Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I know that there are many friends here that know I'm helping to restore a vintage 1968 Huey helicopter that flew 2 tours in Vietnam. Well, we got some GREAT news yesterday. We finally heard back from the FAA and we have been CLEARED to fly her!!!!!!!:b:b:b:b:bThe FAA FINALLY accepted all of our volumanous paperwork and we now will be able to get her off the ground!! After 4 long years of restoration, she can now fly and serve as a reminder to everyone the sacrifices our brave men and women made during the Vietnam War! We are all so happy that we can't stand it. So hopefully in a few weeks we'll be getting her off the ground!!

I also want to thank everyone for their encouragement and support, it really means alot to me!!

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

WOW Thats' Great News Brian!! i know you guys worked hard on that piece of American History - its a real statement for the respect you guys have for our NAM VETS

i tip my hat to you sir and all involved!!

let us know when that baby flys!! and post some pics!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Congratulations, great news!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

That is pretty cool and congrats.

Now where is that helicopter going to live now and what will it be used for? Will it end up in a museum or private collection?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Congrats Brian...I have been following you all along with your progress on your heli...Very happy for you...I know all involved put many many hard working hours into it. Let us know how she flys....:c

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . Awesome news Brian!!! Glad to hear that she will be in the air soon. She will be able to continue serving the nation, as she was always intended to do . . . .

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

Great news!!!

Just keep that Jesus nut tight and have a good time.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

congrats Brian its been a long hual for all of you that worked on it and the problems that were overcome.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
That is pretty cool and congrats.

Now where is that helicopter going to live now and what will it be used for? Will it end up in a museum or private collection?
Well, she'll be used for a couple of things. We have started a search and rescue operation with it because they are no other state or local agencies that have anything with this kind of lifting power. She'll also be flown to air shows, Vietnam veterans programs and to schools for history displays! We are in the process right now of putting together a full schedule of events for next summer! We rebuilt her to be flying and that's what she'll be doing!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments! As you can see I'm very excited and this thing has taken us 4 long years to get where she is and we are all just ready to see her get into the air!! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
imported post

Bryan - what a beauty. I know a lot of guys that loved to hear the sound of these coming to pick them up !! WOW what a great job. I would love be able to see her in person. Do you know if this is the way she looked during her tour? Was she outfitted with any guns ?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

rmar wrote:
Bryan - what a beauty. I know a lot of guys that loved to hear the sound of these coming to pick them up !! WOW what a great job. I would love be able to see her in person. Do you know if this is the way she looked during her tour? Was she outfitted with any guns ?
As the historian of the group, I did alot of research and found alot of pictues. I actually found both a pilot who flew this Huey and a crew chief that flew on this Huey in Vietnam! From those guys, they both had pictures of her when it was in Vietnam. This bird is painted exactly as she was in Vietnam! She also at one time had M-60 machine guns mounted on each side of her. We have two M-60's that will also be mounted on her as well!

·
Registered
298 Posts
imported post

Brian - very cool - I would love to see her when she is outfitted and ready to go !! Any idea where she will be kept ?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

That is so cool, Brian! I'm very happy for you. It's great when a plan comes together. Best wishes in the final stages of the project. keep us posted!

David

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

rmar wrote:
Brian - very cool - I would love to see her when she is outfitted and ready to go !! Any idea where she will be kept ?
We have her in a hanger at a small airport on the north side of Indianapolis. If ANYONE will be in the area and you would like to see her, please let me know because I would love to meet you all and I'd be proud to show the Huey to you all!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts