Watch Freeks banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am a regular listener of Howard Stern on Sirius radio. This week he did a 10-15 minute rap on watches and watch winders. He stated that he has always worn an inexpensive quartz (US Army? and Swiss Army were the two he mentioned). It sounded like a friend recently turned him on to nicer watches. He said liked the looks of the Cartier Roadster (I am not familiar with the model) and bought one. He went on ripping the Cartier as a POS that needs to be wound and reset everyday.

He could not understand how a new, expensive watch stops every day and needed setting and winding. It was really funny, he was so aggravated. Then one of his staff gave him a winder but he couldn't figure out how to set it. I guess like many that are not watch enthusiasts, he was clueless how the watch or the winder operated. He got one of his crew to help him out with the winder setup. In fact he stated that he had a custom winder that was gifted to him and a Cartier winder prior to getting his newest winder as a gift to help solve his issue with the new automatic. :%:%:%

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Seattle wrote:
I could sell him a really nice Timex Triathlon......:b:b

CJ
:pic

POST #2000:)

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I love the show and still listen to it daily.
The bit about his watch was funny to listen to, especially as someone who collects watches.

Typical Howard complaining about anything that is not stupid simple. was a funny bit.

I laughed out loud when he said that he typically had only spent $100-200 on his watches and then bought an "expensive" watch and had to actually "wind it" each day until he got the winder. It was funny and obviously he understands the automatic concept and much of what he said was "stick" for the air, but it was funny.

I would love to see which watch he has.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

Man...have I got some watches for Howard!!! I have some of the original Timex Expedition watches...black leather straps....tiny 38mm dials....they just need a battery and I'll sell 'em to Howard for $500 each!!!! He'll not have to worry about winding or setting it!!! Humm...maybe he'll pay me $1000 for my Older Invicta Pro Diver....it has the 10 year Battery in it!!! :%:%:%:%

Man...I'll bet I could even get a couple of hundred for this POC Mirus Military watch. I only paid 15 bucks for it on the bay...and I am not sure it's even worth that. But it keeps excellent time and is a quartz watch!!!

:b:bWoooo Hooo...I'll sell him all my quartz watches and make a fortune!!!!!:b:b

·
Registered
71 Posts
imported post

It so funny, I can explain the concept of an automatic watch to my friends and they still don't get it. One complained that his friends Rolex didn't have an idiglo light like his Timex. Why couldn't Rolex do that he asks?

Either you get it or you don't I suppose.:eek:

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

the key is a power reserve. If the watch has a 40 hour or more power reserve and is fully charged, then it can be set down for a full day and picked up again and still be running. I bought my step father an automatic prodiver and he loves it now that the power reserve is fully charged up.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Wow Marc, post 2000 and you wasted it on me???
Unfortunately, I made the post BEFORE I realized it was a milestone. :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

anyone know which automatic cartier model watch he has?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.