vintage charm sir. ..Can't wait to see it, and
hear your excitement when it arrives !!! Let's hope the time flies !

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I also will like is questions from those colleagues who are even remotely interested in watches. Interested enough to notice I have (yet) another watch. Where will this crazy habit end? Or when? Am I moving from homages to re-issues?

·
Super Moderator
9,371 Posts
What I also will like is questions from those colleagues who are even remotely interested in watches. Interested enough to notice I have (yet) another watch. Where will this crazy habit end? Or when? Am I moving from homages to re-issues?
Hopefully it doesn’t end sir ! 🙂😉 Maybe re-issues is the
next phase, and maybe those colleagues will even become
more interested in watches now. Eventually some of them
have to see the light right?! 😄

·
Registered
955 Posts
Where will this crazy habit end? Or when?

Habit,obsession,passion call it what you will but end ? Hope not.
For me I found it comes in waves.Sometimes 2-3 years go by without a single buy then in a three month period I'am adding 3 or 4 new watches.Each of those buys have always been divers but now my interest is moving towards a first time chronograph.....The Hunt is on
But not all, there still are designs that I find hideous :)
Just curious as to what designs you would place in that category ?.......Cheers

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Super Moderator
9,371 Posts
Frans, what is that one there sir? 😲

Looks like it might be some amazing vintage Enicar. 😀
The finish on it is astounding, and kind of reminds me
of a finishing style Seiko used of one of their watches
recently. This must have been what that original style
looked like. Wow, just is stunning !

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Frans, what is that one there sir? 😲

Looks like it might be some amazing vintage Enicar. 😀
The finish on it is astounding, and kind of reminds me
of a finishing style Seiko used of one of their watches
recently. This must have been what that original style
looked like. Wow, just is stunning !
Ha, ha, ha, that is one of the designs I don't like. ;) Yes, it's an Enicar. It's this style that put me off 70s watches.

·
Super Moderator
9,371 Posts
Ha, ha, ha, that is one of the designs I don't like. ;) Yes, it's an Enicar. It's this style that put me off 70s watches.
😄 We can’t like everything right sir?! 🙂 Have to admit,
do actually like that style of case. With how it’s on the way
to that cool UFO-like feel from the time. But can see how
the wrinkly finish could turn a lot of watch fans off. (y)

·
Super Moderator
9,371 Posts
Can’t believe how fast that got to you sir, and somehow
it looks even more impressive there on the wrist Frans ! 😉
Love how even though this was evidently a classic design
years ago that it looks totally fresh, and modern now. (y)(y)
I mean we just don’t see cases, and dials like this today
really. Or bracelets for that matter. ..If this were a car it
would be hitting on all cylinders !

Holy cow, really is extraordinary ! BIG congrats there sir !!!

ENJOY ! 😀

1 - 20 of 32 Posts