Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good video. Thanks for posting

However, i have one question. How would dust enter the case if the crown is left unscrewed.
I'm not too sure on that one. But dust seems to be able to get anywhere. So by leaving the crown open I guess some can slide in. :confused:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm not too sure on that one. But dust seems to be able to get anywhere. So by leaving the crown open I guess some can slide in. :confused:
If air can enter, so can dust particles. Same reason that it's not advisable to remove caseback unless absolutely necessary (in a smaller way)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If air can enter, so can dust particles. Same reason that it's not advisable to remove caseback unless absolutely necessary (in a smaller way)
I am not sure i am on the same page with that response. All my watches that do not have screw down crowns do not have any dust in them. As a matter fact one of them is 100m WR. I find it hard to believe that rolex relies 100% on the protection that the screwdown crown offers.

I've never owned a rolex so i really cant speak to their watches.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Old news is good news. There's always a newbe lurking; let alone those of us that retain so little for all we read&research. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
While daydreaming about a Rolex last week i pondered a thread someone posted the reconditioning of a Rolex, before and after pics etc. i'd like to view that thread again but it could've been a year ago. Anyway, thanx again for the post.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not sure i am on the same page with that response. All my watches that do not have screw down crowns do not have any dust in them. As a matter fact one of them is 100m WR. I find it hard to believe that rolex relies 100% on the protection that the screwdown crown offers.

I've never owned a rolex so i really cant speak to their watches.
When you unscrew a crown it pops out. This lets dust in. This is equivalent to a regular non screw down crown when you pull it out to change the time, pulling it out will let dust in. When the crown is closed it does not let dust in(for non screw down crown) Only difference between the two is one you screw out the other you pull out. They both essentially sit the same way when closed. Flush with the case. It's how you open them that varies.

·
Registered
527 Posts
When you unscrew a crown it pops out. This lets dust in. This is equivalent to a regular non screw down crown when you pull it out to change the time, pulling it out will let dust in. When the crown is closed it does not let dust in(for non screw down crown) Only difference between the two is one you screw out the other you pull out. They both essentially sit the same way when closed. Flush with the case. It's how you open them that varies.
This is incorrect. A Sub has 300 m water resistance whether or not the crown is screwed down. Air and dust do not enter the case when one unscrews the crown.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
So I can dive with the crown unscrewed and run into no issues?
This one was 200m WR and the crown was a push pull, with no screw down at all!

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Not all crowns and seals are created equal! Leaving a crown in the pulled-out position is not necessarily the same as leaving one unscrewed. A dive watch that has extra seals in the crown just in case it's not screwed down can be as water resistant or more than one that doesn't screw in at all and advertises 100m WR... In any case, I highly doubt household dust can get in through a crown unless it's silt like you would have in a desert... :rolleyes:

But why would you you leave it pulled out anyway? To conserve the battery? Not always the case... Unscrewed? I wouldn't be worried about dust as much as I would be about humidity...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no you can not go in the water with crown unscrewed, my buddy let his friend look at his SUB when he had it back he just wore watch and went in water, MISTAKE !
buddy unscrewed the crown and water went in !
Hmm. That's what I felt but others disagree. Guess I won't know until I try. Not that I plan on it nor do I owns Rolex haha

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
How do I maintain my Rolex 16610 Sub? Easy, put it into a safe deposit box in Chicago and leave it there for my son when I croak.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts