Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, was just thinking about this. Maybe you have too, or have some ideas, or opinions about it.

Do you think that today's smart watches will be looked at as, or become classic watches that people wear decades from now?
Like a classic sport, dress, or even digital watch from decades back.

Or might they be considered gadgets, and become obsolete after a couple of years, and various new models are released?
Like a TV, VCR, cell phone, or smart phone has over the years?

What are your opinions about this everyone?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Guys, was just thinking about this. Maybe you have too, or have some ideas, or opinions about it.

Do you think that today's smart watches will be looked at as, or become classic watches that people wear decades from now?
Like a classic sport, dress, or even digital watch from decades back.

Or might they be considered gadgets, and become obsolete after a couple of years, and various new models are released?
Like a TV, VCR, cell phone, or smart phone has over the years?

What are your opinions about this everyone?

Smart watches are tools like smart phones are. Therefore they will always become obsolete and require a refresh only because new capabilities will be added.

The watches most people on this forum are enthusiastic about have already peaked in function. Even the master watchmaker Phillipe Dufour said, and I paraphrase, that there is nothing left to learn about watch making for the most part. Now its just about executing it well.

Classic anything, from cars, to watches, are basically products that are in essence complete products. Handbags and shoes that cater to women's tastes are also in essence complete. Their function is well defined and therefore only thing left is gained on a personal level. They can therefore be "perfect" to someone.

Smart Watches and Computers ect will never be a complete product as you can always fit more and more stuff in them. They are limitless and therefore will never reach "perfection."

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
They will go the way of the hulu hoop or beepers, but even faster. The small screens on smart watches negates the use of most apps, and you would need a jewelers loupe and a stylus to try to use it like a tablet.

The battery life is extremely limited, and in direct sunlight they are just about unreadable.

Giant Fail!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
They will go the way of the hulu hoop or beepers, but even faster. The small screens on smart watches negates the use of most apps, and you would need a jewelers loupe and a stylus to try to use it like a tablet.

The battery life is extremely limited, and in direct sunlight they are just about unreadable.

Giant Fail!
My stepdaughter is a hulu hooping machine! I'm finding holes here in your logic, Chaz! :p

Seriously, she hulu hooped for an hour while reading a book! Who does that?

·
Registered
319 Posts

Giant Fail!
Only way wearable technology disappears now is when people start implanting tech into their bodies.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Many mechanical watches last for a lifetime or more. Smartwatches will be found in landfills after they die or become obsolete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
A very tough question to answer as the smart watch is still in its infancy. Apple has raised the bar and as soon as their watch gains momentum it's over and out for other brands. But I don't think the smart watch will reach the same level of sophistication and prestige of ownership as the mechanical watch. But it's apples and pears here. You just cannot compare a mass produced electronic device with a hand built masterpiece from one of the big guns (Patek, Lange, AP, etc.). Those smart watches have a very rapid upgrade cycle whereas the high-end mechanical watch typically has not. Both cater for a completely different audience, I'm still contemplating what the Apple Watch would bring me. More distraction I guess and I don't need this.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
today's smartwatches will be about as useful and desireable in 5 yrs as the $300 HandSpring PDA that's been sitting in my desk drawer for the last 10 yrs..

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
A very tough question to answer as the smart watch is still in its infancy. Apple has raised the bar and as soon as their watch gains momentum it's over and out for other brands. But I don't think the smart watch will reach the same level as sophistication and prestige of ownership as the mechanical watch. But it's apples and pears here. You just cannot compare a mass produced electronic device with a hand built masterpiece from one of the big guns (Patek, Lange, AP, etc.). Those smart watches have a very rapid upgrade cycle whereas the high-end mechanical watch typically has not. Both cater for a completely different audience, I'm still contemplating what the Apple Watch would bring me. More distraction I guess and I don't need this.

I'm with you Frans...I need NO MORE DISTRACTIONS.

Count me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
today's smartwatches will be about as useful and desireable in 5 yrs as the $300 HandSpring PDA that's been sitting in my desk drawer for the last 10 yrs..
If I'm going to spend $350+ on a watch, it isn't going to be one that is obsolete within 3 years, if not sooner. Then there is what #four said about landfills... we're already producing too much trash... I'll keep my watches well beyond 3 years, recycle what become complete broken and usable, donate what I don't want, sell a few along the way, and pass on the best to the next generation.

Thank you, but I'll pass, and I hope the fad does too. I doubt it will though. I think in another 10 years most people will be wearing all sorts of connected devices all the time, have them all over their home, and I'll be unplugging. Call me paranoid, but I don't want any one person, one company, or any one government knowing that much about me without working for it (let alone pay for them to have it!).

**throw in the others' comments about screen size, distraction, and so forth for good measure.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts

:p

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm reserving judgement....I haven't seen the Apple Watch in person....I want to actually hold it in my hand....that will tell me a lot.

The idea of it is intriguing....I'm not too sure about the practicality of it though.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Only way wearable technology disappears now is when people start implanting tech into their bodies.
Yes that gets to what I was thinking: I would bet that in 50 years (most likely much less) we'll all be connected via surgical implants, able to communicate like a Borg hive on Star Trek.

Thus, today's smartwatches will be obsolete and unusable, but mechanical watches will continue to stand the test of time. And there will continue to be a subculture of enthusiasts and a small group of watch repairmen who will keep our pieces ticking.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Probably like a calculator watch.........a novelty of the past!

·
Super Moderator
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's really interesting, and a lot of fun to think about isn't it guys?! :)

Can only imagine how many new versions of smart watches will come out in the future, but always wondered if any one, like the originals could become classics, like regular watches have within the hobby over the years.

Or if their current software would still allow them to tell time, or work years from now. Best if we just wait 20-30 years to see I guess. :smile:

Great hearing what you guys have to say. Thanks very much everyone !

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
To be fair, there will always be collectors out there no matter how obsolete the current generation of smart-watches become.

I have friends still using Apple Newtons on a daily basis.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts