Watch Freeks banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Watch Freek
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I travel to Thailand quite often and consider Thailand our second home. Many years ago while walking through Bangkok's Chinatown we walked into a small mom and pop shop that had both new and used Seikos. One of the watches that caught my eye was a Seiko limited edition designed for the Thai market only honoring the King Of Thailand. I was going to purchase the watch but then my wife and I thought if I should be the one to own this watch, I am not Thai and would be taking this watch out of the country and that kind of botherd me. My wife and I believed it would be better served for a Thai to own the watch and keep the watch in Thailand. I know it is not the only one made but it is a special watch to honor the King Of Thailand and as such would have more meaning to a Thai then it would to me, so I did not purchase it. I always thought about this watch and wondered if I made the right decision.
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock

·
Long Time Member
539 Posts
I would think the Thai people would be happy with a foreigner honoring their King.
And I would have snagged that yellow-dialed beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,660 Posts
What a terrific story, along with post HH ! :)

Thanks a bunch for sharing !!!

Yes, although I completely see where you, and your wife were coming
from with your thinking. Which was very very thoughtful, and cool. 😉
I have to agree with w4 on snatching up that limited edition. Because
like he said, they would most likely be happy that you enjoyed the watch,
as well as the country itself. So getting the watch would kind of be like
a gift to them, just as much as it would be to you.

Nevertheless, I totally understand how the both of you were thinking.

(y) (y)

·
Watch Guru
2,939 Posts
Should have bought it, just the fact that they had some to sell means that the locals already got what they wanted.

He who hesitates is lost....my Dad always said this to me.

·
Oris Freek
3,878 Posts
Why is it that what other people think of your watches means so much to you ?
Buy for yourself man. You like it, buy it. You could always flip it if you don't bond.
Life is too short for regret...😊

·
Watch Freek
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why is it that what other people think of your watches means so much to you ?
Buy for yourself man. You like it, buy it. You could always flip it if you don't bond.
Life is too short for regret...😊
The watch was not that important to me I would have bought it but after talking with my wife we both thought since it honored the King it would have more meaning for a Seiko fan in Thailand then myself. I am also around a community of Thais and hang out and drink with them quite often when I am in Thailand wearing that watch would have made me feel uncomfortable having to explain that it honored the King,

·
2,986 Posts
What we don’t know is wether the locals would be honored or offended by your purchase. You travel there often so you’d have a better understanding.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife and I travel to Thailand quite often and consider Thailand our second home. Many years ago while walking through Bangkok's Chinatown we walked into a small mom and pop shop that had both new and used Seikos. One of the watches that caught my eye was a Seiko limited edition designed for the Thai market only honoring the King Of Thailand. I was going to purchase the watch but then my wife and I thought if I should be the one to own this watch, I am not Thai and would be taking this watch out of the country and that kind of botherd me. My wife and I believed it would be better served for a Thai to own the watch and keep the watch in Thailand. I know it is not the only one made but it is a special watch to honor the King Of Thailand and as such would have more meaning to a Thai then it would to me, so I did not purchase it. I always thought about this watch and wondered if I made the right decision. View attachment 138007
Lovely sentiment. It just didn’t feel right to you and you wanted it to still be there for whatever local who might wander in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Long Time Member
144 Posts
I have to think that if you wanted it, you certainly should have purchased it.

My take is that you are so knowledgeable about the watch, perhaps even more so than some of the locals! Therefore, you should wear it with pride and confidence!

I am not familiar with the watch and don't even know if that is the coat of arms (or whatever) for the King, but by wearing it, someone may mistake you for Him or being Royality! Just play along. No one should get their nose out of joint over it and if they do, just feign ignorance or say it was a gift (from the King!)!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts